Poll: Que?
Poll Options
View poll results: Que?
He should serve the full 13 years
9 13%
His sentence should be commuted (specify duration)
18 26%
He should serve 0 years
41 60%
Voters: 68.
Page 1 of 2
http://news.yahoo.com/armed-robber-never-told-report-prison-195146743.html

Summary: 23 year old guy commits armed robbery in 2000 and is sentenced to 13 years in jail. Due to a clerical error, they never actually took him to jail. Because he was supposed to be released fairly recently, they realized their error and sent in a SWAT team to arrest him.

But the guy had built a reputable life for himself. 4 kids, a wife, small businesses, regular church-goer, etc. He never left the area, didn't try to hide or anything.

So do you think he should serve his sentence?

My thoughts: Apart from the regular ol' rehabilitation vs. punishment debate, which is a bit stale, there are a few issues at hand here. It would've been a lot better for him to serve a sentence as a younger person. And once he got out at the age of 36/37, he'd have been able to start fresh. But now, if he serves the sentence, he'll get out at age 50. It's a lot more difficult to start your life over from 50 than 37, and while it's certainly his fault that he got a prison sentence to begin with, it's not his fault that they never took him to jail.

Which means that the sentence is now a lot more devastating than it was before. 13 years to one person is not necessarily equal to 13 years for a different person. Not to mention that had his sentencing occurred recently, the verdict probably would've been more lax.
bastard should hang
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
He shouldn't be let off the hook. I think some amount of community service would be more reasonable.
If they threw him in, it would ruin the family he built in that time. More negatives than positives there.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
He shouldn't be let off the hook. I think some amount of community service would be more reasonable.

we talking years of community service? or months?
You'd think in the 13 years after he was sentenced to time in jail he would have asked why that hasn't happened yet.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
You'd think in the 13 years after he was sentenced to time in jail he would have asked why that hasn't happened yet.

"Hey teacher, weren't we supposed to have a quiz today?"
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by progdude93
we talking years of community service? or months?

Some amount determined by the courts. I think the ideal amount in this case would be less than 5 years but more than 1.

Isn't there some statute of limitations on this?
^he was already convicted, so the SoL doesn't apply.

although a different SoL does apply, because he's definitely shit outta luck

Quote by FireFromTheVoid

when you're sentenced, there can be some down time before you're arrested. his lawyer just told him to wait until they told him to report to prison. i'm sure he was waiting for a while, but at a certain point, he probably assumed they wouldn't arrest him
But I assume even like a year would be unusual you'd have to know something went wrong after 13. I do think it should be reduced at this point though.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

yeah, it would seem super unusual. apparently it's not weird for there to be a decent amount of time between sentencing and incarceration in areas with more crime, but when you've got a real life to deal with and it's already been a few years, i'm sure it wouldn't stay on your mind
Considering they've already got the best case of good reform and he now seems to be a great member of his community they should prob just pardon him or something
Quote by Extra Ordinary
If they threw him in, it would ruin the family he built in that time. More negatives than positives there.

yeah, definitely think maybe something should be done, but not prison. gov't won't give a shit though.
Logically he should serve nothing at this point. He's not a threat to anything and doesn't need rehabilitation and prisons are overcrowded as it is. It would take some truly evil people in charge not to commute this sentence.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Extra Ordinary

I voted the second option but agree with this just make him serve a x hours community service instead of throwing him in jail.
If it's been 13 years and that's how his life has turned out he sounds pretty rehabilitated to me. He's almost 40 years old. I'd imagine if he was going to still commit crimes he'd have been doing it knowing he might get away with it. But then again I've never met the man

/edit. Like everyone else mentioned I'd be fine with some kind of community service. I'm sure the guy would be too.
Last edited by Wormholes at Apr 17, 2014,
I'm really on the fence about this one.

He was convicted and was supposed to be in prison for 13 years (minus whatever for good behavior etc.).
He never served that time.
But its not his fault.
The government fvcked up.

Should he have to serve the 13 years for the crime he was convicted for? YES.
Should he be made to serve time because the government fvcked up? NO.

The guy turned his life around.
If the purpose of doing time is for rehabilitation, then I think that that objective was achieved.
As for the punishment part of doing time goes, this guy was probably very stressed out while waiting for the ride that never came.
Mentally, he was in his own little prison.

And with that, I'm no longer on the fence about it.
I think he should be allowed to move on with his life.
Quote by CodeMonk

As for the punishment part of doing time goes, this guy was probably very stressed out while waiting for the ride that never came.
Mentally, he was in his own little prison.

And with that, I'm no longer on the fence about it.
I think he should be allowed to move on with his life.

I agree with this.

It's like when you know someone's going to punch you back, but at least 5 times worse.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
13 years for a minor robbery using a BB gun seems a bit much. Since he's clearly alright now, just give him a fine or a minor community service thing or something.
I have nothing important to say
All he should have to do is community service. There's nothing to gain anymore by putting him in prison, and quite frankly, he shouldn't suffer because of their **** up.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
If he's genuinely turned his life around and isn't a threat to anyone, he shouldn't have to serve the sentence. I'd be fine letting him off completely free too, I don't see why community service would be necessary. Rehabilitation should always be the goal when it comes to dealing with criminals, and if he managed to get his shit together without serving time then good for him. At this point sending him to prison would be vengeance, not justice.
Just keep him under conditional parole for a bit. Supervise him for 3 years, realise that he's an upstanding citizen paying the taxes that fund the lives of those who are serving time, and then **** off and catch some real criminals.
The courts can press charges for wasting the judges time, it should be allowed the other way around too.
He's not a danger to anyone else, and he found proper reform. What would be the point in putting him in jail, other than revenge?

Shit, the fact that they arrested him now is downright cruel and harmful. He probably lost whatever job he had. He shouldn't have to serve any sentence. At most he could be on parole, if only to satisfy authorities.
Why didn't he take reasonable steps to find out why he wasn't being sentenced? If he had won 200 million in the lottery do you think he'd just wait around for 13 years without making a single inquiry?
Quote by MegadethFan18
Why didn't he take reasonable steps to find out why he wasn't being sentenced? If he had won 200 million in the lottery do you think he'd just wait around for 13 years without making a single inquiry?

Um, getting 13 years in jail is not winning the lottery. Winning 200 million is good. Going to jail is bad.
Quote by Cardbored
Um, getting 13 years in jail is not winning the lottery. Winning 200 million is good. Going to jail is bad.

No shit.
He'd already been sentenced. He was awaiting incarceration. His lawyer told him it can take a while. What was he supposed to do, call them?

"Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be in jail right now."

Sounds like an awful idea..
If he's learned his lesson, I see no reason to shove him in jail. Jail should be about rehabilitating people, not punishing them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 17, 2014,
It would be really dumb if they just threw him in jail for 13 years. He's clearly rehabilitated himself. No use to let him off the hook, just sentence him to a ton of community service. He's a productive member of society. The whole point of sending people to jail is to remove threats to society from society rather than the whole punishment deal. Punish him by forcing him to do lots of good deeds that help improve the community.
The government is the one that messed up here. I can't tolerate the idea that the government can just screw things up like this and then act as it if has never happened (in this case, to throw the guy in jaw 13 years later). He should get no jail time.

Armed robbery isn't even that big a deal I've been mugging people since I was 12 years old.
Quote by progdude93
^he was already convicted, so the SoL doesn't apply.

although a different SoL does apply, because he's definitely shit outta luck

when you're sentenced, there can be some down time before you're arrested. his lawyer just told him to wait until they told him to report to prison. i'm sure he was waiting for a while, but at a certain point, he probably assumed they wouldn't arrest him

Can't believe no one else has noticed this piece of genius.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by MegadethFan18
No shit.

Just making sure you understand, because before it seemed like you didn't know that winning 200 million was good and going to jail was bad. You want to tell somebody they owe you 200 million for winning a lottery. You don't want to tell somebody that you're supposed to go to jail for 13 years.
Community service. He doesn't deserve to get off 100%. It was a serious crime he committed. I don't care if it was a BB gun, it looked real to anyone involved at the time. Props to him for getting himself straightened out though. No need to take him away from his job and family at this point.
Couple months of community service
Jail now would just be making an example of him
this house is bitchin
It wasn't even a real armed robbery, it was a BB gun. The original sentence was unfair to begin with, the gov ****ed up, and he's not a criminal any more. No time. There's no valid reason for him to have to serve any time.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
He hasn't done anything wrong since his conviction, but the courts definitely have. They screwed up, move on and get it right next time, leave the poor bastard alone.
The system failed, hardly newsworthy. Meanwhile the guy has become a contributing member of society, which is about all you can look for in situations like these. His time would not be best served in jail.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Probably alter his sentence in some way. Like house arrest, probation, and community service. Maybe a small amount of jail time.

He never went in and said "what about that jail thing?" which makes sense (cuz why would you want to go to jail if you escaped if), but that also doesn't show that he's taken responsibilty for what he did.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2