I need my frets leveled on my RG520 and my H-301, and I'm looking for someone who does a good job and charges a fair price.

Preferrably somewhere in the San Diego / Inland Empire / Orange County region is preferable. I'm sure there's a ton of techs in Los Angeles/Hollywood but that's a pretty far drive from me.

Anyone know anyone?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I need my frets leveled on my RG520 and my H-301, and I'm looking for someone who does a good job and charges a fair price.

Preferrably somewhere in the San Diego / Inland Empire / Orange County region is preferable. I'm sure there's a ton of techs in Los Angeles/Hollywood but that's a pretty far drive from me.

Anyone know anyone?

I don't (though I spend enough time in the Inland Empire area these days).

I mostly haul my stuff up to Gary Brawer in San Francisco (in part because I'm up there visiting relatives and Google friends). Great tech, has had a PLEK machine for about a dozen years now (the new one is about a year old).

But I'd call Wild West Guitars and see who they'd recommend. This is a place that specializes in high-end guitars -- no junk. And if you haven't BEEN to Wild West guitars, you owe yourself a visit (this is NOT going to be a guitar store in the way that you're used to), and you DEFINITELY want to check out the Voodoo Lounge in the back of the place. That's all I'll say about that. About half a block north of the Comfort Inn on University in Riverside.

1546 7th St, Riverside, CA 92507
(951) 369-7888
That actually may be a feasible solution. My dad lives outside of SF. How much does it cost for that (kind of afraid to ask lol)?

Thanks, I'll definitely have to check out WWG sometime. Never even heard of it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
That actually may be a feasible solution. My dad lives outside of SF. How much does it cost for that (kind of afraid to ask lol)?

Thanks, I'll definitely have to check out WWG sometime. Never even heard of it.

Call Gary. He doesn't do email well, but gives great phone. He's on 15 Lafayette, just off Market, right next to the northbound Golden Gate (101) FWY. You'll walk through a sketchy-looking used/vintage guitar store to get to his shop, but he and his guys are state of the art. Prices (I thought) were reasonable. More importantly, your guitars will be done right.

I'd never heard of WWG, either. It's in one of those light industrial buildings, with no windows, no foot traffic, none of that. Very non-descript with only a small sign that says Wild West on the outside (no mention of guitars at all). The front door is *locked* and you have to tell them that you're there to see guitars and then they'll let you in. Very high end Fenders,Suhrs, etc. -- nothing low-end. Most of their business is online, but their website really doesn't give you anything like an idea of what they have. And do NOT forget the Voodoo Lounge. I was astounded. I'd been doing meetings at that Comfort Inn for months and had no idea it was literally walking distance away.
I have a fret leveler if you want to do it yourself. You have to polish them afterwards with 1000-2000 grit sand paper. Lots of work unless you are lazy or don't want to risk it a first time.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Do you do setups? Seems like a random tool to have, lol

And yeah I would screw it up for sure.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Alex Murry at (909)261-8901 in the Ontario area.
digitalrain@roadrunner.com

Quality work at very low cost. He did some Strat rewiring and is the only one who works on my 55 Les Paul.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Offworld92

I've done 2 guitars of my own. They came out better than what I have paid for in the past, like most things guitar related I've felt like the people doing the work did either half assed it or didn't know what the hell they were doing.

It's been 2 years since I did one and would NOT feel comfortable charging someone to do it. I leveled the frets, polished them, setup the neck relief and adjusted the string height.

If you do a good job in prep taping everything the rest is pretty easy, it just a little elbow grease. If you take too much fret material off you'd have to reshape them. I didn't need that tool on either of my guitars.

Might want to try that guy Cajundaddy suggested, Ontario isn't that far from you. At least you have 1 good reference for him.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by dspellman
Thought of one more -- the Fret House in Covina. No personal experience, but I have friends who are really happy with them. http://www.frethouse.com/

Their work is first-rate, and they can do some of the more difficult work on some pretty tricky instruments: old acoustic guitars, banjos, etc. I have had work done there and I have been extremely happy with it - particularly their fret dressing.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Offworld92

Not that random, I have one too. I've only used it on one guitar (the only guitar I have with a 7.25" radius) but it was cheap and I hate paying people to do things I should be able to do myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification