So, I was learning this song sitting down for like two weeks and then finally I learned it. So afterwards I try standing up, I just miss a lot of notes and my slides are HORRIBLE. any advice? thanks. PS. not sure if this goes under guitar techniques so sorry in advance if that is true.
Your guitar is probably hanging too low. The higher your guitar is, the easier it is to play. Think about where your guitar sits in relation to your torso when you're sitting down, and now look at where it is when you're standing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Your guitar is probably hanging too low. The higher your guitar is, the easier it is to play. Think about where your guitar sits in relation to your torso when you're sitting down, and now look at where it is when you're standing.

but putting my strap that high up is totally lame.
if you're trying to sound good standing up and playing, adjust your strap. if you wanna sound like you do, keep wearing it too low. moving it up an inch might make a huge difference.
Quote by 457undead

Yeah, looking lame sucks.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Raise it up higher. or just practise with the guitar around your knees.
Usually it's easier to play well well with the strap shorter, although I've got a Led Zeppelin video, and Jimmy Page practically does have his guitar near his knees, plays just fine...
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
I have these magic pills that makes me good at playing while standing even when I never practice it
Quote by 457undead

uuuuuurrrgghhh killmeplz
I used to hate playing standing up but I found its better for my back so I do it more often now. Like others mentioned, practice! A good strap helps too.
Quote by 457undead

The choice is what you think looks funny and playing poorly.

Do you really need more help?

I play with my guitar in my armpit.
But, I can play. Nobody in the audience cares what my guitar looks like or where I wear it.
Quote by AngryHatter
The choice is what you think looks funny and playing poorly.

Do you really need more help?

I play with my guitar in my armpit.
But, I can play. Nobody in the audience cares what my guitar looks like or where I wear it.

But what if... what if you need to use the guitar to hide your boner?
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Archer250
But what if... what if you need to use the guitar to hide your boner?

If you're playing good enough then everyone's eyes will be fixated on your hands.
I actually find it more comfortable playing standing up now compared to sitting down, but it used to be the opposite. Like Jaywalk said, it's a completely different experience so it may take a lot of practice to get used to. I know it took me many months to get as good or better as when I was sitting. I also agree with having the guitar at an angle. That makes it much easier for me and is more comfortable.
I like to play on a high stool and sit but with my right leg hanging loose.

That way, you get the feel of sitting and playing+ the positioning of playing while standing up.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Okay, I'm gonna contribute: tighten your straps and practice playing while standing more. If you have an upcoming gig and don't have enough time to do so, why don't you try kneeling when playing a solo.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
I have bit of the same problem. I am learning an Yngwie tune and my skills are not used to that but firm constant practise with my metronome doing that and adding Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina to it had made start to sound pretty good when I sit down with my unplugged strat (the Boss DB60 is not loud enough).

Standing up and plugged in takes 2 things for me. The habit of doing so + do it straight into the clean channel (low as the Marshall 2104 is from 1978) without effects.

Now I am used to standing up with the guitar sort of low so it is just old habits that needs to be brushed up as I haven't done that in years. I need to slow the metronome down a bit but I can feel that skills I worked on sitting down are there so slow down and step up while getting used to the amp tone.
Lol, do you play death metal? Regardless, and contrary to popular belief, wearing your guitar at knee level doesn't make you look cooler :P Many people suggest wearing it at the same level standing up as sitting down. You don't have to do that, but I would tighten your strap at least a little bit.

You could also devote a bit of time to practicing songs standing up. Especially if you're a shredder, it could be helpful practicing this way, especially higher up on the neck since that's harder to access when standing (I find it much more difficult playing fast high up on the neck when I stand up, although that could be because I have a 22 fret Strat and the body can get in the way of higher frets). If you really need to have it lower I'd tighten your strap and eventually lower it as you practice standing.

I'm like you, I typically practice sitting down and play much better that way, but you wouldn't perform live sitting down of course (unless you're playing a mellow tune on an acoustic... That seems to be an exception). How you practice is how you play, so standing while practicing would certainly be beneficial.

Look at John Petrucci though, he has his guitar pretty high up and he can PLAY
Last edited by evhledzep5150 at Apr 16, 2014,
I've been playing so long standing up I have issues with playing while sitting. But as everyone has said, raise your guitar so it's not hanging below your waist. Being Bro0tLz is not cool anymore, having the guitar at least at waist level is the lowest you should ever go. And theres always the practice more standing up option, takes a long time to get used to it, but it's worth it.
idk, I listen to some djent and modern prog in that vein, and those guys all wear their gitz super high (cause you basically have to for that music), and I think the look fits the scene.

On a serious note, just practice. But the difference in difficulty is due to the different position of the guitar. If you want to wear your guitar at a certain height, practice with it at that height.

Just know that it may be bad for your wrists depending on your technique. Your wrists should be relatively straight with your forearms when you play. Otherwise you may regret it in a decade or two.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeap yeap yeap. The height of the guitar is mostly the hindrance. You should just practice playing the song standing up in the same way you did as sitting down, and try to keep the height of the guitar the same as when you were sitting down.
To be honest, I don't usually have this standing-up/sitting-down problem, so I don't have much to say.
Fire is alive. It breathes. It grows. It creates, and it destroys.
i have this problem too! but for me it hard to see which strings are which wen i play standing up
Put the guitar on your left knee and elevate it when you practice. It'll be in a similar position to when you play standing up.

Also, don't rely on looking at the fretboard to see what you're doing. With practice, you should be able to tell exactly what notes you're playing, and should only need to look down if you're moving your hand to a distant position.
I completely agree with Jaywalk777! If you want to put your guitar low why not play with the neck up just like steve vai posed, its much easy. Thats what slash also does when he has hard reaching higher frets up the neck. But first you have to practice playing standing up, it is really the only solution to your problem!L:
I used to have a massive issue with this, but the problem is not as bad now that I always wear the strap when sitting to practice and let the strap bear the weight of the guitar ie. don't rest the guitar on your lap, let it hang.