Is it normal for an amp to have an amount of buzz to it? I recently bought a used Valveking 212 from GC, used, and even without the guitar plugged in, there's a low frequency buzz. Also, when the reverb is turned up there is another buzz that comes in.
Hey

Free bump day.

The short answer is that most amps have a certain amount of buzz to them just sitting there. Buzz can come from lots of places and can sometimes be hard to nail down. I used to own a Valveking but your issue is not Valveking specific. I guess it depends on how loud or prominent the buzz is.

Some factors that may cause excessive buzz (on a tube amp like yours) might be

*Grounding issue. Hard to nail down but try the amp in a different room or different house.
*Guitar grounding issue. You said it buzzes without a guitar but a poorly grounded guitar will make it worse
*Bad preamp tube(s). Swap the preamp tubes and/or buy a few more and swap them in and out.
*Bad power tube(s). Less likely but you try new tubes or swap the positions of the power tubes
*Interference. This is a big one. Somewhat related to grounding but florecent lights, cell phones, tvs, radios, squirrels, etc can cause this too - especially if you have a microphonic preamp tube.
*crappy speakers - the Valveking has crappy stock speaker. Less likely.
*cables. check em'

I made this - it might help

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Some factors that may cause excessive buzz (on a tube amp like yours) might be

*Grounding issue. Hard to nail down but try the amp in a different room or different house.
*Guitar grounding issue. You said it buzzes without a guitar but a poorly grounded guitar will make it worse
*Bad preamp tube(s). Swap the preamp tubes and/or buy a few more and swap them in and out.
*Bad power tube(s). Less likely but you try new tubes or swap the positions of the power tubes
*Interference. This is a big one. Somewhat related to grounding but florecent lights, cell phones, tvs, radios, squirrels, etc can cause this too - especially if you have a microphonic preamp tube.
*crappy speakers - the Valveking has crappy stock speaker. Less likely.
*cables. check em'

I made this - it might help

listen to the man

i also owned a VK (head) its not the quitest amp, pretty loud and hissy in comparison to the average.

for example,

i can near dime one of my splawns and there is just a very faint hiss. cheaper amps use lower quality parts what certainly have setbacks. valve kings are't bad amps, but not perfect.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/