Hey,

So I figured I got some trouble with durability during playing. Namely with the songs cupid's dead by Extreme (the sort of intermezzo-ish guitar part) and the verse of Highway Star by Deep Purple (only when soley picking down).

So how do I most effectively improve the durability of my skills? Because it really hurts to play these songs.
Endurance.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
You slow down. Playing guitar should never hurt. You will have to slow it down and work your way up. This is why i often don't stop working on tunes until i can play them comfortably slightly faster than the original tempo, that way playing the original tempo will be a piece of cake.

But yeah, you slow down and keep building your chops on that tune, making sure you are not feeling tense or feeling any pain. Then when you have reached the original tempo, keep working on it. It's like lifting weights (except it isn't supposed to strain on your body), if you start at 30kg and your goal is 50kg, when you come up to 50kg you set a new goal for 60kg, then when you are able to lift 60kg 50 will feel so much easier. Not the best analogy, but you get my point. Build up slowly, and then push it a little more. Make sure you are not straining yourself or hurting yourself, relax.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
It's just takes time and practice. You can't run a marathon without training up to it. Just keep working on it and make sure you're relaxed at all times. You'll get better.
And how long should I practice those 2 riffs if I play guitar for one hour a day?

I mean, I'll eventually get extremely bored with the two riffs, but I want to know them. So like 20 minutes would be enough?
Quote by Sickz
You slow down. Playing guitar should never hurt. You will have to slow it down and work your way up. This is why i often don't stop working on tunes until i can play them comfortably slightly faster than the original tempo, that way playing the original tempo will be a piece of cake.

But yeah, you slow down and keep building your chops on that tune, making sure you are not feeling tense or feeling any pain. Then when you have reached the original tempo, keep working on it. It's like lifting weights (except it isn't supposed to strain on your body), if you start at 30kg and your goal is 50kg, when you come up to 50kg you set a new goal for 60kg, then when you are able to lift 60kg 50 will feel so much easier. Not the best analogy, but you get my point. Build up slowly, and then push it a little more. Make sure you are not straining yourself or hurting yourself, relax.

Well said. You've got to have that extra bit in the bag.

I just wanted to emphasize the tension thing. I think there's a natural tendency to say "I'm getting tired, therefore I need to build better endurance". True, some things require a certain amount of endurance (think Master of Puppets, for ex), but the better approach is to say "I'm getting tired, how do I spend less energy?". And that's down to watching your tension, and making sure that you make small, efficient movements.
Last edited by se012101 at Apr 15, 2014,
How long?

As long as it takes and becomes a habit so you can play it anytime you want.

Practise with the songs or a metronome for the best and fastest way to do it.