I was wondering what anyone else who perhaps has had or has a JSX, thinks of it? What settings have you found to be most beneficial for playing metal? I have heard people make this amp sound like a dream for metal, just trying to figure out the best settings people have found for the application of metal. Any suggestions?
Couple things.

1. it really also depends on what other equipment do you have.
Say you wanna play metal with a vintage spec'd tele through a 2x12 with greenbacks, and it sounds good to you with the knobs in a certain position.
Now, say you wanna play metal with last year's explorer through a mesa rectifier oversized 4x12 - if you keep the settings the same on the amp, the thing'll likely not sound really good.

2. yeah, like there's only one kind of metal sound.
Be hella more specific next time.

bonus. what sounds good to some may not sound good to some else, so start from everything at 12 o' clock, turn each knob fully clockwise and then fully counterclockwise to actually appreciate what changes in the sound, and then set them the way you like it most.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Great amp. Pretty hard to make it sound bad. Just put everything on 0 and turn up til it sounds good.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
They do tend to be a bit sensitive to tubes though. In a JSX, I'd run nothing but JJ's in the preamp unless you went for NOS, in which case I'd probably go for RFT's, maybe a mixture of RFT and Bugle Boys if I could afford them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the active EQ could be a little different than others passive EQ's but i haven't had a problem.

set it at noon. and as others have said get it dialed in slowly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Spambot_2
Couple things.

1. it really also depends on what other equipment do you have.
Say you wanna play metal with a vintage spec'd tele through a 2x12 with greenbacks, and it sounds good to you with the knobs in a certain position.
Now, say you wanna play metal with last year's explorer through a mesa rectifier oversized 4x12 - if you keep the settings the same on the amp, the thing'll likely not sound really good.

2. yeah, like there's only one kind of metal sound.
Be hella more specific next time.

bonus. what sounds good to some may not sound good to some else, so start from everything at 12 o' clock, turn each knob fully clockwise and then fully counterclockwise to actually appreciate what changes in the sound, and then set them the way you like it most.

It makes sense...so sorry guess i should have told you. I play on a 4 12 peavey cab and a 4 12 line six cab. I know weird right? hahah that's all i have though. I have an ibanez guitar rg series with seymore duncan invaders in it. But yeah it makes perfects sense. I will try that for sure. You gave me some great direction.
Quote by ambler3
Also, general rule of the thumb: Mids always higher than Bass and Treble. Unless scooped mids is the sound you're after.

I do kind of like my mids a little more pronounced actually. But i do like the beefyness of the low end too. I will try that next time for sure. Thanks
Quote by Cathbard
They do tend to be a bit sensitive to tubes though. In a JSX, I'd run nothing but JJ's in the preamp unless you went for NOS, in which case I'd probably go for RFT's, maybe a mixture of RFT and Bugle Boys if I could afford them.

Actually i just bought a retube kit for the JSX. I got the high gain JJ-6L6 kit from Eurotubes. Heard they were great. Kinda scared to install and set the bias. Never have done it before, i don't wanna blow anything up but i can't wait to learn how to do it either.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the active EQ could be a little different than others passive EQ's but i haven't had a problem.

set it at noon. and as others have said get it dialed in slowly.

Seems to be the way to go. Thank you so much! You dudes and gals on ultimate guitar have been a blessing! You are worth so much. Thanks
Quote by Jabez'Prayer
Actually i just bought a retube kit for the JSX. I got the high gain JJ-6L6 kit from Eurotubes. Heard they were great. Kinda scared to install and set the bias. Never have done it before, i don't wanna blow anything up but i can't wait to learn how to do it either.

You won't blow anything up easily. Flick the switch to 6L6 and adjust the bias control until you read -55V on the probe point with your multimeter.
Preamp tubes don't need to biased, just plug those in and go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I will try to next time. So sorry I am new to this hahaha. And ok will do thanks (forsaknazrael). To cathbard response....I have heard about people having to deal with pplate voltage??? Not really sure how to go about it....if it is even adjustable or does it matter? Also do you have to bias each one? Or does just setting one spread the load equally with the right amount of amperage to all of the power tubes?
Don't worry about plate voltage, the JSX can handle 6L6 and EL34 plate voltages. You don't have to bias every tube.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
People discuss plate voltage on forums in an attempt to calculate what the actual bias current is and therefore how hard they can actually push it - it's an academic discussion. If you adjust it to -55V at the probe point like the manual says, all will be peachy.
The reason you buy matched sets is so you only have to set one bias voltage and every tube will be right. Otherwise you need a separate bias adjuster for each tube (which is how it is done on the Randall RM100). Yours doesn't; one bias adjustment does them all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Awesome cathbard and dementiacaptain thanks. It makes sense what you said cathbard...I finished putting them in yesterday! Thank u so much
Any noticeable improvement?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Any noticeable improvement?

NO!!!! Ah i am so bummed...I put them in, measured plate voltage, did the math, biased my amp and still does the same thing. It sounds way nice and beefy tho! But the squeal is still there. The only reason i changed them is because i developed this gnarly squeal. If i am playing a break down it only does it on the little pauses, same with the riffs. It seems way worse than feedback. Horrible actually. I have to turn the gain and highs way down and still have to turn down my amp to almost nothing to get rid of it. It's basically a practice amp right now. I don't know what to do. But your advice on the tubes helped! I didn't blow anything up! hahaha Thanks...have any ideas about this? I changed my pickups out to those synyster gates invaders and ever since then its been like this. I tried a different guitar with seymore duncans as well and it did the same thing. Any ideas?
Did you change the preamp tubes too? That's where squeal normally comes from.

Short of that, just start isolating different elements, try a different guitar, cable, remove any effects...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I was gonna say if its only happened ever since changing pickups have you tried ysing a differnt guitar?
Yeah It would make sense wouldnt it? Haha yeah I did that too....and I a different guitar......am I just going to have to live with little to no gain now? Haha
Does it squeal when there is no cable plugged in at all?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No it doesn't, it only squeals when I play. It stops if I turn way down and turn my gain and highs way down. I have Synyster Gates Invaders by Seymore Duncan in my Ibanez RG series guuitar....pretty hot pups. They are wax potted I believe. I just see people playing with them and with this amp and seem to not have this problem.
It only squeals where feedback usually takes place...but it seems so much worse than feedback. So if I continue to play it does not squeal but as soon as I play a riff with little breaks in between or even a breakdown; in the open spaces is where it squeals. Takes the place of feedback you know? It is just far worse than any feedback I have heard. Could it be that my settings and pick ups are too hot, especially at that volume? If so, how do people manage to play through amps so loud with no problems?