What would be a reasonably priced pair of monitors that I can use for things like Jam-up and amplitube? I don't need anything crazy, just something that will sound great and won't break the bank
Quote by andrerist
I don't need anything crazy, just something that will sound great and won't break the bank
Come on man, you're going to the greengrocer and asking the man at the counter to give you his best watermelon for 3 bucks.
That's not going to work out for one of you two.

Anyway you probably want a pair of decent speakers instead of monitors.
Monitors should have a flat frequency response but people aren't used to listening to stuff on really flat frequency response things, so it'll likely be a bit weird.

If you didn't want to mix stuff I'd get a KRK toolkit set.
Not really good as monitors but they're said to sound good.

If you really want monitors instead, a yamaha HS8 or a mackie rm8 mkIII pair would do.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Come on man, you're going to the greengrocer and asking the man at the counter to give you his best watermelon for 3 bucks.
That's not going to work out for one of you two.

Anyway you probably want a pair of decent speakers instead of monitors.
Monitors should have a flat frequency response but people aren't used to listening to stuff on really flat frequency response things, so it'll likely be a bit weird.

If you didn't want to mix stuff I'd get a KRK toolkit set.
Not really good as monitors but they're said to sound good.

If you really want monitors instead, a yamaha HS8 or a mackie rm8 mkIII pair would do.

I'm just looking for what would be best of what I'm looking to do with them. I didn't ask for the best thing in the world but I don't want complete shit either. I have a pair of Shure in ears that I use with the apps and what not but I also want something I can use when I don't want to wear headphones.

So speakers, monitors, whatever is best suited for what I want to use them for. I'm asking because I don't really know. And I said I didn't want to break the bank, that doesn't mean i'm not willing to pay for something if it's really worth the money.
Quote by andrerist
What would be a reasonably priced pair of monitors that I can use for things like Jam-up and amplitube? I don't need anything crazy, just something that will sound great and won't break the bank

I think you need to be a bit clearer about "sound great and won't break the bank."

For me that was a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. Current model (as of a few months ago) is the Gen 3. I bought a new pair of Gen 2's for near half what the current model is going for (they're still out there). The difference was 10W of power apiece (80W vs. 90W) and an additional pot on the back of the speaker.

These particular KRKs have enough bass that I really don't have to use an additional subwoofer for most things, enough volume for a relatively small/enclosed space, and they'll work with a LOT of different inputs (iPhone, iPod, etc.). There are recording monitors that are perhaps better optimized for the really serious recording professional, but these are more than adequate for most work. I use them to reproduce Line 6 Pod XT and HD stuff, as well as keyboards and output from computers and the TV.
Quote by dspellman
I think you need to be a bit clearer about "sound great and won't break the bank."

For me that was a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. Current model (as of a few months ago) is the Gen 3. I bought a new pair of Gen 2's for near half what the current model is going for (they're still out there). The difference was 10W of power apiece (80W vs. 90W) and an additional pot on the back of the speaker.

These particular KRKs have enough bass that I really don't have to use an additional subwoofer for most things, enough volume for a relatively small/enclosed space, and they'll work with a LOT of different inputs (iPhone, iPod, etc.). There are recording monitors that are perhaps better optimized for the really serious recording professional, but these are more than adequate for most work. I use them to reproduce Line 6 Pod XT and HD stuff, as well as keyboards and output from computers and the TV.

may be a stupid question, but when purchasing these (just looking at them on guitar center.com,) Does the price ($250) for the rokit 8's include a single speaker or is it a pair?
Usually it is single and not a pair. So always double the price you see for simplicity.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by diabolical
For me Alesis Monitor 1 MkII was in that price range. A buddy got M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 and they weren't bad for his small drum booth-sized control room.

+1 I got a set of these recently and they're monstrous. Blew any KRK's I heard out of the water.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"