First off, I hope this in the right subforum.

Hello everyone, I'm a new guy. (Sorry for one of 'those' threads).

I know how internet forums go, and I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times before. I've been lurking a bit, and done some searching here, and there is loads of great info! I finally figured I'd ask a question though.

I've been playing since last August. My parents bought me a classical guitar 10 years ago, and I finally decided to take the plunge and actually learn to play. I bought David Hodges book (Complete Idiot's Guide to Guitar) and started learning to play.

I tried really hard to stick with the book. I mean really hard. I made it to walking bass lines before my mind melted and I just stopped working from the book. By then I new enough chords to play a lot of the songs I love. I learned basic chords, strumming patterns, some slurs, stuff like that. And through learning a few songs, I learned a few other things like barre chords and palm muting. I have tried a few times to go back to the book, starting over with walking bass lines, and every time I get frustrated and fall off the wagon.

That's pretty much where I got stuck. For the last few months, I sit down with UG and one of my favorite song's chords, and strum the song. It's great, I'm playing the music I want to play, and it doesn't sound too horrible. I bought an acoustic guitar as well, and have been enjoying the sound of the steel strings, and the easier playing with the narrower neck.

However, just this past week, I bought a Mudhoney album (Superfuzz Bigmuff), and it has rekindled the fire under my ass. I want to be better.

I'm just not sure where to go right now. I'd really like to be able to get an electric and go nuts, playing melodies, solos, riffs, stuff like that; but am not anywhere close.

Thanks for any help. I know you guys probably get this a lot, so I hope you bear with me.
Truefire.com has great lessons by seasoned pros. Sign up and log on. Most popular songs have how-to-play-it vids on youtube and some are better than others. Check em out and continue the adventure!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out!

Youtube has been excellent for learning to play a few of the songs I've learned (strumming for Alice in Chains 'Nutshell' wasn't falling in to place while just staring at the chords).
if you're youtubing.... try justinguitar.com
he has some excellent lessons to help you. it's considered to be the best online tutorial.
martysongs is another good one. marty schwartz has a lot of good tutorials on songs and walks you thru step by step.
electric guitars are a whole different world than acoustics. but you are doing it the right way. learning acoustic first will make learning electric a lot easier. electric players often have a difficult time adjusting.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Wow, checked out Justinguitar's website. Looks great! Enough so that I bought the beginner song book. Looking through the beginner course, I'm up to about stage four (besides the JUSTIN lessons), after that, I know a few different tidbits from here and there in the other lessons.

Watching a couple of the videos, it's clear and easy to understand (easier than reading from a book), so think I'll give it a try for a while.