Hello!

I would really need a quick advice. I wanna buy an electro-acoustic guitar and the main usage of it would be on stage - so it should sound great on my live gigs. I made a list with a couple of models. I visited some music shops to test each one of them and i would continue this research until i'm sure because i think this is the only way i could feel and hear it. Still.. it would be great to discuss here about this. What i would wish from this guitar? A good intonation, solid top, a relatively low action and maybe to make a good job when unplugged.

I wanted to go with some Taylor 114CE, 214CE even though it's more expensive than i set my budget. Some guitarist friends told me that it's not worth the price and the first series are not so good and i could go with other brands and get much better quality and sound. So after i checked some models I ended up for this model which i almost fell in love with: YAMAHA APX700II which is a very cool guitar. I respect YAMAHA very much plus my very first guitar was an acoustic F310 which is very good quality guitar for its price. So this APX700II has a very nice look, it's a cutaway solid spruce top with nato back, sides and neck. It's very compact, small and it sounds good plugged but. The only disadvantage i see is that it doesn't sound that powerful when unplugged because of that small body but still it's a nice guitar. Then i saw a Takamine EG455SC with a grand-auditorium body which also sounds cool. I also had some Fender models in my list but i would prefer to stay away from them, plus many guys told me that Fenders doesn't give u that "life" on stage. Also have on my list some Guild guitars like Arcos AO-3CE but these are much expensive like Taylor for instance. So here are my questions:

1. I tend to like the APX700II from Yamaha very much. Is that a good choice if i buy it or should i go with Takamine? I mean Takamine seems to be more popular plus i get a bigger body, but then again Yamaha have this cool sound and it fits well in my hands. I sing R&B/Soul and Jazz by the way. So this and also what do u think about this APX700?
2. It worth spending more money and go with other brands like Guild or maybe a low-cost Taylor?
3. If you have other models in mind let me know (even from the same brands)

Thanks!
since you will spend 75% of your time playing unplugged, i'd go with the Tak. you'll tire of the APX's sound rather quickly if you think it sounds thin now.
personally, i've never played an APX that sounded good. i had a fg700s, an fg720s and an AC3M. all really good yammie's for the money.
i like the Taylor option if you can swing it. although if your gonna be mostly strumming maybe a bigger bodied 210 would better suit your playing intentions( i really wish taylor would make a 216 GS body for the lower end line but alas, Bob hasn't returned any of my calls about it.....sigh...) Taylor's necks are fantastic. a real joy to play for long periods. i myself, have fallen in love with taylor's mohogany top guitars. it really adds mellowness to the characteristic taylor bright sound. you can't get those until you jump up to the all solid 300 series though.
so... back on track.. the tak of the 2 main choices...
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
i like most yamahas, but not the APX series - the thinner, all laminate body doesn't sound too good. i much prefer the taylor 114, and guilds are all solid, which is always a plus. the tak could work - it wouldn't be my choice, but that's just personal preference, and taks are well made. you might also want to look into seagull acoustic electrics if they fall in your price range.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
yeah. but mostly as i said before i sing R&B/Soul and Jazz with both fingerstyle and strumming. the APX700II has a solid top and it's not laminate. so it sounds richer ..than the APX500 or the CPX500. Thank u for your opinions. If anyone could tell more about my subject please do.
Quote by andreineagu
other opinions?

you dont want opinions. you want someone to tell you to get the APX because it's the greatest thing since the toothbrush.
so go get the APX.
Quote by andreineagu
other opinions?
Our last ditch advice is often , "buy the guitar that speaks to you". The Yamaha seems to be fulfilling that niche with you. In fact, I've been holding my breath, waiting for news of your engagement.

Besides, most of the Taks you see on stage in the hands of notables like Garth Brooks, are high end, Japan built editions.
ever try and brush your teeth with an APX? it ain't easy to do ;-)

the APX line is boxy unplugged due to their shallow body, but sound better plugged in. they don't sound great, but if you're on a budget and looking for something less traditional in appearance, there is that.

Quote by stepchildusmc
you dont want opinions. you want someone to tell you to get the APX because it's the greatest thing since the toothbrush.
so go get the APX.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
And you better put silk & steel strings on it, if you even hope to survive flossing with it....
Quote by patticake

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome..... Why, back in the day i used to use whole trees to brush with. an oil and sand mixture as toothpaste( that part is actually kinda true..). and that was after i had to walk 9 miles to school in the winter with just my ballet slippers.... uphill both ways !
Quote by stepchildusmc
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.....
"Outwit, Outlast, Outplay"! So that's where survivor got it's motto.

Quote by stepchildusmc
Why, back in the day i used to use whole trees to brush with. an oil and sand mixture as toothpaste( that part is actually kinda true..). and that was after i had to walk 9 miles to school in the winter with just my ballet slippers.... uphill both ways !
Aren't you forgetting about the boulder you had to push uphill both ways too, while staring at your reflection in a puddle?

Anyway, here's a good read on the ingredients in toothpaste:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothpaste

Things were going along just fine, until those darned Chinese started putting anti-freeze into it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 18, 2014,