So back in February, I placed an order for one of the Sterling by MusicMan JP100D's.

More specifically the JP100D PBB (Pacific Blue Burst) which as far as i'm aware is an exclusive finish although how true that is I have no idea.
It's new for 2014 though and I could only find it through 1 retailer in the UK (Andertons).

After being told it was out of stock until on or around the 18th of April I began the long wait.

So in the mean time I could only stare at the promo for it:

However, what is now yesterday for me on the 15th, a nice big parcel from the UPS man arrived at my door which looked a little something like this!

So after cracking the box open, I saw something that wasn't mentioned in the order.
It came in a SBMM gig bag, which was a nice thing to get, and I'm glad it did actually, especially with the price I paid for this guitar.

Front pocket contained 2 allen keys and a truss rod/neck relief adjuster and a wonderful pack of silica gel!
(The truss rod on this guitar is adjusted in-between the neck PU and the 24th fret, not on the headstock.)

After unzipping the gig bag and looking at the guitar, I noticed the deep blue finish is not quite as the promo material shows it to be.
Looking at it with human eyes it has a very subtle turquoise/aqua type colouring that the camera doesn't really pick up.
However I actually prefer it with it so it's not just a normal straight up blue.

BUT HERE IT IS!

Specs:
- Scale: 25.5”
- Nut Width: 42mm
- Neck Width, 12th fret: 52mm
- Body Wood: Basswood
- Neck Wood: Maple
- Fretboard Wood: Rosewood
- Tuning Machines: Locking
- Hardware: Chrome
- Neck Joint: 5 Bolt
- Frets: 24
- Fretboard Radius: 16”
- Pickup Selector: 3 Way
- Pickups: DiMarzio Crunch Lab (Bridge) and LiquiFire (Neck)
- Bridge: Modern Tremolo

Taking it out of its case issues
It came a little un-setup, the bridge was heavily dipped down on the right side making the top 3 strings nothing but a fart.
I had to turn it a number of times to get it how it is in the top left photo.
Next I had to tune it. Now this thing comes with locking tuners but it came horribly out of tune.
Got to the high e string, it did that string clicking noise and just started to detune, started to pull it back up to an E even though it would go past D and BAM, string snapped.
Threw a .010 on and got it up to an E, retuned the rest of the strings and screwed the locking tuners tighter than a nuns private parts.
One small blemish on the neck which i easily sorted with a few rubs of very, very fine grain sandpaper.

Main Impression
Other than those few first issues which I sorted in mere minutes, it's damn near perfect.
The finish is beautiful and the quilt top is to die for.
The Sterling Modern Trem Bridge holds up nicely too, I can dive the bar all the way and bring it right back up and pull it up some no hassle.
And thanks to the Locking Tuners, it stays in tune great.
The playability of this guitar is absolutely perfect for my hands and technique, I own multiple guitars, my best before this new one being an Ibanez STM1.
The selling point of the 100D is the D part, which stands for DiMarzio, since this thing comes loaded with Petrucci's signatures, the Crunch Lab and LiquiFire.
The Crunch Lab is a high output pickup with some serious bass. Yet somehow it manages to be clear and not muddy.
The mids help it to cut really nice and the highs add that sparkle that even when saturated in gain means every note in a chord is present.
And the LiquiFire is just the smoothest neck pickup ever, medium output, downright godlike for gain saturated leads and warm and sparkly for clean tones.

Final Impression
The Sterling however has now managed to take top spot in my choice of guitars.
The neck, the surprisingly light weight of it, the aesthetics, the knobs, the awesome DiMarzio's, everything about it is just awesome for me.
It also has a versatility to it that I like, as much as right now, of course I want to go on a Dream Theater binge session, I don't feel limited to playing just metal on it.
Calling it a jack of all trades doesn't quite fit as that implies it's a master of none.

To me at least, this guitar is a master of all.
Last edited by peppersghost08 at Apr 16, 2014,
Beautiful guitar man. I love that burst. It is a little disheartening that such a nice instrument came unsetup. When will companies learn?

Enjoy the new axe!
Nice finish on that!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
HNGD, that's a nice looking guitar. The finish looks really cool, I've only seen the 3 tone sunburst before.

Enjoy
This thread is 8 hours old and not a single crack about Sterling Ball?

UG, you disappoint me.

HNGD, that finish is great.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Sterling's always on the ernieball.com forums (rather than setting up new guitars apparently, lol) so you could go crack jokes right at him if you'd like

HNGD!
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Sterling's always on the ernieball.com forums (rather than setting up new guitars apparently, lol) so you could go crack jokes right at him if you'd like

HNGD!

I'm IP banned for calling him out on censorship of criticism already.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
I'm IP banned for calling him out on censorship of criticism already.

Really!? that's awesome. The guy can be an interesting communicator for sure, although I still think it's cool that he's fairly involved with that community on that level.
Wow, awesome finish dude. Congrats!
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Very sweet looking performer.

Can you post up a close-up of that first fret inlay?

I like the color and finish on it, too.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by DubfromGA
Very sweet looking performer.

Can you post up a close-up of that first fret inlay?

I like the color and finish on it, too.

I can indeed good sir! It's the JP shield.
It's on all of Petrucci's signature models.

Guitars
Sterling by MusicMan JP100D
Ibanez STM1
Epiphone 1967 Flying V (Ltd Edition)
Schecter Omen-8 (2012)
Amps
Randall Diavlo/RD100
Harley Benton 2x12 (V30s)
Marshall JCM2000/DSL401
Links
Soundcloud
Facebook
YouTube 1
YouTube 2
awesome guitar... beautiful finish for sure.
2000 Ibanez RG570 Sour Apple
2009 Ibanez RG321MH MOL
20?? Barracuda bass
Great lookin' axe!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!