Just looking for some input on what acoustic electric to get.

I have played a few but some with thinner neck that i did not like, i have large hands being 6'6''

Wonder what all you think would be a good start for the acoustic electric
what's your budget, and do you need a cutaway? most (but not all) seagull guitars have a wider nut.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 17, 2014,
the solid top matons aren't all that expensive, at least where they're regularly sold, but the ones i got to try sounded sort of boxy.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
the solid top matons aren't all that expensive, at least where they're regularly sold, but the ones i got to try sounded sort of boxy.

True, the acoustic sound is an acquired taste, but some of us grow to love it.

The older Matons do sound tight and overbraced, but I think they work very well for fast fingerpicking. However, the newer ones have been redesigned in consultation with Bob Taylor (I bet this is a sweetheart deal over Maton pickups and preamps) and are much more open sounding. Also, as I understand it, all the newer models are all-solid, for those who worry about such things. - Not I.
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 17, 2014,
i'm 6'7" and got a fender cd140sce and it feels nice in my hands and the neck isn't lacquered and it plays real well
Quote by TylerPotts
Just looking for some input on what acoustic electric to get.

I have played a few but some with thinner neck that i did not like, i have large hands being 6'6''
I'm nowhere near 6'6", but sometimes I have a bit of trouble moving from my oft played 12 strings, (1 7/8" + neck width), to the current standard 1 11/16" A/E 6 string necks.

A quick question, when you say "thin", which axis is more disturbing, side to side fretboard, or depth?

A chunkier "Gibson" style deep neck profile might be more to your liking, as it would prevent you from closing your hands as tightly, which would be the case with a very slender profile.

I personally find when the narrower necks are giving me a hard time, my technique is off a bit, exacerbating the problem. (Finger tips not pointed straight enough toward the fret board).
I was at guitar center and played a few Fenders such.

Ended up getting a Hummingbird Pro and couldn't be happier right now. I love this thing
I'm 6'5".......a beginner player.......with no idea what I'm doing and going out guitar shopping.

It's gotta be hilarious to the sales guys when I ask to see try out the $1,500 Martins and Taylors. They hand me the guitars and I play my total body of work on each (takes about one minute ).

I can tell you with absolute certainty that I've ruled out the baby models of each. They look like toys in my hands.

The funny thing is, I'm starting to actually develop preferences for specific models.....even though I'm a noob.

I'm going to give it another week or so before I return of the shops. I don't know if they can handle much more laughter at this point, although the guy I'm mainly dealing with is very cool and seems excited that I'm learning to play. He's helping me whittle down my list of potential gear.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 21, 2014,
Quote by TylerPotts
I was at guitar center and played a few Fenders such.

Ended up getting a Hummingbird Pro and couldn't be happier right now. I love this thing
Congratulations! You realize it is your manifest responsibility to post an, "HNGD" thread, with pictures, don't you?

Here's a teaser:

When you say, "Hummingbird Pro", I'm assuming you mean the Epiphone brand. (The real Gibby version is worth a couple of grand).
Quote by Captaincranky
Congratulations! You realize it is your manifest responsibility to post an, "HNGD" thread, with pictures, don't you?

Here's a teaser:

When you say, "Hummingbird Pro", I'm assuming you mean the Epiphone brand. (The real Gibby version is worth a couple of grand).

Yes the Epi, that is the beauty that i picked up the other day.. And have been loving to play it.
Quote by DubfromGA
I'm 6'5".......a beginner player.......with no idea what I'm doing and going out guitar shopping.

hey your in the same Boat i was man. Just gotta go out and play until it feels right. I started playing on any guitar i could snag my hands on. just have had the chance to buy a guitar that i wanted