So a while ago i decided that instead of looking for an extra member for my band i would like to sing myself.
i thought, how bad can it really be? i mean, we play punk rock, so you don't have to be a good singer right?
well maybe you dont have to be great but at least being mediocre wouldnt hurt
and im not even that, i dot want to be a pop star, like i mentioned, i play punk rock, but i would at least like to sound ok-ish
the biggest problem is that i just can't get my voice to sound powerful, its weak and flat
i've tried loads of techniques, but i don't notice any improvement.

could someone take a listen to my vocal sample please?
click here for sample
and tell me what you think is the problem and how i could practice to improve on it.
in the sample i'm (trying to) singing Alien by Pennywise
now, this is the closest i have gotten to what i want, mostly because the vocals in this song aren't very energetic, but even then my voice sounds weak compared to the original vocals
i would love to be able to sing like Dexter Holland from The Offspring
he just has awesome energy in his voice

please take a listen and let me know what you think
thx
My voice was in the exact same spot for a while then I stopped caring and just started feeling the music. Especially since I play guitar, I just figured follow the guitar. Accent on guitar, give it a bit of scream. in between breathe. That also might be it, not breathing but its punk so who cares?
Sounds like you're still doing half-hearted singing. Like you're kinda pushing your talking voice a bit, but that's it...

Do some vocal warmups/exercises. They help to loosen you up a bit and help train you in controlling your breath/projecting volume with power and control - not force. Spend everyday doing them.

If you have to, visit your local mental health center and ask for the padded room - may help with the tension/fear of someone overhearing you practice amidst all the nonsensical yelling.

Anyways, you're singing with headphones on while the song was playing back right..? Until you've a grasp on how your voice sounds, I'd avoid singing with headphones on or any loud music. If you do need a backing track or song in the bg, be sure you have the volume fairly low so that you can clearly hear your own voice in the room. Make sure you know the lyrics (seriously, even a hint of doubt can muddle shit up..)

Be sure to work on finding/developing YOUR voice, not obsessing and emulating others so much.
Last edited by Night at Apr 15, 2014,
It sounded as though you were a bit self conscious about singing in my opinion, that you weren't really into it.

With regular practice your voice should strengthen and get better like any other instrument BUT you should still look into proper vocal techniques to help you do it better and properly.

You should look into some proper breathing techniques and how to control your breathing, it sounds to me that it would help you to some degree. It would also help you in hitting notes and staying in tune.
You should do/research some proper vocal warm ups as well. A lot of novice vocalists don't bother with this when in actuality it helps a lot. I don't see it as any different from warming up on a guitar before playing.
I've not really done anything in regards to vocals in a few years though, and my explanations usually aren't easy to understand so I'll let you have a look for these things OR let another user give some help on that.

Quote by Night

If you have to, visit your local mental health center and ask for the padded room - may help with the tension/fear of someone overhearing you practice amidst all the nonsensical yelling.

Are you serious about that? It sounds like a good idea but I can't imagine asking a mental health center if I can borrow their padded room xD
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by link no1
Are you serious about that? It sounds like a good idea but I can't imagine asking a mental health center if I can borrow their padded room xD

Yes and no.

No I wouldn't recommend doing it either, the mental health facility - MAYBE the padded room... working in a livelier room would be better

And yes, in that there is a fear of being overheard and it inevitably leads to tension. Especially when starting out/practicing.
Last edited by Night at Apr 15, 2014,
Well, not to say i'm great at singing myself, but i've been doing it a lot more frequently recently and found a few things about myself.

1. Trying to match other peoples voices will likely not work. (When you sing, see it as making it your own version for your voice not a copy of someone elses)

2. Singing while playing guitar helps a lot, accapella is a lot harder (guides me on whether or not i'm flat)

3. You can improve with some practice (some people can sing moderately well without any practice, others wont have a hope in hell even after 10 years of good practice, you just gotta try)

4. Being alone while practicing allows you to loosen up more.

5. Have the lyrics in front of you (as someone mentioned, any doubt can make a difference, until you've practiced enough to know the words 100% have the lyrics in front of you)
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Night
Yes and no.

No I wouldn't recommend doing it either, the mental health facility - MAYBE the padded room... working in a livelier room would be better

And yes, in that there is a fear of being overheard and it inevitably leads to tension. Especially when starting out/practicing.

Possibly a public practice room or something along those lines would be better though. Whenever I've been recording things myself I always book a practice room for doing the vocal tracks since they're soundproofed and I'll be the only one in the room.
I do this partly so I don't disturb others, so that other background crap doesn't get recorded but mostly because I do it better when I'm in a secluded area.

Obviously though, that costs money, so it's probably not financially wise to do this on a regular basis if it's just for practice...Unless your name is 'Seniour Moneybags'.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.