Page 1 of 2
Okay so it's like, I wanna get better at arguments and debates and shit, but the problem is a lot of times I don't know more than the other person I'm debating against.

The right thing to do is to know what I'm talking about ahead of time, but the easier thing to do and what often times helps you win the debate even if you bullshit it is if you you bigass words that no one has heard of or used in hundereds of years.

I don't wanna have to whip out a thesaurus every argument, I'd rather just know the shit right off the bat. What's the best way I could go about improving my vocab skills?
Simples, get a dictionary, open it at a random page, look at a word, try to incorporate it into conversation. Do that erryday.
I enjoy typing big words. But if i used them is a causal conversations or in other real life situations, I would inevitably look like a know it all asshole. Or in other words, Ian the fox.
KIFFLOM
Last edited by sonic_hippy at Apr 15, 2014,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
More specific? Like authors, etc.

any book would do if it wasn't you
If you're debating against someone who knows what they're talking about, using a big vocabulary will do fuck all in helping you. They will just call you out on your shit and you'll look like a bigger fool.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

i like james joyce and doestoevsky a lot
but you might not
just go to the library and pick something that looks interesting
Quote by Ian_the_fox

You should definitely read Lord of the Flies by Golding.

That isn't specifically to help with your vocabulary concerns. I mean, it will, but I also think that everyone should read that book.
Just resort to petty insults if they're beating you. Or if you're dealing with a particularly cheeky little kunt, violence.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
I'd recommend you read more, but that would actually broaden your horizons and make you realize there's no point in arguing all the time and that often other people's views have credence.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
I'd recommend you read more, but that would actually broaden your horizons and make you realize there's no point in arguing all the time and that often other people's views have credence.
A+ post
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by anvil is god
i like james joyce and doestoevsky a lot
but you might not
just go to the library and pick something that looks interesting

If Ian argues in the same way as Molly Bloom's Soliloquy reads, it'd be nothing short of tragic and hilarious.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Okay so it's like, I wanna get better at arguments and debates and shit,

Stick with argument and debate, you've already mastered shit.

Learn your topic, vocabulary is a valuable tool but not useful if you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Here's a thought: how bout you stop trying to debate topics you don't understand.

You sound like a moron on here the majority of the time because you like to pick fights about things that you have absolutely no knowledge of.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by caeser1156
Here's a thought: how bout you stop trying to debate topics you don't understand.

You sound like a moron on here the majority of the time because you like to pick fights about things that you have absolutely no knowledge of.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by caeser1156

I've never seen you on the forums cause I don't lurk enough, but this sounds like some sound advice mr fox. And to read some books. Anything! Expand your mind! I read and the second i come across a word idk i just look it up in a dictionary, use it in my head a bit and continue, its proven helpful. But yeah, read, have peace of mind, and be humble towards other opinions
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
I think Ian would enjoy Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roal Dahl
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by soundgarden1986
people in diapers typically do have a shit vocabulary, so its only fitting

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Just be a pretentious dick. You'll be saying things like "apocryphal" and "demimonde" when talking to your friends in no time
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

stop using/"inventing" words like "fedorautistic" and maybe, just maybe, someone will take your opinion seriously for a split second
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by k.lainad
Just be a pretentious dick. You'll be saying things like "apocryphal" and "demimonde" when talking to your friends in no time

Don't forget "anachronistic" and "juxtaposition"
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by caeser1156

Well like I said gaining knowledge on those said topics would help me a lot, but gaining intense vocab would help cover up the moron aspect, and essentially "spice up" everything regardless of the fallacies the argument may contain.

Quote by soundgarden1986
people in diapers typically do have a shit vocabulary, so its only fitting
So your saying that if an English major were to suffer a spinal injury rendering them incontinent, they'd lose all their vocabulary knowledge?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Okay so it's like, I wanna get better at arguments and debates and shit, but the problem is a lot of times I don't know more than the other person I'm debating against.

The right thing to do is to know what I'm talking about ahead of time, but the easier thing to do and what often times helps you win the debate even if you bullshit it is if you you bigass words that no one has heard of or used in hundereds of years.

I don't wanna have to whip out a thesaurus every argument, I'd rather just know the shit right off the bat. What's the best way I could go about improving my vocab skills?

This is how I know someone is an idiot. Glad to know you got the memo.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You asked for help, you were told many times how to fix it and now you're arguing the advice?

Ian, you're hopeless.
I am actually pretty good at psychology and, unfortunately, there is not much you can do. The development of vocabulary skills is for the most part set in stone by the age of 3. Up until that point there is almost infinite room for growth because the linguistic center of your brain has access to resources as needed. Once you hit 3 though, this is cut off. This is why so many people struggle with learning a second language. Their brain did not know that down the road they would need a second one.

You can do everything you want to recognize these words now, but it will be psychologically impossible for you to develop the capacity to actually implement them in speech.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Well like I said gaining knowledge on those said topics would help me a lot, but gaining intense vocab would help cover up the moron aspect, and essentially "spice up" everything regardless of the fallacies the argument may contain.

So your saying that if an English major were to suffer a spinal injury rendering them incontinent, they'd lose all their vocabulary knowledge?

Holy WOW.
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
I am actually pretty good at psychology and, unfortunately, there is not much you can do. The development of vocabulary skills is for the most part set in stone by the age of 3. Up until that point there is almost infinite room for growth because the linguistic center of your brain has access to resources as needed. Once you hit 3 though, this is cut off. This is why so many people struggle with learning a second language. Their brain did not know that down the road they would need a second one.

You can do everything you want to recognize these words now, but it will be psychologically impossible for you to develop the capacity to actually implement them in speech.

What

Yeah, once you hit 3 you can't learn any new words, right?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You should definitely read Lord of the Flies by Golding.

That isn't specifically to help with your vocabulary concerns. I mean, it will, but I also think that everyone should read that book.

I hope this is sarcasm....
Page 1 of 2