Ok so Im trying to buy a beginner acoustic guitar just for learning purposes and these two linked below are my options... not sure which one to get? I realize all cheap beginner guitars are nothing special but I figure if there was an obvious quality difference between the two you guys would know it and suggest one way or the other. Here are the two guitars:

Epiphone DR-100 :

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic/DR-100.aspx

Denver DDS4 :

http://denver-guitars.com/steel_string/dd44s/

Both are about $130. Thanks all in advance
if you can save a bit more, Yamaha's FG700S is light years ahead of those 2. solid top, comfortable neck, excellent build quality for the money. good tone. it'll keep you happy for a few years. might be able to find a used one on your local CL(or equivalent) for $130.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
if you can't afford the yamaha stepchildusmc suggests, i'd recommend the yamaha F335. it's one of the best all laminate guitars around.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
if you can't afford the yamaha stepchildusmc suggests, i'd recommend the yamaha F335. it's one of the best all laminate guitars around.

The F335 is great, but it's a laminated top. Solid top > laminated top. You won't get too good of a sound with a laminated. The F335 is around $160 I think. If you can go $200 I'd get a Yamaha FG700S. It's a solid top and arguably one of the best acoustic beginner guitars you can get.
try looking for a used fender acoustic. some are really good and have solid tops and good playing necks now
Thanks for the advice all. So the consensus is to get a better guitar, lol. I have lessons starting in a week so I may not be able to swing something better by then but Ill try. Looks like the Yamaha FG700S per you guys, Ill check it out.

If it has to be one of the ones I put links to above I guess Ill just go with what looks best asthmatically to me I suppose if there is no obvious quality differences.
Last edited by Guitarist_86 at Apr 17, 2014,
Quote by Guitarist_86
....[ ]....If it has to be one of the ones I put links to above I guess Ill just go with what looks best asthmatically to me I suppose if there is no obvious quality differences.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/asthmatically

I think you meant, "aesthetically". Good one though! You managed to fool Firefox's spell checker, by spelling the incorrect word correctly......!
If you can find a yamaha fg700ms, its a bit cheaper than the fg700s. The only difference is its a satin finsh rather than a gloss. In Canada the difference is around $20.

Have fun playing
if you have to choose from one of the 2 listed, i'd suggest the epi. it's not great sounding, but it is pretty functional as a rule. off brands like denver can prove to be disappointing (although i have never seen denver guitars in any of the many stores i've browsed).

btw, on sale days at gc and mf you can probably get the yamaha F335 for less than it's regular $159, and easter is this weekend. you don't mention what country you're in, but if you're in the u.s. you should be able to get pretty close on price to the epi.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
if you have to choose from one of the 2 listed, i'd suggest the epi. it's not great sounding, but it is pretty functional as a rule. off brands like denver can prove to be disappointing (although i have never seen denver guitars in any of the many stores i've browsed).

btw, on sale days at gc and mf you can probably get the yamaha F335 for less than it's regular $159, and easter is this weekend. you don't mention what country you're in, but if you're in the u.s. you should be able to get pretty close on price to the epi.

Why recommend him the F335 when the FG700S is clearly better?

Definitely check out the FG700S, TC. It's an awesome guitar and when I used to own it I had no bad experiences it. The action wasn't high and it had excellent sound and tuning stability for a $200 guitar.
budget. the guitars he listed are $100 guitars, so if he couldn't go $200 for the FG700, he might be able to go $160 for the F335, which will probably be even cheaper at GC and MF for their easter sale - i've definitely seen the F335 on sale in GC stores for a bunch of holiday sales.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by Granata
Why recommend him the F335 when the FG700S is clearly better?
You should kick up the other $40.00 to get him the FG-200, since it means that much to you.....
Quote by Captaincranky
You should kick up the other $40.00 to get him the FG-200, since it means that much to you.....

If I was on a tight budget i'd bump up the number to $40 for a much better guitar. Just saying.
Quote by Granata
If I was on a tight budget i'd bump up the number to $40 for a much better guitar. Just saying.
I wasn't commenting against the concept, just your slight lack of finesse in presenting it.

You have to consider that the $160.00 may already be too much.

Besides, Musician's Friend hasn't been that forthcoming recently, with their holiday percent off sales. They have been leaning toward savings on particular items. And it is somewhat iffy, if those "particular items", would necessarily include Yamaha guitars.

I believe there is a responsibility incumbent on forum members, to use good taste, tact, and judgement, when attempting to help spend another member's money.

I can't afford a Taylor T-5 12 string, but I do have 2 dynamite Crafter hybrid knockoffs. So, telling me I should wait, not play, and sit on my thumb saving for the Taylor, might elicit a very strong reaction from me. Jus' sayin'....

Or as a parable, "a laminate in the hand, is worth 2 imaginary solid tops in the bush".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 17, 2014,