Hello all, I'm going to be getting a KILLER deal on an 18"x14" Tama Silverstar "Jazz" Bass drum... I'm a beginner and i'm thinking of moving on to another set but buying the separate pieces at separate times.. I mainly play metal and hard rock. Is that a good size for those genres or no? Thanks!
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
An 18" really is a jazz size. It'll be punchy, but it won't tune low at all and will more than likely be too quiet for metal. You may just about get away with a 20", but ideally you'd want 22" diameter or above for metal and hard rock
Nope. Way too small for metal. If it was 14" wide, you could cut it in half and make a sweet snare or two with it, though....
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well that makes me sad lol alright.
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
I remember the guy out of 36 CrazyFists used an 18" bass drum which sounded pretty awesome, but it was like 20" long so that's where he obviously got the volume from.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
When playing metal go for a big bass. If you're on the trigger thing you might also want to blend a big bass with the trigger, which sometimes sounds really good.