Just getting into the swing of things at this time.

Started lessons a month after my son got started and having a lot of fun with it.

I was in a local music store the other day and had a hard time putting one of their SG Specials back up. It just felt great. The neck fit my hand better than any other guitar I've tried. The pickups really sounded great, too. A ton of different sounds seemed to be there without touching the amp.

I knew right then that I'd found the guitar that i wanted to grow with.

I wasn't too hot with the color and figured I'd go ahead and get the color I liked. They ordered it and 2 1/2 weeks later.....I get a call that it's here.

Picked it up today at lunch time.
Attachments:
Smv3XNg.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 18, 2014,
I was a sucker and had to have their hard case, too. It's been sitting empty....waiting.
Attachments:
u2H2GGf.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
I'm pleased with the color. It looks great to me, although all the available colors were great.....that Butterscotch is intriguing, too.....almost went that direction....but I'm glad I went with Ebony.

Thing feels "just right" in hand.

Really comfortable and light.
Attachments:
VJjNPEC.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 18, 2014,
Anniversary year. I like the commemorative inlay.
Attachments:
FQEWg7n.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
I really grew to like the T-O-M on my first guitar. It was one of the things I liked most about it.

Glad I'm sticking with that aspect.
Attachments:
bKLsKTI.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
The pickups really offer a wide enough range of tones to keep me interested.
Attachments:
DHvEPqH.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Looks great- tell us more!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out a way to condense it and still show pics.....sorry.

The coil tapping is a nice feature. Like I said earlier....there is a wide range of sounds attainable before I ever touch anything on the amp.
Attachments:
ENvlp6C.jpg
V08AGbg.jpg
On6MH9R.jpg
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Looks great- tell us more!

I checked the tune out of the box and every string except the B was just a small amount flat.....the B was slightly sharp.

The strings feel really nice. Nines, I believe is what they are. Cleartone strings. I haven't a clue as to how they rate among experienced players. I'll have to see how they do.

I've got a few packs of Ernie Ball Super Slinkies that we restrung my son's Strat with. Those felt great, too.

Very slight turns were all that was needed to satisfy my clip-on tuner.

Looks like the "Born on Date" was 3/24/14.

R.P. Elliott was responsible for the final quality checkout.

I really like the feel of the neck in my hand.

It balances well on my leg. I'll put a strap on it tomorrow when I get more time to play with it. I'm interested in how it hangs. I can't imagine any troubles, though.

I hate to put it down....but I've got to get back to work.....duty calls.

I think that I'll be really happy with this guitar. It really seems to fit me and the type of music that I'm interested in learning.

You will not see another NGD thread from me for a long time.....other than when I add an acoustic guitar.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just an insight. I have read a lot of the info from a lot of your threads and I understand that you are just getting started. Just wanted to tip my hat to you, I like seeing people that are very inspired and in "awww" of the world of music. Not to mention, if I recall correctly you are doing this in a bonding-ish experience with your son. That is great! Sorry for the temporary thread derail, congrats on the new gear! Enjoy the hell out of it.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thanks everyone.

It's been a fun ride thus far. Looking forward to the fun times ahead.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
SG guitars are very neck heavy when using a strap, so if you let go, it will swing to the ground.

HNGD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DubfromGA

R.P. Elliott was responsible for the final quality checkout.

I really like the feel of the neck in my hand.

It balances well on my leg. I'll put a strap on it tomorrow when I get more time to play with it. I'm interested in how it hangs. I can't imagine any troubles, though.

That's RIP, Elliot. Faithful dog of one of the managers. Sad how he went.

If your technique is good, only your thumb will be touching the back of the neck. The rest of the fingers will be on the fretboard.

I'm interested in how it (meaning the SG, that is) hangs, too. SGs are notoriously neck heavy. Left to their own devices, the headstock will sometimes head for the ground. LPs have a heavier body and are rarely neck heavy. Stratocasters are balanced in the strap by having the upper strap button positioned on the upper horn, way up near the 12th fret.

The reason a neck-heavy SG is a problem is that you'll unconsciously be supporting the neck with the palm of your hand while playing, and that changes your playing technique.
Various methods of curing the problem have ranged from sewing a little bag of lead shot or finishing weights to the strap near the bottom strap button to drilling out a hole in the bottom of the guitar and filling it with a tungsten slug, then putting a wood plug in the hole and refinishing that section of the guitar to match.

Some people advocate getting a grippy strap, but this usually results in your shirt being pulled up in the back.
Congrats on your purchase!Very nice!Not many things are as exciting as NGD,Exept new amp day or new car day.
awesome. cant really go wrong with that guitar and it will suite many styles of music. way better than buying a long array of crap before you decide to dive into a 800-1000+ guitar. not saing thats needed, but its more expensive to buy a long line of crap and it eventually gets you to the same end goal.

the hey is WELL INFORMED decisions. cant just be buying top end gear without knowing if its right for you either.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by dspellman

If your technique is good, only your thumb will be touching the back of the neck. The rest of the fingers will be on the fretboard.

depends on what you're playing. that's fine if you're playing classical, but if you're playing blues/rock/metal lead guitar (and even some more rock-style chords) your thumb will be round the neck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
SG guitars are very neck heavy when using a strap, so if you let go, it will swing to the ground.

HNGD

While this is generally a problem with SG's, they're certainly not *all* like that. His may not be, mine certainly doesn't have neck dive, although the '61 Reissues with the larger headstocks certainly *do* have neck dive issues.

Best of luck to OP with the learning and the guitar, and a very HNGD from a huge SG fan!
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends on what you're playing. that's fine if you're playing classical, but if you're playing blues/rock/metal lead guitar (and even some more rock-style chords) your thumb will be round the neck.

Having your thumb on the back of the neck is a component of good technique, not just for classical guitar.

Curling your thumb around the neck is a symptom of bad technique; you see guys like Slash play like this because they hang their guitars ridiculously low, and it makes it easier to get your fret fingers on the board; this is pretty common for blues/rock/metal, unless you ride your guitar up high

Of course this isn't true in all cases, but just in general.

EDIT: Basically agree with 100% of dspellman's original post which you quoted. Anyways this isn't really the thread for this.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Apr 19, 2014,
I disagree. Look at (almost) any good (electric) lead guitar player. They have their thumbs round the neck. They don't all have their guitars round their ankles.

Having your fingers at a bit of an angle (rather than straight down like in classical) also helps muting, too, which is necessary when playing with any amounts of distortion.

what a noob
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 19, 2014,
good argument. Although the key to good classical technique is pulling your wrist forward, which both keeps your thumb on the back on the neck, as well as curves your fingers (not straight down per your post). Try putting your fretting hand on an imaginary guitar neck. Now pull your wrist as far forward as you can. You'll see your thumb would be on the back of the neck, and your fingers curved. Now pull your wrist back as far as you can. You'll see your thumb curve around the neck, and your fingers won't have as much play above the "fretboard".
Like I said, it's not a hard and fast rule, and there's nothing to say that players (such as Guthrie) haven't possibly developed some bad habits, and still sound utterly incredible.
EDIT: Here's a video of Guthrie actually playing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T02w4PiEGQ
He seems to alternate between thumb on the back of the neck, on the top of the neck and around the top of the neck as he plays. I would argue as he plays more complex lines, he takes a more classical hand position, and vice versa. In short, everyone is going to play how they feel is more comfortable to play, and what do I know.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Apr 19, 2014,
It's not a bad habit, it's perfectly fine (in fact, advisable, I'd say, to get better bends and vibrato) technique for certain types of lead playing (generally more blues-based type stuff with lots of bends and vibrato). Yeah, you have more stretch with your thumb behind, and if you're playing a passage where you need the stretch you switch, like guthrie does.

you should use whichever one works better for the bit you're playing
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?