I just wanted to see what people use for strings and picks. I use the tortex 1.14 picks and for strings I use Ernie Ball hybrid Slinky Custom Gauge with 9 and 46 being the high and low.
Depends on the guitar
But my go to pick is the .60 Tortex wedge for just about everything
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've tried every string brand and Ernie ball are personally my favorite. As for picks I go back and forth between the green Dunlop Tortex and EVH picks. I've tried jazz picks but they're just too small /:
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
Of all I used, Rotosound yellows have my vote. They feel no different from Ernie Balls, yet last longer and they include an extra 1st string.

I use an array of picks. They're as follow:
1)Planet Waves 1.00mm
2)Dunlop Tortex 1.00mm
3)Dunlop Tortex 0.88MM
4)Ernie Ball Medium
5)Dunlop Jazz III
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
For my 6 strings I use EB Skinny Tops Heavy Bottoms. For the 7 it's Regular Slinkie 7 String set. All of my picks are Ice Pix Stainless Steel picks but I have two custom cut (be me) to be the same shape as Dunlop Pitch Black picks except a tad bigger. For precise proggy stuff I use the cut picks as I call them and for not as precise rhythm stuff I use the uncut ones.

I also want a clever name for my stainless steel Pitch Blacks, any suggestions? Shred IIIs? Pitch Black Ice?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Dunlop .73 Ultex Sharps
D'Addario electric strings, I use different gauges on different guitars.
Elixers on my acoustic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
strings? hard to say. really a new set of the same material is all really the same to me. but if i had to choose, ball for a go to standard and perhaps Boomers or daddario XLs maybe? i dunno.

pick? im fairly committed to the DAVA jazz picks
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Depends on what I'm playing for the pick.

The thicker the pick, the more chunk and thump will be in the attack. And the spongier the material, the more rounded the highs are in your pick attack. As a standard that I just carry everywhere, I carry the Petrucci jazz picks because they are the perfect size. The size is midway between a normal and a jazz.

As for strings, I like GHS and D'Addario, I stopped using Ernie Ballsack because every pack I've opened has had visible corrosion on the strings.

I like to practice on 8s because I feel its a bit harder to play. It makes you play very accurately and technically, especially in combo with a small pick like the jazz. Otherwise, I just throw 10s on it.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Recently fallen in love with the Dunlop Jazz III.

My favorite strings are D'Addario sets with a wound G.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
i like blue ones the best. sometimes red or orange. some green. they are plastic feeling to them.

seriously what matters? i bought a gross of these blue D'addario thickerish picks that were closed out on MF for like $6 for all of them. they were cheap, lasted 10 years and i have maybe four or five left. lasted well. i wish i would have gotted two gross.

however at my house there may be a pack of carbon fiber jazzIII's in the dropbox out back where packages go.

strings i use d'addario jazz/blues .11's on everything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
however at my house there may be a pack of carbon fiber jazzIII's in the dropbox out back where packages go.

-grabby hands-

For a guy that is super happy with his guitars and amp that cost a pretty penny, I'm seriously lacking in the pick department.

I'm always lacking in the cheapest things in this hobby of mine.....
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
-grabby hands-

For a guy that is super happy with his guitars and amp that cost a pretty penny, I'm seriously lacking in the pick department.

I'm always lacking in the cheapest things in this hobby of mine.....

i hate buying picks and strings and tubes, i hate maintenance costs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Lol, buying picks. I haven't bought picks since 2008.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Yo, me too... Thankfully I at least have a pair of backup JJ 6L6s... No preamp tube backups... ...

-high five-

I'm so lazy. I wipe my strings down with a sock after I'm done playing to get all the gunk from building up on them. Months later, the thinner strings have yet to turn black from the oxidization.

I'm afraid to touch my friends cheap Ibanez guitar. Both the strings and the body are covered in this gunk that makes me wanna vomit. They tell me it isn't a big deal and I should shut up about it, but I don't think they realize all of that dirt is dead skin that is glued on from sweat...

TAKE CARE OF YOUR GUITAR, PEOPLE!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Yo, me too... Thankfully I at least have a pair of backup JJ 6L6s... No preamp tube backups... ...

-high five-

I'm so lazy. I wipe my strings down with a sock after I'm done playing to get all the gunk from building up on them. Months later, the thinner strings have yet to turn black from the oxidization.

I'm afraid to touch my friends cheap Ibanez guitar. Both the strings and the body are covered in this gunk that makes me wanna vomit. They tell me it isn't a big deal and I should shut up about it, but I don't think they realize all of that dirt is dead skin that is glued on from sweat...

TAKE CARE OF YOUR GUITAR, PEOPLE!

i have one quad of JJ kT88 (ouch) quad of el84; (i mainly use them on the orange dual teror or the 18w i built.

wouldn't surprise me if i had 30 random preamp tubes (new amps get new JJ's if they are worth keeping) that i have pulled. probably four 12at7's

but i got a TON of free strings from d'addario (thier company bigwig) i had two bad packs out of two bad batches (two 10 packs). i got 20 free sets, plus a "balanced .11 set" and it was all here the second day. just that they listen makes me trustful or the brand. they won a customer for life.

all of my guitars are CLEAN though, but strings last a long time with me. pretty much spring and fall i restring and re-setup both times and havn't had a problem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Wh..... you're a lot better off than I am. Holy ****.

I'm just gonna sit back here in this dark corner now.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Dunlop Strings 10-46
For picks, I use Dunlop Ultex Sharp .90, Dunlop Tortex Green as sort of a backup or those rare moments when I want a different feel, and really light Daisy Rock picks (got like 30 for free at an album release party) for pure strumming.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Ernie Ball regular slinkies, Dunlop "Gator Grip" 1.14 picks, size 9 1/2 (us) shoes. 10 if there New Balance brand for some reason.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Strings - Ernie Ball... dunno what type yellow package 10s

pics - ~0.7 for acoustic ~1.0 electric.
Strings: Elixir Polywebs. I never have to replace them. unless they break. I haven't broken one yet though. Since they are only available in 10-46 and 9-42 gauges I always go with 10-46.
Picks: Dunlop Jazz III XLs. Red ones. Initially I chose the red ones because they would be easier to find when dropped in most places, but apparently there's a difference in the texture of the plastic too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Strings: Elixir Polywebs. I never have to replace them. unless they break. I haven't broken one yet though. Since they are only available in 10-46 and 9-42 gauges I always go with 10-46.
Picks: Dunlop Jazz III XLs. Red ones. Initially I chose the red ones because they would be easier to find when dropped in most places, but apparently there's a difference in the texture of the plastic too.

The red ones look cooler, too
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
dunlop nylon 1mm,
ernie ball extra slinky cobalt (8-38) coz my hands are weaker than a baby's
and the cobalt ones just seem to rust a bit slower than normal
D'Addario XL nickel wound or pure nickel, usually 9s or 10s.

For picks, I generally use Tortex 0.73.
Hi, I'm Peter
I use Ultex sharps. .73, I think.
For strings, I use all D'Addario.
12-60 on my Les Paul (drop B)
10-46 on my Framus (standard)
And I dunno what gauge on my acoustics. The light ones. Blue packet.
[404]Signature not found
Last edited by jmaguire at Apr 18, 2014,
I just tried some EB R&Rs (10-46) today and they're really great for taming my bright guitars. I'm sticking to pure nickel strings from now on. I've seen the light. As for picks, Dunlop Big Stubbies (2mm and 1mm) are my favorite but I'll dabble with Max Grip Jazz IIIs (Carbon Fiber).
I like Jazz shaped picks.

I hate strings, I wear them out too fast, they loose the new sound after just a few hours of playing and start changing colour. Even though I always wipe them after playing

String gauge I use is 10 - 52, I've been buying regular D'addario until recently I've decided to try D'addario Coated strings which are supposed last longer. I put them on my guitar a week ago. String don't sound new anymore at all, and first three strings are starting to get a gold colour (I expect they will become black soon).

Who makes the most durable strings? Is there someone who can give me advice?
For picks I use V-picks - Screamer, they're 2.75mm and stick to your hand. Allow me to play faster and have a great bright sound.
For strings: ernie ball power slinky (purple packaging).
Elixir Nanoweb Light for standard tuning, Elixir Nanoweb Light-Heavy for Drop D or Drop C# and Elixir Nanoweb 7-String Light for my 7 in Drop A.

Dunlop Jazz III Max Grip for everything.
I use:

D'addario 9-42 XL strings on my Ibanez guitar tuned to E standard.
Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 on my VGS Screech tuned to D standard.

Pretty much exclusively use stubby-style picks - Dunlop Stubby 2mm is my favourite, followed by 1mm stubby and Jazz III.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I always use GHS Boomers, mostly because I live about an hour away from Battle Creek where they're based out of and I like to tell myself that matters lol. For picks, I stick with those blue Dunlop Tortex 1.0 mm.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I can't use anything but the Jazz III Max Grips or my fingernails. After seeing flamenco and classical players using their fingernails a few years ago I grew out the nails on my right hand a little to see what it was like and loved the sound of it. Now I use my nails most of the time, except when playing something that has a lot of tremolo picking or galloping, in which case I have to use the Jazz III Max Grips.

For strings, I used Ernie Ball 9's for the first couple of years I played, then switched to the basic D'addario 10s for several years, but recently switched to Sinister Strings 11-58 for my 7-string and I really like them. Last time I changed strings on my acoustic I got some D'Addario EXP26 Coated Phosphor Bronze Custom Light which are 11-52.