I'm in the market for a new amp, but I don't know what to get.

I'm looking for a versatile 2x12 combo for playing metal, punk, hardcore etc., but I also want some good clean and warm tones for other styles.

I'm not fussed about price at this stage because I'd rather get something good which will last for a long time, but if I don't have to spend heaps I'm ok with that too.

My main problem is that my local music shops don't have much of a range (I've tried most of their stuff) and I may have to order something or buy online.

All suggestions are welcome
Quote by the*matt
I'm looking for a versatile 2x12 combo
Are you sure?
A 2x12 combo is heavy, not ideal if you have to move the thing.
You should consider 2x12 cab + head maybe.

Without knowing what kind of metal you want to play nor your budget, I'mma go and suggest the obvious expensive things:
EVH 5150 III,
Bogner Twin Jet,
Rockerverb II,
Egnater Armageddon,
plus a mesa rectifier 2x12.

On the cheaper side:
Jet City whateverpower
Egnater Rebel or Renegade
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120,
and I'd still suggest the mesa rectifier 2x12.

Now, where are you located, are you willing to buy something used, and what kinda stuff would you be playing with it?
Metal is not specific enough.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Cheers for the reply mate. I like a lot of prog metal (particularly Between the buried and me) and therefore I want versatility, but when I say metal I generally mean newer stuff with more modern tones. I want something as versatile as possible so that I have options, but I can add a few tone pedals to mix things up if need be.

I'm in Perth, Western Australia and everything is really expensive because of shipping charges on such heavy items.

I am considering a head and cab, but I do prefer the idea of just one piece if possible.

As for buying second hand, I don't really know where to look, but I am open to it
Well there's a 5150 III 2x12 combo.
There's a Mesa Mark V 2x12 combo, too.
And there's a Jet City 50w 2x12 combo.
For the sole versatility, a kemper pa or an axe fx if you fancy the genre, though you'd need a power amp and a cab for them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Mesa Roadster 2x12
Mesa Roadking 2x12
Peavey JSX 2x12

I agree with Spambot, a 2x12 cab and a head will be away easier to transport. But if you want a combo, get one and make yourself happy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by the*matt
Cheers for the reply mate. I like a lot of prog metal (particularly Between the buried and me) and therefore I want versatility, but when I say metal I generally mean newer stuff with more modern tones. I want something as versatile as possible so that I have options, but I can add a few tone pedals to mix things up if need be.

I'm in Perth, Western Australia and everything is really expensive because of shipping charges on such heavy items.

I am considering a head and cab, but I do prefer the idea of just one piece if possible.

As for buying second hand, I don't really know where to look, but I am open to it

If you haven't checked this out already, its a really handy group man https://www.facebook.com/groups/406514906104334/

Theres a marshall JVM410h on there that you could probably talk down to below $1000 which may fit your needs
Quote by Robbgnarly
Mesa Roadster 2x12
Mesa Roadking 2x12
Peavey JSX 2x12

I agree with Spambot, a 2x12 cab and a head will be away easier to transport. But if you want a combo, get one and make yourself happy.

I also agree with this.. 2x12 combos are good on paper but ****ing annoying to move around. Good suggestions but Mesa's and Peavey's are pretty few and far between in stone age perth
I love my Blackstar Stage60. I'd recommend that

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Cheers everyone. Pretty keen to have a look at that FB group mate so thanks for that. The head and cab are easier to move, but they take up more space and I might be in for a hefty fee to get the ones I want. I love the Mesa Mark V but they retail at $6000 here and even reduced they are still about $4500.

I think I'll just have to keep looking around and save some money to step it up a bit
Mesa is pretty much out of the equation since TS is in Australia, right?

Which is a real shame - you need a Mesa for what you want to do.

Keep an eye out for a Randall RM100

EVH 5150 III (I don't care for the 50W version)
Peavey JSX

Also, have you owned a 2x12 combo before? Most of them are no ****ing joke. We're pointing out their weight for a reason. I've owned 2, and will never own one again. You can get a dolly, but it's not really that convenient compared to just picking up a head or cab and walking it wherever, to the car or to the stage.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've consider EVH, but it's another one that just doesn't pop up much in music shops here. I'm looking at a combo because it is a bit more convenient for me for various reasons, but if people are hating on them that much because of their weight then I will definitely start looking at heads and cabs