I know a lot of people say the difference between a 2x12 and a 1x12 is a lot bigger than a 2x12 and a 4x12. But what about at low volumes? Around the range of talking - TV volumes? Do you think in that case that a 2x12 still provides a notable benefit?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
But what about at low volumes? Around the range of talking - TV volumes? Do you think in that case that a 2x12 still provides a notable benefit?

I'd do 112 at that volume. Maybe even just a 1x8.
1x8

No use whatsoever for a 2x12 in the bedroom.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
1x8

No use whatsoever for a 2x12 in the bedroom.

I like to mix speakers.

Can't do that with a 1x12, where's your god now!

But seriously, there are reasons.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I currently have a 1x12 combo in my bedroom...and it's more than I need in terms of volume. It never goes beyond 3 or 4.

(I am planning on getting another 1x12 combo with a different voiding, however...)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
ported 1x12?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I'd get get the 2x12 and just use a small head. That way you've got the 2x12 if you ever need it.
Keep in mind that you are limited from amps that impede your speaker selection.

2x12s aren't that big or heavy,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
At that sort of volume it won't matter shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Keep in mind that you are limited from amps that impede your speaker selection.

2x12s aren't that big or heavy,

Unless you get the BIG 2x12 like i did...

But yeah depending on your amp head, a 2x12 is pretty much perfect to have, Although im debating to get a ported 1x12 if i get a JCA50/100
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
The head I'm going to get is really tiny. The new VK Micro.

Cabwise, I'll either get a Mesa Transatlantic 19 1x12, or an Orange PPC212OB for the 2x12.

I like the Mesa because I can carry it in one hand and carry the VK in the other. The Orange is huge in comparison, weighs 2x as much (literally, 26lbs vs 52lbs), and costs more.

Also lol @ 1x8 suggestions. Over my dead body.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, the Mesa is a C90 and the Orange is V30. That's what should be dictating which you get. Which do you prefer?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've weighed in on this countless times, and I'm sure most disagree. It's a matter of personal taste I suppose, but a 2x12 just sounds much fuller to me. 1x12s have always sounded a bit boxy to me, and I much prefer the way a 2x12 disperses the sound at all volumes. Seems to be a distinct difference to me. YMMV
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Cathbard
At that sort of volume it won't matter shit.

Orange 212. You need it for when you get a hold of a > 100W head. It's also very convenient for when you need to mix up speaker combos.

I like how (I think) it sounds so much better for when it needs to be loud.
I've got the Zilla Studio 2x12 in the bedroom - http://www.zillacabs.com/2x12_cabs.php
v30 and gt12.
Sounds great.

Question is, apart from space, why wouldn't you?

If you've got a regular sized 50/100w head (with a great MV), it'd look a bit daft on a 1 x8
For your purposes I'd get a big 1 X 12 (Avatar Contemporary or Orange PPC 112) and be done with it. The "cab" on my 6505 112 is pretty big and sounds great at bedroom volumes. It sounds great at gig volumes too. It is a little boxy if you crank the mids too much, but that's avoidable. I wouldn't want a smaller 1 X 12 though. Honestly, I don't notice *that* big of a difference between my 412 and the 112 cab in my bedroom. I mean, yes, the 412 does sound bigger but I can only crank it so much in a small space. The 112 sounds tighter too. However, when I pull the rig into a bigger room or outside, that's where the difference really comes into play.

Keep in mind, you can get speakers that will handle a 100 watt head all by themselves.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Offworld92

Well, a 1x8 is good enough in both the bedroom and recording studio for Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Billy Gibbons, Joe Perry, Slash, Brian Setzer and many others. But of course, they have talent.

Players who think a 1x12 sounds "boxy" are either running through really shitty 1x12 cabs or they don't understand how to use the tone controls on their amp. Buy quality tools. Learn how to use the tools.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 16, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
I know a lot of people say the difference between a 2x12 and a 1x12 is a lot bigger than a 2x12 and a 4x12. But what about at low volumes? Around the range of talking - TV volumes? Do you think in that case that a 2x12 still provides a notable benefit?

No. Fact is, I've moved to running a modeler through a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. There's actually more bottom *and* top end available, even though the Rokit's have an 8" woofer (and 90W of power each). At bedroom volumes (and up to well over 100 dB, for that matter) and bedroom distances in particular, you don't need big speaker size.
Quote by Offworld92

Now THERE's a mind closed for the winter...
Quote by Cajundaddy
Well, a 1x8 is good enough in both the bedroom and recording studio for Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Billy Gibbons, Joe Perry, Slash, Brian Setzer and many others. But of course, they have talent.

Players who think a 1x12 sounds "boxy" are either running through really shitty 1x12 cabs or they don't understand how to use the tone controls on their amp. Buy quality tools. Learn how to use the tools.

And all of Jimmy Page's recorded tones were from small single speaker combos too
Sounds fine.
i think it still makes a difference (though it depends on exactly what you mean by "low volumes"), though whether you'd notice if you didn't have the two head to head is another thing...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Well, the Mesa is a C90 and the Orange is V30. That's what should be dictating which you get. Which do you prefer?

As long as the speaker is good I'm not really too picky, honestly. When I tried the VK Micro it was through a Line 6 SV412 w/ V30s. Got it to sound the way I wanted. From what I've read, the C90 should be even better (very clean, no breakup).

I'm not too concerned about speakers really. I'd already planned to throw an Eminence Cannabis Rex in it. I'm totally concerned about weight and size. These two cabs happen to be the lightest 1x12 and 2x12 I can find that are easily attainable/not customish.

Quote by KailM
For your purposes I'd get a big 1 X 12 (Avatar Contemporary or Orange PPC 112) and be done with it.

Quote by Ippon

Orange 212. You need it for when you get a hold of a > 100W head. It's also very convenient for when you need to mix up speaker combos.

I like how (I think) it sounds so much better for when it needs to be loud.

This is a pretty fair point. Future proofing is probably a good idea. I'm a little fidgity about how terrible the little VK Micro will look on top of the huge Orange though.

Quote by Cajundaddy

I'm really not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, but honestly none of those tones interest me at all... I wouldn't exactly be quick to take up their practices as gospel

Also I'm NOT like Cath over there, and I'm not sure how much those guys ARE like Cath. I need my mood lighting and my Ambiance.

Quote by dspellman
No. Fact is, I've moved to running a modeler through a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. There's actually more bottom *and* top end available, even though the Rokit's have an 8" woofer (and 90W of power each). At bedroom volumes (and up to well over 100 dB, for that matter) and bedroom distances in particular, you don't need big speaker size.

Sure, and I play through my POD through my tiny PC speakers as well, but guitar speakers are a different thing than FR type speakers, no?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Sure, and I play through my POD through my tiny PC speakers as well, but guitar speakers are a different thing than FR type speakers, no?

Guitar speakers are different only in their limitations. The KRKs aren't tiny PC speakers, by any means; not with 90W each and clean response well below and well above what you can get from your basic 12" guitar speaker.

Since we're talking "in the bedroom," it's unlikely that you'll want to be much above their 108 dB (I think) upper limit in volume. And if that's the case, the guitar speaker really won't be bringing much to the party that the KRKs can't provide. You will NOT be lacking for bass response. Hit the local GC and give them a listen. While there, have them run one of the 10" subs with a pair. Now *that's* an eyebrow raiser.

Your POD *will* be set differently, of course, and you'll want to be using amp/cab sims (and if you really want a treat, try the Torpedo C.A.B. as the "power amp/cab IR" portion of that).

There are people using 10's as bass speakers, as we all know, but there are ALSO people using 8's, believe it or not. http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=16
Surprisingly, they kick serious butt.

I have both and honestly at low volumes it makes no real difference. hell even cranked up there isn't a huge difference in a confined area.