Hey guys --

Lately I've been thinking about selling my TS-9 and replacing it with an asymmetrical clipping OD like the Boss SD-1 or MXR Modified Badass OD (M77, I believe).

Looking at ebay prices, it seems that I'd probably be able to sell mine and buy another one without dropping any money.

I don't really have any complaints about the TS-9, (should mention I only use it as a boost for my 6505+), though I'd like to explore what an asymmetrical clipping OD could do for my tone. I'm aware that it probably wouldn't be too much different, though I've heard that it could provide a little more "grit" which would be fine for my playing/music style which is "deathened" black metal. Would this be a good move for me? Or will I end up going back to a TS-9?

I'm kind of just hoping to get something a bit different, not necessarily better. If you have any experience with either of the mentioned pedals used as a boost for high-gain applications, your advice would be much appreciated.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Why not just pick up an sd1 and have both? They sound pretty good stacked. Both are quite cheap and easily had. The sd1 is a lil crispier and nastier sounding but more noise and not as tight. Both are great pedals and good to have imo.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^ yeah the sd1 (or the even cheaper daphon clone) is cheap enough that if i wasn't sure i'd probably pick it up as well. i like both for slightly different things.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^The problem is, money is so scarce I really have to sell one to get the other. I'd lean toward the MXR because I've heard it's less noisy than the SD-1 but I'd be interested in some other opinions. Would the MXR be in the same category has the SD-1 or is it different?

I have toyed with selling my NS-2, but I think I'd miss it in recording situations. Otherwise, the noise doesn't really bother me when playing live. It sucks having no money/having to fund new purchases through the sale of old gear....
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I have an SD1 though I modded it to symmetrical after 6 years.

You have a nice upper middish honk, but the main problem I found was that it made the sound a bit too focused and box like.

I know OD's cut bass when used this way, but adding this mid spike made it sound like it had even less low end.

I like it for riffs however, better than in it's current symmetrical state, but it now just creates a far more natural balanced EQ.

I'd say it's mainly the attack that changes.

In a band situation it doesn't matter much, but the guitar on it's own in the symmetrical circuit just sounds more balanced.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Apr 18, 2014,
I'm a big advocate of the MXR M77 for an asymetrical option.

I do not recommend the SD-1. It's a noisy little shit.

I could have sworn there was a TS clone with a clipping type switch, but I've been looking for like a week and I cannot for the life of me find it. That's what I want.

Maybe I'm just thinking of the Fulldrive 2, but... I don't think so.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 18, 2014,
Thanks for the responses! I think I might go for an M77. If anything, if it's not right for me I can probably go back to a ts9 and my wallet will be none the wiser.

One more thing, and I know I didn't mention this earlier -- but how would the m77 sound for lighter to mid-gain overdrive? (My ts9 sounds like crap for that, in my opinion). Though I'm primarily an extreme metal player, I grew up playing blues and classic rock as well -- I wouldn't mind having some of those tones at my disposal again.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 18, 2014,
Quote by KailM
^^The problem is, money is so scarce I really have to sell one to get the other. I'd lean toward the MXR because I've heard it's less noisy than the SD-1 but I'd be interested in some other opinions. Would the MXR be in the same category has the SD-1 or is it different?

I think the mxr's circuit is similar to the sd1, it's a glorified sd1, but i haven't tried it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?