Page 1 of 2
Earlier today, the head scientists of LRN Research said they had concluded their 20 year, $40 million study, and the results spoke for themselves. Water is in fact... *drumroll* wet.

Srsly though, America has ALWAYS been a republic. And republics can be aristocratic, timocratic, oligarchic, or democratic. I believe it was Aristotle who said that a republic (he didn't use the word, but that's what he was referring to) will cycle between those 4 states. I forget what order he said it would be in, but still
I bet they pay Princeton scientists to tell us that water is wet.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
you guys do realize that this actually gives credit to what people are saying right? yeah it might be 'obvious', but without data its easy to dismiss people who makes claims like 'the US is not democratic' or whatever as leftwing nuts, biased against businessmen, anti-american etc. But with data, how could anybody discredit the claims in a way that doesn't make them look moronic? it adds legitimacy to what people might have thought and could actually convince people that America isn't the country that they really think it is.
how conclusive do you really think studies are? i'm not discrediting this study by any means, as i haven't read anything more than several summaries of it, but there are tons of people who make a (damn good) living by engineering studies to "prove" their preconceived hypotheses.

edit: without research data you could still break down the key criteria of a democracy and demonstrate how America fails to meet many of them.... and that's a lot more conclusive than a study.
Last edited by progdude93 at Apr 16, 2014,
ok
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by ironman1478
you guys do realize that this actually gives credit to what people are saying right? yeah it might be 'obvious', but without data its easy to dismiss people who makes claims like 'the US is not democratic' or whatever as leftwing nuts, biased against businessmen, anti-american etc. But with data, how could anybody discredit the claims in a way that doesn't make them look moronic? it adds legitimacy to what people might have thought and could actually convince people that America isn't the country that they really think it is.

Some people will never change their beliefs regardless of the arguments/statistics/studies that invalidate them.
if anything big ups to gawker actually providing source
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I wonder what The Pit is...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by progdude93
Srsly though, America has ALWAYS been a republic. And republics can be aristocratic, timocratic, oligarchic, or democratic. I believe it was Aristotle who said that a republic (he didn't use the word, but that's what he was referring to) will cycle between those 4 states. I forget what order he said it would be in, but still

If we could just ascend into the world of forms we wouldn't have to deal with this anymore.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
ok

Quote by Dwight.Schrute
If we could just ascend into the world of forms we wouldn't have to deal with this anymore.

all you have to do to get there is kill yourself
Quote by progdude93
how conclusive do you really think studies are? i'm not discrediting this study by any means, as i haven't read anything more than several summaries of it, but there are tons of people who make a (damn good) living by engineering studies to "prove" their preconceived hypotheses.

edit: without research data you could still break down the key criteria of a democracy and demonstrate how America fails to meet many of them.... and that's a lot more conclusive than a study.

America is not now nor has it ever been a democracy. It is a representative republic.
An oligarchy at that even. Don't have to go to Princeton to figure that one out.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by MinterMan22
ok

hey minterman22 idk if u saw but i posted this in this thread already. im not sayin u stole my post but i wanted u to no
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
yes
america is a complete olivegarchy
they take our guns
they take our freedom
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by progdude93
all you have to do to get there is kill yourself

I can't remember, was he into virtues? If so, I am sure killing myself is a bit too extreme of an action. Gotta stay classy right down the middle.
Quote by Saint78

Quote by Dwight.Schrute
I can't remember, was he into virtues? If so, I am sure killing myself is a bit too extreme of an action. Gotta stay classy right down the middle.

you're mixing up Plato and Aristotle. Plato was all about the forms. Aristotle was all about virtue. but virtue in that sense is VERY different from how we use it
Quote by progdude93
you're mixing up Plato and Aristotle. Plato was all about the forms. Aristotle was all about virtue. but virtue in that sense is VERY different from how we use it

That's it. But I was using virtue correctly wasn't I? Avoiding extremes and whatnot.
Quote by Saint78

\

yes. yes it is.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by ironman1478

hmmmmmmmm
banned
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
That's it. But I was using virtue correctly wasn't I? Avoiding extremes and whatnot.

no, you're specifically talking about MORAL virtue. we tend to conflate moral virtue with virtue, but the greeks didn't.
Quote by lolmnt
hey minterman22 idk if u saw but i posted this in this thread already. im not sayin u stole my post but i wanted u to no

sorry im new to this hole citation thing

i swear i wasnt trying 2 plagerize u

lemme try this again

ok (lolmnt, 2014)

Quote by MinterMan22
sorry im new to this hole citation thing

i swear i wasnt trying 2 plagerize u

lemme try this again

ok (lolmnt, 2014)

its all good thanx for the cite
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

In other news, cigarettes are bad for you
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by progdude93

Plato was a shit and Aristotle was less of a shit but still a shit.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
In other news, cigarettes are bad for you

no shit? I thought they made your deuces smell like new car

'Muricca was bought and sold long time ago. The country is actually more of a republic because of state representation.
hue
Quote by Rossenrot
Plato was a shit and Aristotle was less of a shit but still a shit.

Hey...look at you, being all edgy and shit. Good for you!
Quote by bradulator
Epicurus is cooler than Aristotle and Plato combined

Socrates now questions the essence of this thread.
hue
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Hey...look at you, being all edgy and shit. Good for you!

Since when is being against totalitarian government and sexism edgy? Your opposition to my posts seems increasingly contrived.
Last edited by Rossenrot at Apr 17, 2014,
Quote by Rossenrot
Since when is being against totalitarian government and sexism edgy? Your opposition to my posts seem increasingly contrived.

Nah, it's just that calling both of those guys shit is sort of missing the contributions both made to philosophy.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 17, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Nah, it's just that your posts read like a 13 year old sometimes.

I'm probably one of the most polite posters here. Most people who read Politics and the Republic come out the other end feeling a little disturbed at some of the contents. It's not a contrarian viewpoint.
Quote by Rossenrot
Most people who read Politics and the Republic come out the other end feeling a little disturbed at some of the contents. It's not a contrarian viewpoint.

Yes...

Now read my edit.
Quote by Rossenrot
Way to make a deal out of a silly post.

Don't back out pussy! You are in this too deep! Cmon, toss some blows over sam's way.
Quote by Saint78

Quote by bradulator
Epicurus is cooler than Aristotle and Plato combined

So do any of you guys actually read what these philosophers have written, or are you just fans of name-dropping?

Edit: I'm genuinely asking. There's a lot of name-dropping in this thread, but not many posts that are more than one sentence long, giving the impression of shallow understanding.
Last edited by archangels at Apr 17, 2014,
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
Don't back out pussy! You are in this too deep! Cmon, toss some blows over sam's way.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Page 1 of 2