Whats up guys? I know I'm normally helping others out here, but I need a bit of help. I just bought a G&L ASAT and I want a new bridge pickup. I just can't make up my mind with the huge selection out there.

I play in a Prog-rock/metal band but I also play a lot of punk (Strung Out,Pennywise type). I have guitar's with PRS Dragon II, SH-4, GFS Fat Pat and I want something similar but more modern. I was thinking a Duncan TB-6 or a BKP Nailbomb (ceramic) just wondering what everyone else thought.

I use a JCM2000 DSL100/Krank 1980 Jr with a Krank Rev 4x12 with V12's or a 2x12 with G12h30's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 18, 2014,
I pretty much hate my TB-6. It's really really bright, in a metallic/tinny bad way.

Have you looked into the DM Super Distortion? That might work for you. Kinda modern, aggressive for punk, but it's a DM so it'll have decent clarity for prog.

My favorite pickup of all time that I am LOVING right now is the SD Full Shred. I play prog/death, which incorporates big/odd shaped chords under heavy distortion, and it's a champ. I'm not sure how close the prog you play is to that or what style prog you play, but worth noting. I don't think it's a good pup for punk, but just throwing it out there as a thought. It's the most articulate pup that I've used though.

Have you looked at the SD Parallel Axis Distortion (PATB-2) at all? Very unorthodox (at least uncommon) pup, but maybe that will work for the blend you're going for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah I had a Dimarzio super distortion (I'm pretty sure that is what it was) in my LP clone for years.

I play prog that ranges from mastodon to thrash to strung out type metal/punk. I want something articulate and punchy. Maybe even a bit of a mid scoop. I just want some Ideas to look at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well by all means, DO check out the SD Distortion. By all accounts, it should have been great for me, everything was right on paper. But it just doesn't work for me in real life. Could very well just be that it doesn't like my RG520.

Real life is often different than on paper.

But you know that.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1 on the Full Shred. I have the 7 string set and the neck one is the best neck pup I have ever played. The bridge one doesn't have enough midrange bite for my tastes but it's still an awesome pickup.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The Nailbomb is one of my favorite pickups. That'd be a great choice.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
yeah out of the more common stuff it sounds like the duncan distortion might work, it's like a more modern/tighter JB really (ish). though in a tele it might be very bright. super distortion is a lot thicker/darker, but that might not be what you want.

miracle man might be a good shout but BKPs are (comparatively) crazy expensive in the USA. maybe some of the cheaper US-based handwinders could wind you something along the lines of what you want?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Screamin Demon Seymour Duncan SH-12 in a Les Paul Studio with a '59 neck pu. Some say it is good some say it is bad....i really like it. Not very hot but works well with gain.

I like my MH-400 with EMGs 81/85 more, but the SH-12 may be something to look into.

Good luck!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Consider the RailHammer Chisel.

I have the RailHammer Shizzle.
Well after some looking, I'm going for the nailbomb. It is a little pricy, but I saved a bunch on the guitar so I'll throw a few more bucks at it. I also really liked the Creamery's Classic 83, but I'll give the nailbomb a shot first.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sweet, let us know what it's like
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet, let us know what it's like

Well I'll order it in a week or 2 when the disposable income is back up. $175 which is expensive, but what the hell you only live once
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
haha no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well after some looking, I'm going for the nailbomb. It is a little pricy, but I saved a bunch on the guitar so I'll throw a few more bucks at it. I also really liked the Creamery's Classic 83, but I'll give the nailbomb a shot first.

I was going to rec The Creamery, but I haven't gotten my RB-T (with a Dirty Shirt HB & HB-sized P90 from them) yet- it's still under construction- so I couldn't give you a fair evaluation. Those edged out a similar setup from Bareknuckle.

I hope the Nailbomb treats you right! I still want to get a set of Rebel Yells from them, and maybe a Stockholm...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 20, 2014,
It breaks my heart a little seeing people pay those prices for BKPs. They are not worth that IMO.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It breaks my heart a little seeing people pay those prices for BKPs. They are not worth that IMO.

Yeah, I know. But it seems to be the pickup that has the characteristics I hear in my head.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Bill and Becky l500xl.

Yeah dime used it, who really cares if he did. It's a versatile pickup and I like it very much. I do play a lot of punk (Bad Religion, Social D, Black Flag, NOFX, etc.) and it works great for all of it.

When I play stuff such as BR or Social D I like to roll the volume back a little, Social D uses P90's and you can get a decent sound for them with it. I'm using it in my SG, and I usually put the pickup selector on both pickups (neck being a 57').

You can get very warm tones out of the B&B.
Quote by quadracer92
Bill and Becky l500xl.

Yeah dime used it, who really cares if he did. It's a versatile pickup and I like it very much. I do play a lot of punk (Bad Religion, Social D, Black Flag, NOFX, etc.) and it works great for all of it.

When I play stuff such as BR or Social D I like to roll the volume back a little, Social D uses P90's and you can get a decent sound for them with it. I'm using it in my SG, and I usually put the pickup selector on both pickups (neck being a 57').

You can get very warm tones out of the B&B.

nah, the 500xl never did anything for me

I play punk like Strung Out, Pennywise, Lagwagon, Sick of it All and Prog Metal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate