Hey,

I am currently using AKG K77 as my workhorse head phone's and i'd like to upgrade.

I will be using the Headphones as general home studio use headphones, they will be used for tracking, general playback and (as im waiting till my studio build is finished before buying monitors) they will be used for monitoring purposes.

My price range is Around £120.

I was looking at getting a pair of AKG K271 mk2's but then i saw Audio Technica ATH-M50's come up at a £53 off deal for £79.

Would it be better to go for the AKG's or the Audio Technica's OR Will i not get a massive improvement on what i already have and save up for an alternative?

Many Thanks.
I'd go for the ATH-M50s. They are great. So great that I would feel confident mixing completely on them, with no other reference.

The K271s are cool headphones, but they're quite anemic in the bass.

For reference, here's a graph of their frequency responses:

(Invalid img)
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Wouldn't trust any frequency response diagram coming from the manufacturer, though up for the ATH-M50 or M50x if you fancy the detachable cable + more puffy earpads.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Don't rule out Sony MDR 7506. Found on more pro studio consoles than any other cans. Very neutral and uncolored and comfortable for long sessions. Still found periodically on Amazon

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sony-mdr-7506.php
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 16, 2014,
I think that pretty much settles that then. Only other question is are the ATH-M50x's much better than the normal ones? i can get the normal ones for £79. The new ones are £130ish.

Is the only differences the detachable cable and the new ear pads?
Don't rule out Sony MDR 7506. Found on more pro studio consoles than any other cans. Very neutral and uncolored and comfortable for long sessions. Still found periodically on AmazonThey're a bit (too) harsher than the audio technica.
If you wanted sony's I'd suggest the MDR7510s which should be an updated version of the MDR7506, though for the money I'd still get the M50.
Quote by billabob
I think that pretty much settles that then. Only other question is are the ATH-M50x's much better than the normal ones? i can get the normal ones for £79. The new ones are £130ish.

Is the only differences the detachable cable and the new ear pads?
As far as I know the thing, yeah.
Maybe there's some other minor difference about the "comfort" part, but the sound is the same indeed.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Love M50s and would recommend them to anyone, casuals just for listening/movies etc as well.

Mine broke now after 3 years of heavy use though and I just instantly ordered another pair.
Read about the m50x too while contemplating and and indeed seems to just be the cable and pads.

Direct quote from their website
As the most critically acclaimed model in the M-Series line, the ATH-M50 is praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers year after year. Now, the ATH-M50x professional monitor headphones feature the same coveted sonic signature, with the added feature of detachable cables. From the large aperture drivers, sound isolating earcups and robust construction, the M50x provides an unmatched experience for the most critical audio professionals.

For me, this wasn't worth the price difference so I just got another pair of regulars.
For the price difference its not worth it. I know having a detachable cables handy but ive been using fixed cable headphones much cheaper than the m50's for years without breaking so i think ill be safe enough!

Thanks guys! Im going for the m50's!
There's also a mod for the M50's that you can look up so that if you want it, you can have a detachable cable.
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater