i'm playing a marshall JVM 50 watt
so i experience a loss of gain. like when you roll the volume knob back on the guitar. i noticed no loss of actual volume on the amp and when i checked the tubes, they're all still glowing orange.
i know it's not the guitar or cable causing the problem.

so the question is, should i replace the tubes or is it another problem?
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
When you roll the volume back on the guitar it wont drop the volume for a long time.

When you roll back the volume you will drop the out put to the pre amp rather than the power amp.

This means that if you are playing the amp with the amp over driving the pre-amp when you roll back the volume all you will be doing is dropping the output to the preamp which will just clean up the sound rather than reduce the volume.

Im sure someone else will be able to explain this in a much better way.

But effectively there is nothing wrong with your tubes or your guitar. if you want to drop the volume levels of your amplifier i would suggest the best way would be to whack a volume pedal in the FX loop to control the input to the power amp.

Cheers
no no i mean the sound i get from the amp is the same sound as i would get if i should roll my volume knob back. however the volume knob of my guitar is at 10.

sorry my explanation in the OP was abit odd
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
Last edited by lt mittens at Apr 17, 2014,