Page 1 of 2
Hey UG. So I decided I want my first real half stack to be a JCM800. Not really caring about the cab right now, probably just something with V30s.

Problem is I don't have a grand (USD) to drop on an amp and won't anywhere in the near future.

So your task is this: Recommend me an amp with that thick, warm, sludgey distortion tone the JCM 800 has for less money. I play just about anything that can be considered metal (which means nothing with a -core suffix lol). Don't care new or used, located in NY, but that won't matter considering this purchase probably won't happen until the end of the year. Just looking for recommendations.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Laney AOR
Peavey Windsor
something by Splawn but that might be too expensive.
Peavey Butcher (80's Model not the new one)
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Apr 16, 2014,
Laney AOR or Peavey VTM
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
JCM2000.

I just got one recently and its pretty good for 70s-modernish stuff. I think it could pull off the 800 tone.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Loved my Peavey VTM. A lot more than the Laney AOR I had. They aren't easy to find though. Alternatively, if you're really on a budget... you can find Peavey Windsors cheap as sin.
Randall RD20, 45 or 100 depending on how much volume and what features you want. I know some guys here really like the Krank 1980 as well for those sounds, but I've never played one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Krank 1980
Krank Chadwick
Laney AOR
Laney GH50/100
Peavey Windsor
Peavey VTM
Marshall JCM900 MKIII
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100

Sell the Line 6 and use that money to buy a decent cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks guys. I'll be looking into the Laney definitely, always like their amps. If an 800 comes up on my gear exchange I may have to jump on it though haha.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
A used JCM2000 DSL maybe? The green channel is close to JCM800 in voicing and you can get it way less than a grand. Its Marshall and sounds like one.

Peavey Windsor and I think Laney GH50 (I may mix this to some other model) are based on JCM800 but with their own twist.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Be careful with AOR's. They are notorious for having dodgey tube sockets. Before buying it, punch it firmly on the top and if it makes a popping/cracking noise, walk away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Certainly wouldn't be exactly a JCM800, but I can get some pretty convincing tones of that style from my Carvin V3. They're pretty reasonably priced, both new and used. Could be something to look into.
Everyone already said it, but it's still worth mentioning. Laney AOR

Also look around for a Peavey VTM. You can find em real cheap now and then. A guy is selling a VTM60 with a 4x12 on my local craigslist for $250. Very good for what it is, a few mods and it becomes great.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Apr 16, 2014,
I'd take a VTM over an AOR. The only people that should buy AOR's are those with the technical skills required to keep the working. They were made during a period where Laney QC was so bad that even Tony Iommi stopped using them.

A JCM2000 DSL made after 2003 is your best option IMO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've never heard complaints about AOR reliability before to be honest, and I have quite a few friends that use them.
They've either been lucky or somebody has already replaced the sockets before. Trust me, it's a real thing. AOR's have a really bad reputation for reliability. Laneys from that period were built very poorly, cost cutting everywhere.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'd take a VTM over an AOR. The only people that should buy AOR's are those with the technical skills required to keep the working. They were made during a period where Laney QC was so bad that even Tony Iommi stopped using them.

+311
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MaaZeus
A used JCM2000 DSL maybe? The green channel is close to JCM800 in voicing and you can get it way less than a grand. Its Marshall and sounds like one.

Peavey Windsor and I think Laney GH50 (I may mix this to some other model) are based on JCM800 but with their own twist.

The GH really doesn't sound of feel anything like an 800 to me. The AOR does, but I'd listen to Cathbard.

The 1980 by Krank is excellent, I hear great things about the Chadwick. A Jet City 100HDM is in the same vein and is good an amp as you can get for the price used. Besides possibly the dirt cheap Peavey VTM
Quote by Cathbard

I'm handy with a soldering iron and know my way around electronics. While I've never fixed an amp I feel confident I could fix it if need be. But I will look into the other amps suggested as well.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I actually quite like the sound of the AOR but if I was to get one myself I'd immediately replace all the tube sockets with something decent.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I actually quite like the sound of the AOR but if I was to get one myself I'd immediately replace all the tube sockets with something decent.

Is that terribly hard to do? Or expensive as a DIY?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
It involves removing the circuit board. It's not a particularly hard job but if you have no experience working on amps you may think otherwise. What I think is easy may not be for a novice. I think it's relatively easy but I've been pulling apart amps and repairing them for 30 years or so
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It involves removing the circuit board. It's not a particularly hard job but if you have no experience working on amps you may think otherwise. What I think is easy may not be for a novice. I think it's relatively easy but I've been pulling apart amps and repairing them for 30 years or so

Not to say I've never opened up an amp before. I retubed and biased my Spider Valve. I mean, that's nothing but yeah haha. I have a lot of time to think about this purchase and it probably will depend on how much I take in for the holidays. I just wanto to be able to pull the trigger on something as soon as I can. I'm always ripping apart my guitars and pedals before I got the POD. So I'll look into it.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Just buy a post 2003 JCM200 DSL50/100 and load it up with JJ tubes. Don't buy any JCM2000 made prior to that unless you want to replace the bridge rectifier with a bigger heatsinked one. That's the only issue with JCM2000's. It will get you where you want to go and then some.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Just buy a post 2003 JCM200 DSL50/100 and load it up with JJ tubes. Don't buy any JCM2000 made prior to that unless you want to replace the bridge rectifier with a bigger heatsinked one. That's the only issue with JCM2000's. It will get you where you want to go and then some.

Is there an easy way to tell the production date on the 2000s?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Is there an easy way to tell the production date on the 2000s?

it is in the serial #
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
One amp that show up on my gear exchange a lot is the B 52 AT100. Any thoughts on these? I hear they are pretty good when they aren't on fire
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
They're hilariously unreliable and problem prone. Doesn't matter how good they sound, TBH.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
They're hilariously unreliable and problem prone. Doesn't matter how good they sound, TBH.

I'm lucky? I bought a used one a while back and it's been "on loan" to a friend for 4+ years, problem-free. It does sound quite nice.
Even some Bugeras don't blow up in your face. You can get lucky with anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Even some Bugeras don't blow up in your face. You can get lucky with anything.

My friend/bandmate just bought a 333XL half stack new. Hope to god it doesn't blow up on him mid solo.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I'm bringing this one back for a bit. Anyone play the Peavey 6534+? Listening to sound clips it seems to be exactly what I want. The only issue I have is the metalcore image it has.

I the Peavey 6505 family reliable? I know they have like 10 tubes or something like that and cost a fortune to retube.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I'm bringing this one back for a bit. Anyone play the Peavey 6534+? Listening to sound clips it seems to be exactly what I want. The only issue I have is the metalcore image it has.

I the Peavey 6505 family reliable? I know they have like 10 tubes or something like that and cost a fortune to retube.

Yeah they are very reliable, but they sound nothing like a JCM800
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Way off topic but I just noticed the Cort in your sig. I have one from the same time. I've had mine for bout a decade and played the shit out of it for years and its still solid as a rock. I don't know about their current product, but Cort made some damn fine guitars at a good price. Very underrated imo.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah they are very reliable, but they sound nothing like a JCM800

The 6534+ kinda does. I'm going for a Mastodon-y sound anyway. I found out they use a combination of Orange Thunderverbs and The Kerry Kind JCM800, which sounds very different from a regular JCM800 anyway.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by lucky1978
Way off topic but I just noticed the Cort in your sig. I have one from the same time. I've had mine for bout a decade and played the shit out of it for years and its still solid as a rock. I don't know about their current product, but Cort made some damn fine guitars at a good price. Very underrated imo.

Yeah I love it but it's the ugliest guitar I've ever played, and I had a Teisco for a while. I'm refinishing it come the summer.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
The 6534+ kinda does. I'm going for a Mastodon-y sound anyway. I found out they use a combination of Orange Thunderverbs and The Kerry Kind JCM800, which sounds very different from a regular JCM800 anyway.

No the 6534+ sounds like a 5150 with a bit more midrange bite, nothing like a JCM800

Mastodon uses Marshall Plexi's and 800's a lot.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ isn't the 6534 just a 6505 with EL34s? I haven't tried it, but if so, yeah, not really 800-ish.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah it's biased slightly differently too (obviously). But I still like the tone. Idk what it is. I'll look into it more.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Page 1 of 2