hi all! i have been playing guitar for around 8 years, altough last 3 i didnt play much due to college, but i think it is time for me to play more consistently from now on, that is why i am making plans to buy a good amp since mine sucks (roland cube-15). i can get some nice tones but only with my boss gt-10 however after some time it felt like the roland wasnt simply enough, it just sounded too much "artificial", i was thinking in getting a more versatile amp with some good high gain. with some big sacrifice my price range could be 1000€(1380$) but probably i will only be able to get 900€ (1245&euro.

i have looked to H&K tubemeister 18 and 36 but i heard they arent very good when it came to playing with a higher gain, i also looked to the EVH 5150III 50W and it looked quite impressive, the problem is that i am afraid i will be paying too much for something i wont be able to fully use it, after all i dont have a band nor i have intentions to play live (at least for now, we never know ), i dont live in a appartment but i think my ears wouldnt be able to handle all that sound .

plz keep in mind that i cant buy something used because i live in portugal and in here it gets very hard to find people who sell it for a good price, we also have few music shops that have lots of amps (i cant find any with the H&K in stock for example) so your help will really be apreciated oh and i really like to solo so it would be extremely important that the amp sounds good in that category also

EDIT
dont know if it is important but i own a ibanez s5470 (great guitar )
Last edited by jetfinger at Apr 16, 2014,
What kind of music do you play? And do you want a full or half stack or a combo?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
i dont think i will need a full stack, after all i am not playing live and even if i were i wouldnt really need 2 cabs. i was thinking in a half stack
If you're worried about sound you might wanna go with the lower wattage amps. Like you said a 50W or 60W. What kind of sound are you looking for?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
i play GnR, metallica, some avenged sevenfold, ac/dc, some system of adown, carlos santana... as you can see i like a really wide range of styles that was why i wanted a versatile amp with some good cleans, a good crunch sound and that could handle some high gain , it is quite dificult to describe what sound i like without earing it, it is better for you guys to just tell me some good qualilty and versatile amps that can do all these for a good price, as long as the sound of the amp feels that it has that "presence"...
oh and i said that 50W was probably too much for home use but still that is my opinion after all i never used a amp with that much power, what do you think?
Last edited by jetfinger at Apr 16, 2014,
The 5150 you're looking at is pretty good for everything you named. If you have a chance to try anything out give it a shot. I have also heard good things about the Laney Ironhearts.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
One of the bigger Jet Cities or a Marshall DSL sounds like it could be just want you need.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
i think i can try one EVH in the city were i am studying, i just hope they dont sell it soon. i belive the thing that will most likely decide what amp to get is the lead sound, after all the thing i most love in playing are the solos
the higher gain jet cities are really good if you like solos too and want to save some money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ty for the replies guys, really apreciate it. i think it will be a bit difficult to try the jet cities since i dont think most shops have them in stock but i will look into it...

now there is another thing that is troubling me, and that is the cab for the amp. lets say i buy the EVH 5150, now i dont know what cab to get, i have heard v30's speakers sound good with it but to be honest i dont really understant much about cabs, because there are the ones with v30's that cost 350-450$ and then the ones with the exact same v30's (at least i think they are the same, the name is ) that cost 700-800$. why is there such a big diference in price if the speakers are the same?
Last edited by jetfinger at Apr 17, 2014,
variety of reasons

the cab might be made better and/or made in a western country versus made in china (or similar) where wages are less

actually v30s can be different, mesa ones are different and marshall ones are too, i think.

brand name premium

import costs (e.g. with mesa in europe)

etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i see... do you have any idea of what the best cab (in the range of 450-550$) would be for the EVH? mesa are too expensive i belive
i haven't tried the evh

that's a pretty wide range of tones you want there- which are more important?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i dont think it is necessary 4x12 cabs, they are too heavy and cost more... maybe 2x12 is a good idea.
to me the most important is the quality of the gain when you crank it up. that was the reason i was thinking in getting the EVH, versatile but killer with the solos and metal riffs
I think you could easily go to used cabs, my friends that owned the 5150 got Mesa and 1960a cabs for around $400-$500 used. The Marshall was ratty looking but sounded godly

Maybe look into the Carvin V3 or Vai line for cabs.
If you're in the US, Avatar is the go for a good cab at a nice price.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I say look into a Marshall or jet city the 6505 sucks at anything that is not van Halen or or a core subgenre. I say jet city or Marshall.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Who mentioned a 6505? We are talking 5150 III. Whole different amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.