I don't know what Im doing wrong. it seems no matter what amp I play through, no matter how I EQ them, they all make this weird honk and squawking noise. is it that my ears just aren't used to playing through a tube amp, or am I EQ-ing wrong or why doesn't any amp sound good. I can get acceptable or tolerable, but never 'good'.

what am I doing wrong?

PS

solid state I can get a good tone, but by their nature solid states are missing that 'special something'.
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Dude...
Try naming ALL the equipment your using first. If no one knows what your random equipment is then no one can even begin to give you an accurate answer. After you describe your equipment (brand and model of each), describe the problem your experiencing. I shouldnt have to tell you any of this... You've been a UG member since 2007.
anything. I've tried strats, les pauls, teles, hollow bodies, flying v, explorers, you name it I've tried. I'm talking about when I try stuff at GC or any other shops, nothing sounds good no matter what I play or what I play it through. Do you think it could be weak tubes on the amps that the store has set up? or am I setting my eq up wrong?

the way I set my eq is everything at 5, then I start bass, mid, treble - in that order.
I go through on each one and use the 5 setting as I would a boost/cut knob.
I repeat until I get the tone I want.

^is that the right way to set eq or what's the right way?
I'm thinking it may be the way I eq, cause someone else will use it and they'll get amazing tone fairly easily.

or what am I doing wrong?

We love you. God Bless.
What amp is it?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
any.
but most recently bugera V22. not the best, I know.

We love you. God Bless.
Last edited by neptune1988 at Apr 16, 2014,
Is this a serious thread?

Maybe you just don't like the sound of an electric guitar? That's all I've got for ya.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Honking and squaking sounds like feedback. Idk maybe you're just playing too loud. Or if it sounds like crap you;re playign too low. Either that or you have some static based superpower that destroys all vacuum tubes you come in contact with.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
It may be cause you're used to playing with solid state. Tube amps are more dynamic when you pick or strum. You can't just bash away all willy-nilly, they're a live animal for Chris's sake, you have to use proper technique. A solid state amp may hide sloppy playing where a tube amp will magnify it and embarrass you. Not saying you suck, just that you may be accustomed to the "feel" of ss. Plus eq'ing for what you wanna do is different on different amps and with different guitars. There's a lot of variables. If it happens with every guitar and amp, you've isolated the problem.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 17, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
Honking and squaking sounds like feedback. Idk maybe you're just playing too loud. Or if it sounds like crap you;re playign too low. Either that or you have some static based superpower that destroys all vacuum tubes you come in contact with.

definitely that. I usually try out tube amps in the 20-30 watt range, volume is usually set to about a third and to me that's loud enough for my uses. but about what percentage of volume should they be cranked to in order to get the 'sweet spot' I hear being talked about?

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by neptune1988
definitely that. I usually try out tube amps in the 20-30 watt range, volume is usually set to about a third and to me that's loud enough for my uses. but about what percentage of volume should they be cranked to in order to get the 'sweet spot' I hear being talked about?

That's not the problem.

You've claimed that every guitar plugged into every tube amp you've ever tried has sounded like ass, yet others can get them to sound fine.

Given that broad range, it's clearly NOT the gear.

So where's what you do. You take a friend that you know can make a given combination sound good and have him set up a tone you like. You then take the guitar in hand and see what happens. If the tone then sucks, it's your playing. If it doesn't it's your settings.

Simple.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with Arby911, do that test with a friend.

Judging from the way you described the issue, it seems like user error to me, and not the equipment. Either in your playing technique, or in your ears.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112