I should be, but I'm not.
11 18%
Nah, got it sorted.
31 50%
Suicide seems like a good option
5 8%
**** university/college
2 3%
Suck mah balls m8, I'm fae Scotland, nae fees.
7 11%
Voters: 62.
Page 1 of 2
Was reading a thread on reddit about doctors having a high suicide rate, a lot of it due to the debt they need to go into to "get there" and then hating it. Some lawyers chipped in to say they've got it bad as well, with lots of graduates and not enough jobs.

How worried are you guys about debt for education?

Fvck me, I'm out of uni, and if I had x,000 of pounds of debt to pay, I think I'd shit myself on command.
debt is fun

Nah. I'm in a major that's in pretty high demand, so I'm not sweating it much.
No debt. Scholarships, bitch.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
I honestly stopped keeping count cause it does no good to worry about it. Probably finish in around the 20,000-25,000 range. BCosc help me.
University in Canada is pretty reasonably priced. No where near what students in the States are paying and very few if anyone studying here would be strapped with debt by the end of their degree, if they were in any debt at all.
lol no I don't give a shit. It's a small amount that you have to pay back at a time so who cares, i'm not a worthless bum so I won't have a problem with it.
Nah I won't be in too deep of a hole when I graduate.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
It's a very real possibility that both my wife and I finish school tens of thousands of dollars in debt a piece, end up with no careers in the process, and then spend our lives trying to pay it off on minimum wage. I don't think about it much because I'm pretty good at blocking out problems that I can't do anything about it, but it's not a good feeling.
I had almost $40k of student loan debt when I graduated. In a little over a year since I've started paying off the loans, I'm down to $6,000. This is in spite of the gubmint's nonstop fuckery to try to inflate my debt with "creative accounting" and bullshit interest markup.

The government can go fuck itself.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Hey guys jus came in here to see if Xiaoxi is somehow boasting about money and --.. oh good, nvm.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
my parents paid for my education in full, they're so cool

i even had the choice of going to a lesser known school that was offering me a scholarship, but i went with the more expensive one
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Apr 15, 2014,
Nah, the US Gov't has taught us that debt don't matter...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Phil, I know you're Scottish and don't have to pay but the rest of UK also get into huge debt...
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Carnivean
Hey guys jus came in here to see if Xiaoxi is somehow boasting about money and --.. oh good, nvm.

I'm not shitting myself but I think about it every now and then. Macabre hit it on the head. When I'm done school I better get a job in the field I'm heading towards or else I have to resort to drug smuggling, prostitution, or growing weed in Washington or Colorado.
Quote by Nero Galon
Phil, I know you're Scottish and don't have to pay but the rest of UK also get into huge debt...

A'm no even Sco'ish, m8.
Quote by Arby911
Nah, the US Gov't has taught us that debt don't matter...

Except when said debt is actually in the form of unpaid taxes.
in the province i live in Canada, the tuition fees are low compared to the other provinces (and extremely cheap compared to USA). the government can help you pay for your studies here, a part of the money they give you is scholarship and the other is loan. if your family doesn't make a lot of money, the scholarship money part is much higher
this way, if you spend the money they give you only for the semester inscription and additional fees (insurance, bus pass), you wont have much debt to pay them back because you didn't spend a lot of the loan money

Quote by Xiaoxi
I had almost $40k of student loan debt when I graduated. In a little over a year since I've started paying off the loans, I'm down to $6,000. This is in spite of the gubmint's nonstop fuckery to try to inflate my debt with "creative accounting" and bullshit interest markup.

The government can go fuck itself.

i see you're a berklee grad. may i ask you how did you manage to repay the debt as a music grad? did you teach, work for a company or something?
Last edited by SuperKid at Apr 15, 2014,
meh, finishing uni this year with no debt. I WOULD be worried though.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Apr 15, 2014,
Quote by Carnivean

I'll be sure to ask you when I need some jelly for my PB&J.

Quote by SuperKid
i see you're a berklee grad. may i ask you how did you manage to repay the debt as a music grad? did you teach, work for a company or something?
I work. That's all.

btw the people who are in those predicaments tend to all congregate in the same place and they all take turns telling their sob stories. When you read these it may look like everyone is screwed...millenials this, millenials that. It's nothing but a skewed perception.

I may be boasting but I'm telling it from the other side of the track. Turns out it's NOT impossible to get a jerb as a millenial. Shit, many people I know are crazy successful (relatively speaking). I just saw one of my friends in the credits for Captain America. Another friend just passed the bar and he's already working at a firm and gets some pretty sweet perks, despite not from Harvard/ivy Law and all the apocalyptic warnings about law degrees. Ain't no thang.

Point is, don't dwell on the unemployment bs. You'll subconsciously use it as a crutch for your own shortcomings.

ps this applies to people who are NOT TS. TS is skrewed

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 15, 2014,
It's reassuring to know that while the Canadian government spends 5 billion+ dollars on helicopters, the people who spend 8+ years of their life learning how to save and treat other human beings are being ****ed in the butt by massive debt. What a logical world we live in.
Quote by bradulator
lol no I don't give a shit. It's a small amount that you have to pay back at a time so who cares, i'm not a worthless bum so I won't have a problem with it.

People on Reddit only kill themselves because they're losers anyway
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Apr 15, 2014,
Quote by Jako215
When I'm done school I better get a job in the field I'm heading towards or else I have to resort to drug smuggling, prostitution, or growing weed in Washington or Colorado.
This is so stupid. No you don't. There are tons of varieties of jobs out there that you'd be capable of doing and probably even enjoy. Having this all-or-nothing mentality is going to screw you over, because you're most likely not going to get the "all" part.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Debts unfortunate but I feel I have the ability to pay it off, I just need to make it happen. That does not include, moving back home with your mom and dad and mope because you can't find employment in your hometown.

If I want to pay it off doing what I studied for, I will more than likely have to leave home and either go far up in northern Canada to teach there, or head overseas. I'm fine with this, I'll be 22 when I graduate and still have lots of time before I need to settle down.

Another option if you're Canadian is pack your bags and hit Ft. MacMurray, although that is a last resort for me. I don't agree with whoring out our land and destroying an environmental policy we had, especially if we're going to do it so poorly; we could have learnt a thing or two from Norway.

I worked out west in Alberta last year for around 10 weeks on my summer vacation and was able to pay for my apartment and most of my tuition.
Quote by bradulator

Either you're trolling or haven't ever talked to someone over 35 who did the whole college+debt thing and is still doing the debt thing to this day.

Anyways, I'm Aboriginal, so the govt pays for just about everything. And even then, I used that money to get a career worth earning free education towards so I'm happy

Another option if you're Canadian is pack your bags and hit Ft. MacMurray, although that is a last resort for me.

For the small amount of time required to pay off decades worth of culminating debt (for most people at least, not everyone.) I really don't understand why more students don't just get it over with once their degrees done. If university's such an investment and it leaves you shit-broke for the rest of your life, might as well invest a year or two more into yourself to make sure all of that "investing" was worthwhile, right?
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Last edited by dudester410 at Apr 15, 2014,
The debt that is going to come from college is going to suck but hopefully my degree will actually help me get a job I want and pay it off. At least the two years of community college won't hurt my pockets too much but after I transfer to uni shit is going to suck debt-wise.
I'll have around 5k in debt when I graduate. I'm pretty close to securing a job offer with a salary of $50k per year. I'm not worried about it.
My parents are paying for my undergrad. I've saved up enough over the years to possibly pay for about a year of grad school plus a small part of my living expenses. So I'll have about a year of grad school to worry about and hopefully I get a few scholarships, or get a job at my school.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by dudester410
Either you're trolling or haven't ever talked to someone over 35 who did the whole college+debt thing and is still doing the debt thing to this day.

OR MAYBE PEOPLE OVER 35 ARE STILL DOING THE DEBT THING BECAUSE YOU ARE ABLE TO PAY IT IN SUCH SMALL INCREMENTS ALSO DEBT GETS FORGIVEN AFTER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T PAID IT ALL #learntoamerica
Quote by Xiaoxi

ps this applies to people who are NOT TS. TS is skrewed

You're a total wanker. But I need a bit of your attitude.
I graduated with honours in a degree that seemed pretty high in demand (biochem) but now I'm applying to fast food places. I'll be damned if I'm going to go for the doubledown and get a masters. It's a good thing I worked before and while in uni and never went into debt or else I'd be kicking myself.
Naw, ain't worried. The debt will just be from my wife, and we'll handle it.
My God, it's full of stars!
Im more worried about your sentence structuring. I mean your title isnt gramatically wrong or anything, but the structure and punctuation is so weird
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by bradulator
OR MAYBE PEOPLE OVER 35 ARE STILL DOING THE DEBT THING BECAUSE YOU ARE ABLE TO PAY IT IN SUCH SMALL INCREMENTS ALSO DEBT GETS FORGIVEN AFTER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T PAID IT ALL #learntoamerica

Ha nawh bro im canadian, livin' the easy life. Small increments or not though, I know elderly retirees who are still paying it off and that just seems ridiculous to me. No need to get your panties up in a bunch, bud
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Page 1 of 2