Ok, so I've had my Silvertone 1484 for about 2 years now and, with the exception of a blown speaker, it has worked flawlessly. Today I was playing it and the volume started to heavily fluctuate. From normal volume, to COMPLETELY SILENT, then back up louder than it was. And it fades to these volumes and will stay there for maybe a minute a a time. What's happening to my amp?
Sounds like power tubes to me.

Btw, I'd love to hear tom morello playing through an old Silvertone. Such an odd combination.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm still into ratm, tom morello is the man
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by tom_morello
Yeah I still like them. So how likely do you think it is that it's the power tubes

43.7% chance.

You need spares anyway, buy some and find out.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It could be lots of things. Try the power tubes first and report back. Easiest things first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tom_morello
Yeah I still like them. So how likely do you think it is that it's the power tubes

I'm not a tech, far from it, but from my experience volume fluctuations (and/or crackling) are the main indicators that I need new power tubes. And new power tubes have always solved the problem.
Because your amp is old and Silvertone isn't exactly synonymous with quality, it may be something more serious, but power tubes are the first suspect to investigate.
Does anyone know if I need to have it biased when I change them? I'm not very electronic savvy so I don't really know about these things. Thanks
Quote by tom_morello
Does anyone know if I need to have it biased when I change them? I'm not very electronic savvy so I don't really know about these things. Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to have a competent tech look at it, but it's my understanding from the little bit of searching that I did that those are biased pretty cold anyway, so you probably won't have any problems.

Of course if you do that simply means I was wrong and you were stupid for listening to me...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin