I recorded this solo over a commercial backing track using Reaper and while i like the basics of it, it seems like i cannot get a good mix of the guitar and backing.

I have tons of plugins for my DAW (T-Racks, Izotope, EZMix) and have tried various settings but it seems to all come out the same mix-wise. Any suggestions for getting the guitar to sound clearer?

Here is the music: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/soulgrenade/music/play1257218
You've not just shoved presets on there right? Though honestly it sounds fine to me.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 15, 2014,
"You've not just shoved presets on there right?"

Well honestly, yes. I am new to recording and have been feverishly trying to learn how to use my DAW and plugins but the art of mixing/mastering eludes me.

And for the record i'm really just trying to lay these tracks down as demo's to be re-recorded at a later date but i still want them to sound good.
The track itself is probably already mixed and mastered well enough, you should just focus on creating a guitar tone you like and going from there. A little low cut on the guitar and some tweaking of your amp sim and it should be fine.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
So let me ask you this then, when i record the guitar track should i maybe record one track hard left and the other hard right? or maybe 3 tracks, left/right/middle?

I really just want the guitar loud but not too loud.
If it's not loud enough, the first thing you need to do is turn up the master on the amp sim you're using.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
If it's not loud enough, the first thing you need to do is turn up the master on the amp sim you're using.

And perhaps make a very shallow and wide cut on the EQ around the mids on the backing track to let the solo guitar cut through more.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yea i think i am going to re-do the track. The volume is just too low and as you mentioned, i don't think i had the master volume up high enough. It sounded great when i recorded it but something went wrong, lol.

It is definitely low compared to my other recordings (which were done using a different DAW)
If you have the plugs inserted as an effect on your DAW you can easily just turn the volume up afterwards.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I used Reaper with TH2 Overloud amp sim and T-Racks CS. I just opened the file back up and am going to mess around and see what i may have did wrong. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Hey, was checking out your page you seem to have a pretty good grasp of recording. Nice work.
Don't try to learn the plug-ins all at once.
Learn how to use a compressor this is a key tool for successful recording.
Check your track levels are sensible.
The normalise function in Reaper is helpful in correcting levels - but do not over-use.
When you render the mix check that it peaks about 0db, if not simply do it again, adjusting the master volume until it does. e.g. if the rendering peaks at -5.2 dB turn up the master fader 5.2 dB.
A-B you mix against commercial mixes of the same genre.
theres a lot of things you can do to get the guitar to be more clear... but yeah umm first thing i would actually say over anything else is, theres some slight timing issues on the track... would actually focus on that first...

as for making the guitar more "clear" well... check the tone settings itself... set it NOT in solo but with everything else playing. that should get you 90% of the way there.
Quote by The SoundGuy
theres a lot of things you can do to get the guitar to be more clear... but yeah umm first thing i would actually say over anything else is, theres some slight timing issues on the track... would actually focus on that first...

Yes, i agree my timing was off at times. I rarely play anything pre-rehearsed and i suck at punching and and fixing stuff. I recently read a story about how Carlos Santana "plays on the beat" and i have been trying to assimilate what that means and how to do it so things get a little off when i try.
Last edited by soulgrenade at Apr 15, 2014,
Quote by PSimonR

Learn how to use a compressor this is a key tool for successful recording.

dude. no. just no. you dont need to know anything about compressors for a good recording.
as a matter of fact.. a lot of the pros apply as less compression as possible.

Quote by PSimonR

The normalise function in Reaper is helpful in correcting levels - but do not over-use.
When you render the mix check that it peaks about 0db, if not simply do it again, adjusting the master volume until it does. e.g. if the rendering peaks at -5.2 dB turn up the master fader 5.2 dB.

no need to over think this stuff. just make sure its "loud enough"
and dont normalize stuff.. use the faders instead.
Well i have been playing guitar for awhile but only recently tried to record myself and it has put my playing under a microscope, which is cool. I think i have gotten lazy over the years and hearing myself on a recording makes me want to get busy again.
Quote by soulgrenade
Yes, i agree my timing was off at times. I rarely play anything pre-rehearsed and i suck at punching and and fixing stuff.

I think i need a real Producer, lol.

haha. you dont need a producer. you just need to get more used to using whatever DAW you're using. try youtube... check punch in/punch out on that for ur daw... its very simple stuff... if you still need a producer ..... shameless advertising coming up.... let me know. im can help you out. i've worked with instrumental guitar stuff before and would love to help with the mixing n stuff. the songs on my profile i mixed...

also as for the instrumental stuff... this is something i recorded mixed about a year or so back... newer work is getting much better :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q3363t-Ka8

good luck!
Quote by soulgrenade
Well i have been playing guitar for awhile but only recently tried to record myself and it has put my playing under a microscope, which is cool. I think i have gotten lazy over the years and hearing myself on a recording makes me want to get busy again.

ohhh hell yeah! theres a HUGE difference between a studio guitarist and live one.
the best way to improve your playing is to record yourself. unless you can really zone in and listen to your playing while playing... which comes naturally after a while.
Thanks for the responses everyone, a little good advice can go a loooong way with this stuff.
You have my favorite mastering software T-Racks. The compressors and brick wall limiters in T-Racks are the best. Try the "Classic" EQ in T-Racks and look for the "Heavenly High" pre-set, then set one of the compressors (I like the "Opto Compressor") about 2.5 ratio and lastly put it through through the "Brick Wall" limiter and adjust for output. I start a lot of mastering with that combo. The pre-sets in T-Racks are amazing.
Yes, T-Racks CS is amazing and i will take your advice and apply it to a few of my tracks. I really want to re-record the Lydian Space Jam though i feel like it is a mess.
Quote by Rickholly74
You have my favorite mastering software T-Racks. The compressors and brick wall limiters in T-Racks are the best. Try the "Classic" EQ in T-Racks and look for the "Heavenly High" pre-set, then set one of the compressors (I like the "Opto Compressor") about 2.5 ratio and lastly put it through through the "Brick Wall" limiter and adjust for output. I start a lot of mastering with that combo. The pre-sets in T-Racks are amazing.

sorry to say dude, but presets isnt the way to go for mastering or mixing..... every track calls for something different.. the plugin/preset you're talking about might sound great on one song, and absolute shite on the other

always experiment with different things to see what new stuff you can cook up
Quote by The SoundGuy
every track calls for something different.. the plugin/preset you're talking about might sound great on one song, and absolute shite on the other

always experiment with different things to see what new stuff you can cook up

Well one cool aspect of recording on my PC is i can take the dry recorded signal and just mutate the hell out of it. I was just sitting here with the dry signal from that track switching the amps/pedals/cabs etc and it is pretty amazing to be able to do that.

The problem starts with trying to decide which one i like the most.
Just pick one. It's a problem everyone has. You can't let it get in the way of creativity.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by soulgrenade
Well one cool aspect of recording on my PC is i can take the dry recorded signal and just mutate the hell out of it. I was just sitting here with the dry signal from that track switching the amps/pedals/cabs etc and it is pretty amazing to be able to do that.

The problem starts with trying to decide which one i like the most.

yeah! its quite insane.. it gives us a digital taste of what those super rich musicians get to play around with when theyre writing/recording.

yeah its tough sometimes to choose the "best" one, when they all sound good... but you gotta try choose the most appropriate one for the track
Quote by ChemicalFire
Just pick one. It's a problem everyone has. You can't let it get in the way of creativity.

you can actually sometimes use it to be more creative
you'd play differently to every tone, if you get what i mean...

try this... pick a patch... maybe like marshall tone
write a song.

pick a different patch ... maybe like a 6505 tone
write a different song.

you'll actually end up with very different sounding tracks... well of course tonally, but also musically... coz you might wanna wail those power chords with a 6505 tone, compared to get some 4ths and 5ths in with that marshall tone
New to recording but have tonnes of plugins. You sir, are suspected, of pirating.
Quote by kahleesi
New to recording but have tonnes of plugins. You sir, are suspected, of pirating.

No i could never be a pirate i get seasick too easy.

Seriously, i have three good plugins and the rest are freeware from various sites, including this one.

You sir, are suspected, of trolling.
Quote by soulgrenade
No i could never be a pirate i get seasick too easy.

Seriously, i have three good plugins and the rest are freeware from various sites, including this one.

You sir, are suspected, of trolling.

Just being "patriotic". :P
Hey, i have a bunch of random riffs and licks would you want to mess around with some of it and see what you come up with? i like the two tracks you remixed for me that was cool.
Quote by soulgrenade
Hey, i have a bunch of random riffs and licks would you want to mess around with some of it and see what you come up with? i like the two tracks you remixed for me that was cool.

you talkin to me?
Hey everyone, The Sound Guy remixed the track and it does sound clearer, many thanks to him for taking the time, check it out if you wish.

Lydian Space Jam (remixed)
Jackson Pro Dinky
Peavey Valveking 50 w/ Eminence Texas Heat speaker
Peavey 1x12 extension cab
Dunlop 535Q Wah
TC Electronic Hypergravity Compressor
Wampler Pinnacle Distortion
Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe (v2)
Fulltone OCD
EHX Bad Stone Phaser
EHX Pitchfork w/ Expression Pedal
Wampler Faux Tape Echo