Hey everyone,
So lately I've been thinking that I want to record myself playing guitar and also do some covers (like everyone does) but I have no idea what the best method to record myself is. I've tried plugging in my guitar to my amp and plugging the headphone out into the mic in on the laptop I'm using, and that didn't work because that gives terrible audio quality. So I'm thinking I'm going to need an audio interface, except I have no idea which one would be best. People are saying to record the audio and video at the same time, and then sync the two together when the audio is mixed so I guess that's the best way to do it, but My main questions are what is a good cheap interface, can I plug my amp into the laptop using an interface like the peavey xport, or behringer uca202? Or do I need to plug my guitar straight in?

Thanks
Last edited by GuitarHawk99 at Apr 16, 2014,
Thanks for the replies, I read it but it told a lot I already knew, but now my main question is, can I plug my guitar into my amp then my amp into an interface then into the laptop? Will the audio be good quality if I use my amp?
Quote by GuitarHawk99
Thanks for the replies, I read it but it told a lot I already knew, but now my main question is, can I plug my guitar into my amp then my amp into an interface then into the laptop? Will the audio be good quality if I use my amp?

not likely. but also quite possible. best bet is micing amp or using amp simulator imhumbleo
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Quote by GuitarHawk99
It depends on how you want to connect the amp to the interface.
I mean you can't just use the cab output, you'll fuse a fuse and/or burn the interface's input.

If the amp has an headphones output or something alike you can use that, though you'll still need some processing on the computer side to make it sound acceptable.

The solutions here are two:
1. you get a mic, a mic stand and a cable, and you learn to mic up a guitar amp and record it
2. you go down the simple road, plug the guitar into the interface and you use amp sims
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well the thing is that micing the amp isn't really an option for me, I don't want to turn up my amp very loud and I doubt it would sound clear through the mic if the amp was at very low volume. See when doing covers I want to use my pedals too including my wah and whammy and I obviously won't be able to use expression pedals on amp sim software, unless I plug my pedals into the interface. My amp is a vox vt40+ so it's a modeling amp with a tube I believe.. and it does have a headphone output, so could I link that to the interface? I'm thinking of the peavy xport because that comes with amp software if I decide to use it and better yet it comes with reaper. I guess I could link it up from amp to interface and use the amp software to fine tune my tone? However if I bought the xport could I use that for guitar and e drums? I'm guessing not but who knows
IIRC, the VT40+'s headphone output does include some kind of speaker emulation, so technically yes - going from that to the interface would give acceptable results.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Apr 17, 2014,
It'd still be better to use amp sims if ya ask me.
Guitar -> pedals -> interface -> computer -> whatever amp simulator -> whatever fx -> whatever cab simulator.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
It will be better to use amp sims. My guitarist used to do the headphone thing on his VT40+ until I showed him how to set up amp sims, then he immediately stopped using it for recording.
Try it. If your guitar sound sucks, go direct with amp sims instead.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by GuitarHawk99

Quite a few options there and the oldest one in the book and most likely best - mic the amp. It depens on the amp though...

You can take fx send out from the amp which will require some sims to make realistic, or headphone/di out which might have emulation already, and it might be a bad one at that.

You cal also take a device like the HK Redbox which captures signal right before the speaker and has two emulation options,
Hey guys I've got some more questions :P

So I've found three interfaces that look like they will do what I want, they are the:

M audio m track
Tascam us-122mkII
Tascam us-200

Will all of these work with 1/4 inch for guitar and also midi for recording e drums?
Will they all work with windows 7?
Are the midi jacks on the back of the unit for recording? Or for some other use?

Thanks
Last edited by GuitarHawk99 at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by GuitarHawk99
M audio m track
Tascam us-122mkII
Tascam us-200
The M track isn't good.
I've never head the tascam's but the us-200 specs look better.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
1. Will all of these work with 1/4 inch for guitar and also midi for recording e drums?
2. Will they all work with windows 7?
3. Are the midi jacks on the back of the unit for recording? Or for some other use?
1. yeah, sure
2. yeah. Would have took you that much to write "tascam us 200/us 122 mkII windows 7 drivers" and see what would have popped up though?
3. "midi jacks" are 5-pin DIN connectors.
Since you're at it, next time you look for a cable for that search for a 5-pin din cable instead of a midi cable, the prices get significantly lower.
Anyway, these connectors on the back are used to receive and send midi data, and if you send midi data to the interface you can record it through your daw.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
So why is the m track no good? It's just that it's considerably cheaper than the us-200 and it's easier to find for me

One more thing I forgot to ask, on some interfaces, it says they have 6 inputs and 6 outputs, but I don't see 6 jacks, what does this mean?
Last edited by GuitarHawk99 at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by GuitarHawk99
Hey guys I've got some more questions :P

So I've found three interfaces that look like they will do what I want, they are the:

M audio m track
Tascam us-122mkII
Tascam us-200

Will all of these work with 1/4 inch for guitar and also midi for recording e drums?
Will they all work with windows 7?
Are the midi jacks on the back of the unit for recording? Or for some other use?

Thanks

I'd imagine all that will be in the specs/descriptions on these cards?

I'd stay away from the M-Audio card - a friend had horrid latency on a brand new PC with that one.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
So why is the m track no good? It's just that it's considerably cheaper than the us-200 and it's easier to find for me
That's because it sounds considerably worse
Quote by GuitarHawk99
One more thing I forgot to ask, on some interfaces, it says they have 6 inputs and 6 outputs, but I don't see 6 jacks, what does this mean?
Not every input and output is a female jack or xlr connector.
You know, midi i/o, adat i/o, optical i/o...
Every reason for them to add numbers is a good reason to add numbers.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Sorry for the dumb questions guys :P

Not really following the input output stuff but that doesn't matter.
So I've also discovered the ROLAND UA-22 DUO CAPTURE EX and the steinberg ur22
(links below)

Although could you guys recommend something for less than $200? Because I'm open to suggestions

Thanks guys

http://www.roland.com/products/en/DUO-CAPTURE_EX/

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/ur22.html
The input output stuff means that you have, say, 6 inputs.
You only see two input jacks because these are two of the six.
The other four are, for example, the digital spdif input, the optical input, the rca stereo input and the midi input.
So, you do have six but you only care about two.

Steinberg stuff is good, yeah.
The roland is better.

Anyway, doesn't mackie onyx blackjack's go for less than a couple hundred bucks?
They do sound good indeed.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Ahh I had a feeling it was something like that thanks.

I'm just curious what specifications are you looking at that help you determine which of the two is better?

I looked up the onyx and yeah I can probably find one for less than $200 but it doesn't have midi and I want midi, thanks for the suggestion tho
For the sound, I'd still get the onyx blackjack plus a separate midi interface, though if you want everything to be in the same package, the smallest firewire saffire pro should do the job.

The specs I referred to (you can find them on the respective product pages) are the conversion resolution and the level ranges for the inputs.
The level ranges in particular look better on the us-200.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
So what makes the onyx blackjack so good? Just higher specs?

The FireWire saffire pro is more than $200 on the websites I looked on.. Btw is FireWire better than usb? Is the main difference that it is faster?

And also when looking at those stats you mentioned, is it basically bigger is better?
Last edited by GuitarHawk99 at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by GuitarHawk99
So what makes the onyx blackjack so good? Just higher specs?
Specs should be used to give you an idea of what to look for and what to listen too.
I've never looked at it's specs, 'cause I don't really need it - I heard it, and it sounds plain better.
I couldn't find something better sounding in that price range anyway.

Quote by GuitarHawk99
The FireWire saffire pro looks good, is FireWire better than usb? Is the main difference that it is faster?
I'm not even sure it's faster than USB 2.0 and it sure as hell is slower than USB 3.0, but the main technical advantage is that USB rely on the processor to make stuff, while firewire relies on chips in firewire cards.
The consequence to that is that even if your computer freezes the transfer still works, and parallel transfers work better.
Plus firewire can send a lot more current so the pres can work better.

The practical aspect of the thing instead is that in general, firewire interfaces work better because firewire used to work plain better than usb, so they put a firewire interface in the high end devices.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
And also when looking at those stats you mentioned, is it basically bigger is better?
Well it depends on the spec in particular.
Higher resolution is better, though it's not bad to have the possibility of lowering it.
High maximum input gain is better, low minimum input gain is better, and that's because that way you have a higher range of gain, meaning that you can either efficiently boost weak signals and not raising (or even trimming) a strong signal, so you don't overdrive the pre's or the converters.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Is the presonus a particularly good interface? It's just that I live in Australia and I am not sure if sweet water can ship to me, it's about $219 on an Australian site
Quote by GuitarHawk99
Is the presonus a particularly good interface?e
Nope.
Though if you can get it $120 it's pretty damn nice.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola