Hi UG world,

I've got a Randall RG40 combo amp. I recently discovered that the volume of the clean channel is stuffed. I knew there was something wrong with it so i've been using the dirt channel with 0 distortion. I just realized it was broken just today.

Does anyone have any suggestion like using a pedal to control the volume? I've tried my volume expression pedal but even if it's really barely on the amp has a hum so bad. Are there any pedals out there with a knob to control the volume from the pedal board?

I honestly don't want to take it to be repaired cos it costs $90 per hour to get it fixed.

Help please!!
Open it up, see what value the potentiometer is, grab a soldering iron, buy the same potentiometer from your local electronic components store, and substitute it yourself, it's not really hard.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ +1

What Spambot said is technically correct.

IIRC this is a 40w practice amp. Based on the problem you are having I'd just shelve it and get a new amp. Sorry. $90 won't be worth fixing it and it may be more than just a pot. Yes, there are volume 'knobs' and volume pedals that you can put in an effects loop to help further control the volume but something tells me that is not going to help at all.

Do you have a new amp budget?
spambot and 311, you missed something.

THERE IS THE POTENTIAL THAT THERE ARE DEADLY CHARGES OF ELECTRICITY EVEN IF THE AMP IS OFF. DRAIN THE CAPS.

i like chopsticks, go a little mad happy next time you go to a chinese restaurant, i grab at least 5 sets .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
is there a warranty?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
^^ true bud

I was going to bring that up but I 'think' this is a solid state amp. If it is the good news is you don't have to worry about dying by touching a cap. The bad new is that it may a bitch to repair.

I'd have to dive in more to 'learn more about your amp' but if you don't know some basic electronics then I probably would Not try to diagnose and repair this myself unless you just love your amp. To trashedlostfdup's point.

^Edit. Warranty is probably long expired
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 18, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ true bud

I was going to bring that up but I 'think' this is a solid state amp. If it is the good news is you don't have to worry about dying by touching a cap. The bad new is that it may a bitch to repair.

I'd have to dive in more to 'learn more about your amp' but if you don't know some basic electronics then I probably would Not try to diagnose and repair this myself. To trashedlostfdup's point.

i thought it was hybrid, in which i had no idea, but to be honest i came off of memory and didn't remember right. but IMO its still general good idea to not get people used to being lax and then when they do get a tube amp, get zapped.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^ true dat

Well, from what I can tell it doesn't have an Output Transformer so it is probably SS. Yep, it has an Output Transistor.

I honestly don't think swapping out a new volume potentiometer is going to help much. It is probably board mounted anyway which wouldn't make it fun either. If you love the amp we can try some more things but if you are iffy - then let's talk about new amps
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ true dat

Well, from what I can tell it doesn't have an Output Transformer so it is probably SS. Yep, it has an Output Transistor.

I honestly don't think swapping out a new volume potentiometer is going to help much. It is probably board mounted anyway which wouldn't make it fun either. If you love the amp we can try some more things but if you are iffy - then let's talk about new amps

i had to do that when i was modding the blue voodoo. a solder sucker is thing (syringe styled.

i was very nervous on this it it was also the first time i have used PCB instead or turrets or eyelets, but it wasn't that bad. however unless you have a nice soldering station i wouldn't do it, it seems more precise with the station and one good thing is that you
change the temp.

its not that bad though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 18, 2014,
U r right 311ZOSOVHJH, it's a solid state combo amp. I honestly don't wanna go tinkering in there cos once i started working on one of my guitars and now the bridge volume doesn't work.

There's no warranty cos I got it second hand and I didn't bother to check if all the knobs are working cos, well, i was a noob.

I have no money to buy a new amp and I really love this amp cos it is so versatile. and I love the "shape" knob on it.

Would a noise gate pedal work as a substitute to fixing this thing?

I don't wanna spend much money fixing the amp cos if I do move onto another amp in the future, at least I can take the pedal with me and use it
Quote by MadMuso
U r right 311ZOSOVHJH, it's a solid state combo amp. I honestly don't wanna go tinkering in there cos once i started working on one of my guitars and now the bridge volume doesn't work.

There's no warranty cos I got it second hand and I didn't bother to check if all the knobs are working cos, well, i was a noob.

I have no money to buy a new amp and I really love this amp cos it is so versatile. and I love the "shape" knob on it.

Would a noise gate pedal work as a substitute to fixing this thing?

I don't wanna spend much money fixing the amp cos if I do move onto another amp in the future, at least I can take the pedal with me and use it

either learn to service your own gear or put it in somebody's hands that can fix it.

guitar schematics are VERY simple and soldering is easy, heat the joint and the solder wil suck right in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
You say the problem is only on the clean channel?

Does your Expression pedal also act as a volume pedal?

Does your amp have an effects loop?

Do you have any friends that are good with electronics and have a soldering iron?