So i'm a bedroom bass player and while I love my Ibanez ATK100, I was thinking of going a squier shortscale route to find a bass with slimmer neck.

I considered shipping from overseas but due to my budget of $400aud and under any saving I make on overseas prices would be undercut by shipping fees.

The choices I've narrowed it down to are:

SS Squier VM Jaguar $249
http://www.bigmusicshop.com.au/bass/bass-guitars/4-string-basses/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-short-scale-silver.html

Or the Mikey Way Squier Sig Mustang Bass $389
http://www.bigmusicshop.com.au/bass/bass-guitars/4-string-basses/squier-matt-mikey-way-mustang-bass.html

In your opinion is the Mustang sig worth the $140 more that the jaguar?

I tried looking at other australian websites but the one i linked seemed to have the cheapest prices along with free shipping.

Also would Jazz basses have a slimmer neck in comparison to my ATK? I'm only asking because I'm also partial to the 70' VM bass and someone is selling one in the classifieds near me for $350 which I should be able haggle on the price a bit.
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
ATKs have chunky baseball bat necks like a Stingray, pretty much anything has a smaller neck.

Of those two basses, I'd sooner go for the Jaguar. It has better pickups and more tonal options.

If you want thinner necks, look at the Ibanez SR range, short scale doesn't always mean a thinner neck.
Both of those basses have the same necks as far a specs go. The Jag will give you more tonal options, Like Spaz said.
I think you would be paying for the name on the signature mustang. The vintage modified squiers are pretty good guitars as I understand.
Also, I agree that short scale doesn't mean thinner neck. Just shorter.

The last Jazz bass I had was pretty hefty as far as neck thickness goes, but it was also a 5 string. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Apr 18, 2014,
I second the recommendation of the Ibanez SR range for a slim neck. The ATK series are notorious for having baseball bat-like necks. I suggest that you make certain that you want a short scale bass before you buy. A lot of people think they will like them, only to be driven mad by intonation problems and a distinctly different playability from standard 34" scale basses.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I ended up going for the squier VM 70's Jazz Bass, talked the guy down to $300.

The neck is definitely slimmer than my ATK and its in pretty good condition with only a little scuffing around the headstock and some residue left over from duct tape around the strap buttons.

Thanks for the input anyway guys

Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
Last edited by badpun at Apr 21, 2014,