Hello, all!
I've got the chance to get a Mesa Mark IV head for $750. This seems like a pretty great deal, and I've always loved the sound I hear Jim Matheos and John Petrucci get from them. I haven't been able to play through this thing myself yet, but I see a lot of people complain online about the Rh2 channel, but nobody is ever specific about what they dislike about it... all the comments are "it sucks," which tells me nothing. Mark IV owners, what is so bad about the Rh2 channel? I heard some YouTube clips, and it doesn't sound very bad to me. I'm wanting a mid to high gain amp that still has good cleans, and I'm open to suggestions for other amps. Please, no Rectifiers. I'm trading in my 3120, which is basically a Recto stuck in modern mode.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Great price. If it works, don't even think about it, you can resell it for more if its not your thing.

FWIW, I find R2 to sound very thin and weak. Lacks punch and doesn't really do anything the other two channels can't do better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Megadeth2011
Hello, all!
I've got the chance to get a Mesa Mark IV head for $750. This seems like a pretty great deal, and I've always loved the sound I hear Jim Matheos and John Petrucci get from them. I haven't been able to play through this thing myself yet, but I see a lot of people complain online about the Rh2 channel, but nobody is ever specific about what they dislike about it... all the comments are "it sucks," which tells me nothing. Mark IV owners, what is so bad about the Rh2 channel? I heard some YouTube clips, and it doesn't sound very bad to me. I'm wanting a mid to high gain amp that still has good cleans, and I'm open to suggestions for other amps. Please, no Rectifiers. I'm trading in my 3120, which is basically a Recto stuck in modern mode.

i have the head $760 with all brand new tubes and a bag of the old ones. so pretty much the same.

RH2 is kind of odd at first. i boost it with my timmy, use the active EQ and that is my rhythm tone. the lead channel i boost a little bit with the zendrive to smooth things out and get that sweat lead.

i never use the OD's together, just a second thing to step on. it has worked great for me. i just have a feeling that some people haven't given the time to get it right.

it may sound weird to use two different boosts seperatly, but it works really nice. sounds pretty damn good
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The R2 channel doesn't suck at all. The fact of the matter is that is "sucks" because R1 and R2 share some of the EQ knobs, which practically means that R1 OR R2 sounds good, but not both at the same time.

Because of this you can better think of the Mark IV as a two-channel amp (An epic one, mind you!).
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Last edited by RMB at Apr 18, 2014,
The R2 channel is good if you crank the gain and want to get a good classic rock sound. I prefer the R1 channel with the gain cranked for a dirtier blues sound, though. That gritty sound that the R2 channel is supposed to give can sound a bit thin, IMO. You can also alleviate the EQ problem a little by assigning the graphic EQ to the R2 channel, so you're not completely enslaved by the R1/R2 bass and mid settings. Fortunately, with the Mark IV, the treble control makes the most difference over your sound.
Hi, I'm Peter