I'm playing over a song that I'm pretty sure is in F#m.
The chords are F#m, C#m, B, F#m.
Soloing in the C#m pentatonic and C#m Aeolian works really well.
My question is, where would the appropriate major pentatonic scale be, relative to this?
If C#M works, shouldn't it be 3 frets down, so A#?
Will a major pentatonic just not work over this progression?
No, the relative major of C# minor is E major.

And both C# minor and E major share the same notes so it will sound exactly the same - what makes them different is the backing track. If the backing track is in a major key and you use the same notes, it will sound like major and you are playing the major scale. But if the backing track is in a minor key and you use the same notes, it will sound like minor and you are playing the minor scale. The chords change the function of the notes. Relative major and minor scales don't sound any different if they are played over the same chords because they are the same notes. They just get different names depending on the function of the notes. It's all about the sound.

If the backing track sounds like F# minor to you, maybe try F#m pentatonic. If it's in F#m, it does use a non-diatonic chord (B major). So F# minor scale won't work over that chord. You would need to raise the sixth scale degree (D to D#). But using F#m pentatonic is safe. It doesn't clash with any of the chords.

I would suggest learning some theory. You clearly don't understand what relative major and minor are. Relative means that the scales use the same notes. But they are still different from each other. You can't use the relative major over a minor progression (for example if your progression is C#m-B-A-C#m, you can't use the E major scale because it has the same notes as C# minor scale and if you play the notes of E major scale, it will sound like C# minor because of the chords).

Don't just look at your fretboard. It's good to know the note names. Scales aren't just shapes on your fretboard.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 18, 2014,
Hmmm,

If the song is truly in F#m I would usually play minor pent in F#m (from the 2nd fret) and major pent in Eb position. Allman Bros, Skynard, Bob Seeger style.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY