I've heard a few people very casually mention that Cubase is a 'lesser' software for mixing music, and I'm wondering why this is? I'm just getting into mixing and recording after playing guitar and drums for a while and I'm trying to work out which software is best for me, and as a mild technophobe Cubase seems to be the most user friendly which suits me very well. Is this actually a bad idea? Also if Cubase is the way to go, is it worth saving up for the more expensive versions?
Thanks for helping
No DAW is objectively better or worse than any other. It's all about how you like to work.

There is nothing wrong with cubase and if anyone who says it's "lesser" is likely the same person who says that Pro Tools is best just because it's "Industry Standard".
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Nothing wrong with Cubase, although personally I prefer Pro Tools.

There's bound to be comparison videos on Youtube, I would suggest checking them out.

And as far as what version goes, that entirely depends on what you want to use it for. I started with a Presonus Audiobox 2x2 (which I still use) which came with a copy of Cubase LE4, which is a stripped down version. This cost around £120, and lasted me for about three years before I really needed something better. But that said, the LE versions may be enough for what you want.

I have no idea if they do upgrade pricing, like if you bought LE and then decided a year down the line you want the full version I am not sure if they charge you full price for it or you get a discounted upgrade cost or something.
Hey. You can get a trial version of the latest Cubase software. And i am fairly certain you can get PT10/11 as a trial (you MIGHT need an iLok for that - but you should get an iLok at somepoint anyway when you start buying plugins).

As random3 says there is sure to be comparison videos.

Cubase is fantastic i have used it a few times myself - but for me personally the workflow of PT suits me best.
Best part of Cubase is that there are SO many really good pieces of freeware plugins-and you can still buy the big brand plugs.

But try them out yourself for a month. They're such a big purchase you kinda have too.
I've tried Cubase LE4. It wasn't bad. Seemed pretty user friendly and simple to use. I ended up going back to Sonar 7 (or 8) just because I've been using it for years. I'm not one to talk shit about recording programs seeing that most of the finished results are really dependant on the operator.
I've worked on a few professional/semi pro projects in Cubase and honestly at this point in its development it is probably just as robust as the competition. Their cust. support really rubbed me the wrong way on a paying project with a deadline, I had to work around and just transfer my files at that point and I am not using them again for anything but to re-achive my old files.

The program itself is OK, but I preferred to vote with my dollar and didn't continue my relationship with them.
there's no Bad DAW I prefer protools today coming up from Sonar and Reason But I did uses Cubase Many years ago on a Intel Pentem 500 mhz cpu as I remember it was Terrible Only due the the Speed of hardware, for that time I would not blame the software. Your phone is 10 times more powerful then that machine was..

Today you have to look pretty hard to find a computer and a Audio Interface that would have trouble or issues running DAW for the normal music user.

if you go far beyond that into 500 or 1000 tracks projects (talking feature film) then you may want to go protools due to the Custom hardware to run it all in real time. ( I know Nuendo is aimed at that market as well but IMO your really need Specially hardware to deal with that level of project and well Protools is sold as a working package with many Zero in the price tag)

everything in the Music Normal user range Reaper for $65 would be find,. and anything above $$ wise is just personal preference and not technical needed.

But you could say the same for a Cheap guitar compared to a USA built PRS or Gibson etc..
Last edited by T4D at Apr 16, 2014,
Pro Tools has the "pro" options which were dedicated hardware cards that handled the processing themselves, thus freeing the PC to do pretty much the graphics and rendering. This was a very powerful approach but that kind of setup is around $10k for the starter package...and incidentally is the only way I would put Pro Tools in the game personally. The other Pro Tools (lite or LE?) version comes with limited tracks and is a cut down rate from the "PRO" and I personally would advise against it.

You can achieve some of the Pro Tools HD unloading some of the load of the PC by getting add-on DSP effects cards like this, for example:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAD2Solo/
Quote by diabolical
Pro Tools has the "pro" options ... The other Pro Tools (lite or LE?) version comes with limited tracks and is a cut down rate from the "PRO".

You can achieve some of the Pro Tools HD unloading some of the load of the PC by getting add-on DSP effects cards like this, for example:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAD2Solo/

Just for the sake of clarity there are three versions:
Pro Tools LE
Pro Tools Native
Pro Tools HD

Pro Tools LE, as diabolical said, limits your track number (which i personally think is oka if your just going to be making a few demos).

Pro Tools Native/Standard version has no limitations except processing power (relative to your machine, CPU speed, RAM and HDD/SDD - PT10 can only utilize 4GB of RAM whilst PT11 can utilize as much RAM as you have.

Pro Tools HD is the bawss but very expensive to setup correctly so don't even bother yet lol.
Quote by kahleesi
Just for the sake of clarity there are three versions:
Pro Tools LE
Pro Tools Native
Pro Tools HD

there are 3 versions of MOST DAW software ..

all have the same Limits/cut down feature issues of the "pro" versions
Quote by T4D
there are 3 versions of MOST DAW software ..

all have the same Limits/cut down feature issues of the "pro" versions

Good to know.