I need a guitar amp with a LOT of good headroom. I don't care much about effects as I have pedals, which are the only sounds I need. I've been checking out a couple of amps from quick research and video reviews, and I found these to be pretty nice.

Rocktron V160R Vendetta 160w 2x12
Line 6 Spider IV 150 2x12" 150-Watt
Fender Mustang III/IV

Any amps besides these for suggestions would be great. Preferably any amp under $300 or so, as long as the headroom on that thing is amazing.

(I used an Ampeg BA-115SP as a guitar amp for a while (as my amp is a small practice amp) and it had incredible headroom, and great sound at maximum volume, for those interested in this.)

*SOLID STATE, NO TUBE AMPS
Last edited by King-David at Apr 17, 2014,
Obviously you want a Roland JC120.

Edit: though you'll need to spend a pinch more. The jc60 can be had under budget
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 17, 2014,
Well, the correct answer is Fender Twin or HiWatt but as you don't want a tube amp for some reason; Roland JC120 or JC60. The big Roland Cubes are good too.
The Peavey Stereo Chorus is pretty good as well. They come up used cheap a lot. They were basically Peavey's competion for the JC120.
The old Peavey Bandits are ok if you just use the clean channel too.

And whatever you do - not the Spider.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
music man, 130 watts with an all tube power section and a SS preamp section. you will get deaf before you drive 130 watts to tube distortion.

JC120 amazing amps (however i prefer the music man) the chorus on the older ones is great.

fender twin reverb - everybody seems to use one at one point of life.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard
Well, the correct answer is Fender Twin or HiWatt but as you don't want a tube amp for some reason; Roland JC120 or JC60. The big Roland Cubes are good too.
The Peavey Stereo Chorus is pretty good as well. They come up used cheap a lot. They were basically Peavey's competion for the JC120.
The old Peavey Bandits are ok if you just use the clean channel too.

And whatever you do - not the Spider.

Why not? Cons?
^ well it doesn't seem to take pedals well, nor does it seem to sound well in any particular situation.

Does it really have to be a guitar amp?
I'd get an Alesis MicTube solo together with the biggest amp I could find for the money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Try the Roland Cube 80XL. Lots of headroom, and its clean channel is based on the JC's clean channel.

But try your pedals through it before buying, in my experience not all pedals sound good through the Roland Cube. It really depends on the specific pedal.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by lucky1978
Obviously you want a Roland JC120.

Edit: though you'll need to spend a pinch more. The jc60 can be had under budget

You want solid state, these two are your best options.
And I will repeat what Cathbard said...
No on the Spider.
The Roland Cube's JC120 model is actually pretty awesome. So if you're on a budget, go with that.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by King-David
Why not? Cons?
It's all cons, it has no pros.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
"lots of headroom" is secret guitar code for LOUD AS HELL!

Roland JC 120 is the cat's meow for clean headroom.

RE: The Spider. I'm sure Larry Carlton or Albert Lee have enough talent to find decent tone through a Spider but the rest of us mortals... not so much. Most guitarists just sound awful through them.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Why don't you want tube?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Solid state, as I don't have to tend to it as much as a tube.

I've heard good things about Fender Twins and Mustangs.
How are Fenders vs. Rolands?
Quote by King-David
Solid state, as I don't have to tend to it as much as a tube.

I've heard good things about Fender Twins and Mustangs.
How are Fenders vs. Rolands?

changing power amp tubes every 3+ years (some times 20). preamp tubes will last longer than the power tubes, sometimes 20 years.*

not wanting tubes because they are bothersome is stupid.

that is like you don't want a TV because you have to plug it into a wall. and the TV could start on fire

*shit always can happen making less or more. there are ways you can prolong their life or the opposite
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I still prefer solid state. And tube amps are ancient, basically, compared to solids.
Quote by King-David
I still prefer solid state. And tube amps are ancient, basically, compared to solids.

then buy a JC120
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by King-David
How would it handle pedals? Like a bit of overdrive, reverb, delay.

it is a great pedal platform

You can find a used Flextone II head cheap, and they are 100 or 150 watts per channel (x2) and they have a decent FX loop
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sounds good, I'll check it out at some nearby music store, and most likely pick up the amp and maybe head too.
Quote by King-David

Well, with that statement you might as well buy a class D power amp cause A and A/B designs are stupid, might as well not have to carry all that weight. Might as well get a Stomphead:
http://www.taurus-amp.pl/guitar.html
Quote by King-David

What a strange argument. You need to keep in mind that despite being a more modern technology solid state is only finally finally catch up in terms of sound quality. Think the AxeFX2 and the Kemper and they are VERY expensive. Everything else? Still crap. You have to also keep in mind that *ALL* solid state amps are modeling tube amps.

However the posters here are correct. JC120 is the answer. Or a Labseries L5 if you can find one. Personally I've yet to hear a solid state amp that can take overdrive/dist/fuzz/boost pedals well. You generally end up with an ugly fizzy hard sound. They do take modulation type effects well though.
Quote by icronic
What a strange argument. You need to keep in mind that despite being a more modern technology solid state is only finally finally catch up in terms of sound quality. Think the AxeFX2 and the Kemper and they are VERY expensive. Everything else? Still crap. You have to also keep in mind that *ALL* solid state amps are modeling tube amps.

However the posters here are correct. JC120 is the answer. Or a Labseries L5 if you can find one. Personally I've yet to hear a solid state amp that can take overdrive/dist/fuzz/boost pedals well. You generally end up with an ugly fizzy hard sound. They do take modulation type effects well though.

that is always something i thought was an irony.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by King-David

I haven't given out one of these for a long time but you've earned it with that statement.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You shouldn't rule out tubes... But if you must then Roland JC or Peavey Stereo Chorus are your best options.

Spiders are junk, and even worse if you want to use pedals. Don't tell me I haven't spent enough time with them either, I have.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I honestly could care less what everyone says, I don't want a tube. I'll take the JC120, thank you.
Makes thread but doesn't care for advice.

K. Enjoy your solid state.

It's not bad, but the only one holding you back is you, sir.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Makes thread but doesn't care for advice.

K. Enjoy your solid state.

It's not bad, but the only one holding you back is you, sir.

one more thing, is that with some SS amps taking them into the shop will likely cost more if something is messed up. tube amps are much easier to repair and mod. SS typically not seeing where it is wrong.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by King-David
I honestly could care less what everyone says, I don't want a tube. I'll take the JC120, thank you.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i dont' care about it i don't want a tube
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by King-David

Didn't pretty much everyone say jc120?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Didn't pretty much everyone say jc120?

Yes, that's what makes the pouting so funny.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by King-David

That's perfectly fine. But from the sound of it your distaste of tubes comes from the fact that you don't actually understand either tube or solid state amps.

The simple fact is people will steer you towards a tube amp because every great guitar tone you've ever heard either recorded or live came from a tube amp. As I mentioned earlier that's slowly starting to change with the AxeFX and Kemper, but they're hugely expensive -a full rig for either can cost anywhere from $3000-$6000 depending on your needs.

Still, you want solid state and that's fine. It's your choice to make. In the end it's you who needs to be happy with the tone you've got. I do strongly suggest that you test your pedals out and make sure you like the way they sound. I find that an overdrive through a JC120 incredibly harsh and unpleasant.
"I honestly could care less what everyone says..."

Hmmm, I though you came here seeking opinions from others with more experience.

Recommendation:
Buy a Spider. Every guitarist needs to experience a truly toneless amp in their lifetime. You run through all your favorite jams at every volume and every amp voice only to realize "Wow, this thing is just really awful."

Then buy a proper tube guitar amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
"I honestly could care less what everyone says..."

Hmmm, I though you came here seeking opinions from others with more experience.

Recommendation:
Buy a Spider. Every guitarist needs to experience a truly toneless amp in their lifetime. You run through all your favorite jams at every volume and every amp voice only to realize "Wow, this thing is just really awful."

Then buy a proper tube guitar amp.

Not a bad idea, only they need to make sure they buy it used, for the cheapest price possible..there will be enough in the used market, and definitely people desperate to get rid of it