So, in October I am playing a one song set. In this song there is supposed to be a rhythm guitarist and a lead guitarist. There are certain parts were I will need to solo and do riffs so I need that distorted power cords. And then at the end of the song there is a clean solo and I also need some more looping. The song is Hummer by the smashing pumpkins. So how long can loopers loop, how many can i hold? I need 4-5 loops on one pedal prerecorded. Would a looper be my best option? Thanks.
Pedals can usually loop for quite some time usually.
The looper in the vypyr vip series goes on for 30s or so, the ditto and friends for 5 minutes or so, and the big boss' stuff even for hours if you have enough memory I think.

A looper would do, and a pedal that'd work with pre-recorded loops is expensive.
For 5 different ones, you could get a boss RC-something or a digitech jamman solo.

What you described though would be pretty easy to do with a simple looper like the jamman express xt or the small ditto looper or whatever cheap looper of your choice.
The stuff you wanna play is just a basic rhythm underneath so it'll probably be played even before the solo, hence you could record it on the fly and loop it right away.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You need a storage looper to do what you want. A Ditto won't work. The Jamman will work because you can attach a 3 button footswitch to give you direct control over selecting the next loop even while the current loop is playing.

The caveat is that your band needs to quickly resync to the looper after you start it playing. If the looper had a drum track that would be easier, but they need to be able to lock onto the rhythm track.
Quote by 457undead
Can't I just press the button when I need it and not sync?

Hopefully you are at the exact same tempo as the loop when you press it.

Maybe it would be easier to use a backing track in this situation?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by 457undead
Can't I just press the button when I need it and not sync?
Once you press the button the looper rhythm becomes a backing track for the band. You all have to play along with it. You may find it trivially simple or it might cause hiccups. The only way to know is to try it.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Hopefully you are at the exact same tempo as the loop when you press it.

Maybe it would be easier to use a backing track in this situation?

There is no backing track on the song available on the Internet. Maybe I could rent a high end looper, would that work?
I mean, if the "loops" are going to be pre-recorded then wouldn't it be identical to a backing track? Weren't you planning on recording the loops yourself or am I missing something?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
What you're not understanding is using prerecorded loops is NOT a good way to go if you're playing with others. It would be a nightmare for your bandmates. Its actually much easier to just loop in real time, as you go. And considering it seems like you dont have much experience with a looper, I would very strongly advise against it. If you're off by even a tiny, tiny bit it'll ruin your song.

I'm one of those people that think stored memory on a looper is for marketing purposes, not practical function. I feel that a looper is good for real time, live playing. If you wanna record and save something, perhaps a..uh...I dont know, maybe a recorder would be good for recording
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 15, 2014,
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I mean, if the "loops" are going to be pre-recorded then wouldn't it be identical to a backing track? Weren't you planning on recording the loops yourself or am I missing something?

Yeah but I don't think I can buy a backing track pedal, so I thought a looper would be a good idea.
I wouldn't prerecord the song, I would just make loops where I need to solo, so maybe a pedal that can hold a couple loops that I would record before the song starts?
^ what the hell is a backing track pedal?
Quote by fly135
You need a storage looper to do what you want. A Ditto won't work. The Jamman will work because you can attach a 3 button footswitch to give you direct control over selecting the next loop even while the current loop is playing.
But it'd be better if he didn't actually do what he had in mind.

As lucky1978 said, looping the thing on the fly would work a lot better.
Timing issues, length issues...
**** them, get a jamman express xt, practice, record and then loop the thing in real time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ what the hell is a backing track pedal?
But it'd be better if he didn't actually do what he had in mind.

**** them, get a jamman express xt, practice, record and then loop the thing in real time.

Like looping it during the song? How would that even work?
Unless you are playing to a click/drum track for the whole performance you can't use pre-recorded loops - they will be out of time with the rest of your performance. Looping is a terrible idea in this scenario.

Your best bet is to find someone to play the song with you. Barring that, you should record a backing track - for the entire song - and jam to that.

Lopping live is incredibly difficult and can easily be screwed up. If you're off beat by even a small amount, the loop will sound terrible and ruin the performance.
It works better cause you're making the loop basically using the rest of the band as your metronome. You have to work at it though. You have to get your timing down and get good enough to run through the functions with your foot while playing and not f'ing up. You have to have nerves of steel.
Think about it, are you, sitting in your bedroom storing loops, gonna be able to match the intensity, timing and vibe of the drummer mid-show? Perfectly? And then if you step on that pedal a hair to early/late your whole show is f'ed.

V 2 switches makes that process far easier/smoother/faster.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 15, 2014,
Quote by 457undead
Like looping it during the song? How would that even work?
Well simple guitar loopers generally and usually work this way:
1. you press the button, so the thing starts recording
2. you play stuff
3. you press the button again, so the thing stops recording and starts looping
4. you play over that part for as much time as you like
5. you press the button twice, so the things stops looping
6. you keep playing stuff and either repeat from point 1 or stop

Or you can record stuff over your original loop, though that's the general idea.
Just watch any ditto looper or jamman express xt video, that'd be more explicative.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by reverb66
Your best bet is to find someone to play the song with you.

The challenge is that I can't find a player that can play more than an E chord and have some gear.
If you're just playing alone for a school talent show or some situation like that, imo there's no shame in using a backing track. And you can probably just make your own simple backing track on any recorder (your phone maybe?). Will there be a pa available?
Quote by Spambot_2
I always answer the question as directly as I can. WRT if they can actually pull it off, only they would know after trying. But my answer is the most direct solution.

I understand it could be difficult. If the loop is recorded at 110bpm and the drummer starts the song at 110bpm by his own "feel", then it's likely when the loop kicks in the tempo will change slightly, or a lot. Then the band has to refocus on the loop. Sure a big pain. But people have practiced and accomplished things much more complicated than this.

A storage looper is a looper and backing track player. I disagree that it's just a marketing ploy. My friend who plays guitar for a living has used a storage looper for playing BT live. People who want to keep something they just thought up might find recording with the looper more convenient than anything else.
If you have the time and the dedication to practice, you could scratch the sp tune and just do your own thing. You can do a lot of crazy stuff with a looper and make it sound really impressive with minimal effort and good timing.
Quote by lucky1978
If you have the time and the dedication to practice, you could scratch the sp tune and just do your own thing. You can do a lot of crazy stuff with a looper and make it sound really impressive with minimal effort and good timing.

I have no idea what I would do.