Hi there, could someone please explain what is the difference between a 68 custom twin reverb which has a straight blue writing in front on the top right corner as opposed to a regular 65 twin reverb which has an Italic white writing on the front in the top right corner, is there a huge difference, reason I am asking is that I gotta pretty good deal on the 68 custom and wanted to do some research before I bought it, which one sounds pretty ? or they both sound the same ? any other difference ? which one would you chose ? thanks so much for your time. cheers. Ed
Lurk/bump.

I'm curious as well.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
They are pretty similar. Actually very similar. The circuits are probably identical. Honestly, you'd be better off buying two (2) or three (3) old Fender amps from the '60's or '70's that are the real deal.

Both of these new ones are mediocre Reissues.

One has blackface and a Jensen ceramic speaker (Vintage Reissue) and one has a silverface and a Celestion speaker (Vintage Modified).

'65 Twin Reverb Reissue (Vintage Reissue)
http://www.fender.com/series/vintage-reissue/65-twin-reverb-120v/

'65 Custom Twin Reverb (Vintage Modified)
http://www.fender.com/series/vintage-modified/68-custom-twin-reverb-120v/

'Blackface' tends to lead more to a traditional (better IMO) feel and has the Jensen speaker.

'Modified' just means it has a Celestion speaker and 'Silverface' came after 'Blackface' so one could argue that the 'Modified' version is more modern but again we are talking very insignificant differences in tone. Neither honestly are worth the cost new. We have a 'New Amp' tutorial if you are interested in a new amp.

If I'm way wrong or way drunk someone can call me out
there is no currently produced fender amp i would buy. silver face (i have a SF bassman) amps are getting soooooooooo cheap, even a blackface pops up here and there if you are lucky.

they are built better, easy to fix and mod, and sound better IMO.

a SF twin is probably my next amp i buy for cleans.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That is a real shame. Was actually considering a Reissue someday. Is there anything wrong with them?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The 65 reissue is a reasonably faithful reproduction of a BF Twin from 1965. The 68 Custom is a hot-rodded Twin with 2 different channels. One twin preamp, one Bassman preamp circuitry. I have played through the reissue Twin several times but never a 68. I am certain they are both LOUD AS HELL.

I am a Fender Fanboy and they suit my playing style well. A Twin is just too much amp for me to drag around anymore. I prefer a Deluxe Reverb or similar 20 watter where I can just dime the amp and it lays well against a full drum kit. YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by lemurflames
That is a real shame. Was actually considering a Reissue someday. Is there anything wrong with them?

wrong with what? vintage or the RI's? look up some gut shots of a vintage twin, everything is board mounted. you could even easily mod a silver face to black if it was important to you.

the reissues sound good, but bang for your buck isnt there, nor the mojo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I tried the 65 DRRI yesterday, was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure they lack the magic / mojo of an original but it smoked the blues deluxe I was A/B-ing it with. (Cleans and dirt were both better IMO )
Quote by 7thString
I tried the 65 DRRI yesterday, was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure they lack the magic / mojo of an original but it smoked the blues deluxe I was A/B-ing it with. (Cleans and dirt were both better IMO )

They are nice amps. I would have no problem wailing into either a DRRI or a Blues Deluxe at an important gig. Yes they do sound a little different than my original 64 Super Reverb but so what. Every amp sounds a little different and I have owned about 25 over the years. Adjust the tone controls to your liking and dig in. Still very musical guitar amps that may surprise you. The guy out gigging with a DRRI trumps the guy sitting in his bedroom with a 100w full stack every time.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The original Silver face Fender Twin Reverb amps had a different circuitry than did their Black face predecessors; it was designed to make them louder (yes, you heard that right) and to give the amp more gain. The way Fender went about this was frequently criticized by guitarists and amp techs - I do not know the specifics, but some people on this forum probably do. The reissue Silver face is, as others have already said, not the same as the original Silver face design, but Fender seems to think that it provides what Silver face fans want to hear. They are both solid amplifiers; very versatile, and very loud. Some Fender purists are unhappy that Fender has moved all of their amplifier production to their facilities in Mexico, but they are fine amplifiers and they seem to hold up well, like the originals.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Some would argue that the Silverfaces were designed to be cheaper to manufacture - period.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Anyone know how well the RM Blackface module stacks up to an original Blackface twin? I'm curious cause I have one but I don't have any experience with an actual blackface twin. I ab'ed it with a friend's old silverface twin and it held its own quite well with the module being a bit darker and punchier and the sf brighter, smoother and more girth in the sound (1x12 vs twin). I have no idea how true to original it is.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
It's pretty close, not exactly the same but it certainly has the right vibe to it. The massive bass on tap from the RM power amp will always be a factor, plus of course it has a gain control which the BF doesn't have. In some ways it's better. Personally I think it's better than the SF and holds its own against a BF.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's pretty close, not exactly the same but it certainly has the right vibe to it. The massive bass on tap from the RM power amp will always be a factor, plus of course it has a gain control which the BF doesn't have. In some ways it's better. Personally I think it's better than the SF and holds its own against a BF.

Good to hear. In all honesty I would take the RM over a sf twin even if I couldn't switch modules. Though I'd take a bf bassman over my present RM.

TS, have you checked out the Randall RM? I've seen a few different fenderish modules, get 'em all and put 'em in one amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lemurflames

The re-issues are fine. Some people just value "mojo" more than they should.
My Tweed module is good. Magic cleans with the gain down and Crazy Horse with it up. There are heaps of different Fender modules for the RM. There's a few Bassman modules around too. A Salvation or Jaded Faith one would be nice. I'll probably grab one day, it's gonna be hard to beat the standard Randall Tweed one though for that position in the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Shhhh. Stop hyping up the RM100. I don't need to spend more money.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Shhhh. Stop hyping up the RM100. I don't need to spend more money.

I only paid $350 for my RM20 with the bf module, just mow some lawns for a couple weeks. Aren't you the weiner dog that just got a 5150III? You should be ok on gas for a couple more weeks.
i only paid $200 for my silver face bassman head. and that isn't that uncommon. works fine, was already recapped, and it sounds great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by lucky1978
I only paid $350 for my RM20 with the bf module, just mow some lawns for a couple weeks. Aren't you the weiner dog that just got a 5150III? You should be ok on gas for a couple more weeks.

There are so many misunderstandings here.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2