So in just under a week, I'll be receiving this:

This will be the base of a partscaster build that I'm planning on putting together.

I plan to load it with a new bridge from axetec as I find the ashtray style bridge awkward to play on and I'd also prefer to have modern style, individual saddles as opposed to barrel style saddles due to the improved intonation. I'll also be adding Seymour Duncan pickups (STK-T3B and STK-T1N) and a tortoiseshell scratchplate.
I'll be swapping out the neck for a 22 fret Mighty Mite neck with a maple fretboard which I'll be applying a Fender decal to purely because I don't like the look of blank headstocks. I'll also be adding Planet Waves auto-trim locking tuners to improve the tuning stability. I'm really looking forward to starting this and ending up with my dream guitar for just around £500!

The end result will look like this

I'll keep the thread updated as parts come
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Last edited by lolometer1 at Apr 16, 2014,
So everything has been ordered and should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. I've decided to also install one of these:

(I can't remember what they're actually called) because I always have a problem with my jack plates messing up and coming loose and fixing it becomes quite irritating after a while!
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
is that jack plate thing a standalone? I likes it alot.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter
is that jack plate thing a standalone? I likes it alot.

Yeah, this one comes with the jack plate, the screws to attach it to the guitar and a jack plug. Got it from axetec, they're awesome!
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Quote by lolometer1
So everything has been ordered and should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. I've decided to also install one of these:

(I can't remember what they're actually called) because I always have a problem with my jack plates messing up and coming loose and fixing it becomes quite irritating after a while!

Electrosocket Jack Mount.

What model is that Squier or what's the body wood? What kind of frets are on the MM?

What method will you use for the Fender decal on the headstock? Will it look like it was done at a factory, or just be a sticker? Is the neck already finished or will you need to do something like a clear coat?
Quote by Ippon
Electrosocket Jack Mount.

What model is that Squier or what's the body wood? What kind of frets are on the MM?

THAT'S THE ONE! I believe the body is alder, it's from a fsr custom vibe telecaster custom! EDIT: They're medium Jumbo frets I believe, perfect for me!

Quote by Oman1095
What method will you use for the Fender decal on the headstock? Will it look like it was done at a factory, or just be a sticker? Is the neck already finished or will you need to do something like a clear coat?

The decal is a waterslide decal which you soak in warm water for 30-50 seconds, position it on the headstock, slide out the paper backing and then smooth down. I believe the neck is finished but if it isn't I'll probably be finishing it with wax or oil to keep a nice satin feel which I'll get from the hardware store 5 minutes walk from my house!

NOW FOR UPDATES!

So, today while I was at uni, my housemates girlfriend signed for some deliveries for me. Inside one box was the guitar which in my haste I forgot to take some pictures of before making the first of the modifications. In another package was a pickguard, a bridge and two Electrosocket jack mounts (thanks Ippon for the name!) and there was also an envelope with an envelope inside it and an envelope inside that with a decal in it! But that's enough talk, time for pictures!

This was the only problem, the bridge didn't line up with the string holes and couldn't be pushed into place due to the pickup mounted in it. So I'm sticking with the ashtray which feels surprisingly good at the moment!

But here is the sum total of my progress so far. I'm just waiting on the neck, tuners and straplocks (and the strap and hardcase I ordered for this guitar) and I can finish this project!

On a sidenote, I went and picked up a Mooer Hustle Drive yesterday and my lord, the tones from this tiny box are magnificent!
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Last edited by lolometer1 at Apr 23, 2014,
Quote by lolometer1

The decal is a waterslide decal which you soak in warm water for 30-50 seconds, position it on the headstock, slide out the paper backing and then smooth down. I believe the neck is finished but if it isn't I'll probably be finishing it with wax or oil to keep a nice satin feel which I'll get from the hardware store 5 minutes walk from my house!

Waterslide was going to be my first guess. Where did you find yours and what do you know about custom ones? I'm thinking about getting some for the work I do. Looking forward to more project updates.
Quote by Oman1095
Waterslide was going to be my first guess. Where did you find yours and what do you know about custom ones? I'm thinking about getting some for the work I do. Looking forward to more project updates.

Wouldn't whoever gave the logo out be worried that it might be used on a fake telecaster and sold to somebody? Just curious.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
Wouldn't whoever gave the logo out be worried that it might be used on a fake telecaster and sold to somebody? Just curious.
I'm fairly sure the guys that supply the custom/replica logos aren't bothered about how they're going to be used.

Personally, I don't hold with putting an incorrect brand on a customised guitar for precisely that reason. I'm sure the OP here has no intention of passing this off as a genuine Fender Telecaster further down the line, but if the only reason you're putting a logo on the headstock is "purely because [you] don't like the look of blank headstocks" then why not put a Squier logo on? Because that's what it is - an upgraded Squier.

I mean no offence to lolometer1 here. I'm sure he's a decent, upstanding member of society, but having inadvertently bought a fake Epi LP on ebay I'm a little touchy on the subject. (I look more carefully these days.)

It also raises the question of when (or if) "upgrading" should prevent you from calling your guitar by its original name. Take this example: if you start with a Squier Telecaster but change the bridge, pickups, pick guard, neck, tuners (basically everything but the body, switch and pots) is it still a Squier Tele? I don't know. But I do know that it's not a Fender Tele.
Quote by Oman1095

I found it on eBay, it seemed like there were a few people listing custom ones, not sure on the quality of them but I'm sure half an hour of googling and sifting through eBay will give you what you need

Quote by 457undead

Yeah, for sure! In the description for this one on eBay it even said that these were intended for use in repairs!

Quote by von Layzonfon
I'm fairly sure the guys that supply the custom/replica logos aren't bothered about how they're going to be used.

Personally, I don't hold with putting an incorrect brand on a customised guitar for precisely that reason. I'm sure the OP here has no intention of passing this off as a genuine Fender Telecaster further down the line, but if the only reason you're putting a logo on the headstock is "purely because [you] don't like the look of blank headstocks" then why not put a Squier logo on? Because that's what it is - an upgraded Squier.

I mean no offence to lolometer1 here. I'm sure he's a decent, upstanding member of society, but having inadvertently bought a fake Epi LP on ebay I'm a little touchy on the subject. (I look more carefully these days.)

It also raises the question of when (or if) "upgrading" should prevent you from calling your guitar by its original name. Take this example: if you start with a Squier Telecaster but change the bridge, pickups, pick guard, neck, tuners (basically everything but the body, switch and pots) is it still a Squier Tele? I don't know. But I do know that it's not a Fender Tele.

I completely agree and I'm 100% against using fake logos when sale is the intention and if I intended to sell this guitar then I would leave the logo off but like I said in the OP, I'm building my "dream guitar" and I'm not planing on selling it at any point.
I'm using a Fender logo because at this point all of my electric guitars and my main bass are Squiers which I get a lot of crap for using (don't really see why) and I also figured if I'm going to make my dream Fender Telecaster, why not use the Fender logo.

Rest assured though, I am no scoundrel (at least when it comes to guitars) and I in NO way intend to sell this guitar and if it ever comes to that then I will be making sure to make it incredibly clear that this is not a real Fender!

That is an interesting point too! I'd never really thought about it but I definitely will be a lot now! For me, I can't tell what I'd call it other than Telecaster or Partscaster
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
SO TODAY....
I got some mail

And I went ahead and put the strap locks on

Also, as of about 5 minutes ago, the decal is cut down to size however, I'm going to wait until the tuners have come through to apply it so that I can make sure it's not going to be covered at all

Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.

Just test fit the neck and it's beautiful! I can see it really turning into what I had in mind now Apologies for my room being a heap. Had a lot of summative work lately for the end of my semester at uni
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Last edited by lolometer1 at Apr 24, 2014,
Quote by von Layzonfon
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention while I was up on my soap-box...it looks really nice.

Haha! Thanks buddy! Stay up on the soap-box if you like, I enjoy the intelligent conversation! Being 19 and spending most of my time with other 19 year olds, it's something I don't run into often
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Quote by lolometer1
I found it on eBay, it seemed like there were a few people listing custom ones, not sure on the quality of them but I'm sure half an hour of googling and sifting through eBay will give you what you need

Alright thanks for the info. When in doubt, consult the mighty Google . Project looks good.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Yesterday, I walked in some horrible rain to pick up a package from the Royal Mail Depot

Inside that package were these

Now, who can spot the mistake?

Yes, due to my stupidity, it seems I ordered 3+3 tuners instead of 6 a side and they do not fit on the headstock but no fear as I had the tuners from the original squier so they're on now.
So after all that, I went and got some warm water

And applied the decal
Before:
And after:
I'm pretty happy with it, it's not immediately obvious that it's an aftermarket decal, only when the light hits it at a certain angle!
Here's a shot before I strung it up

And here's a terribly blurry shot with my bass after being strung up, set up and used to record some ambient folk rock today!
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.