OD pedal newb here...looking into getting one as my first pedal. What are the biggest differences between the TS9 and TS808, and what are the popular mods done to them (and why?)

What other OD pedals would you recommend? I just got a new amp (Marshall DSL40C) and and play a Les Paul Studio. Mainly play crunch on the green/clean channel and not terribly distorted on the dirty channel - mostly playing classic rock/bluesy stuff.

Thanks for any info provided!
They will both do exactly what you want. Would you be open to Maxon pedals?

Maxon used to make the boards for Ibanez and is regarded as a higher quality pedal at about the same price.

The OD808 is actually cheaper than the TS808 and is made in Japan based on the original circuit. Maxon also used to supply Ibanez with TS9/TS808 circuit boards before Ibanez cheaped out and went Chinese (while raising their prices ).
Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 18, 2014,
Quote by Mole351
OD pedal newb here...looking into getting one as my first pedal. (a) What are the biggest differences between the TS9 and TS808, (b) and what are the popular mods done to them (and why?)

(c) What other OD pedals would you recommend? I just got a new amp (Marshall DSL40C) and and play a Les Paul Studio. (d) Mainly play crunch on the green/clean channel and not terribly distorted on the dirty channel - mostly playing classic rock/bluesy stuff.

Thanks for any info provided!

(a) sweet FA

(b) normally either something that reduces the bass cut/reduces the apparent mid hump or clipping options (e.g. option to switch between stock diodes and LEDs (gives less compression and dirt, more open/crunchy sound) or between symmetrical and asymmetrical diode clipping, often a diode lift too (so it becomes basically a clean boost pedal).

(c) what type of tone do you want? tonal colouring and compression or more transparent? are you going to use it as a boost or as a standalone overdrive (or both)?

(d) could you give some bands/guitar players as examples? Just in case your ideas of those genres are different from ours.

Quote by cheesefries

The OD808 is actually cheaper than the TS808 and is made in Japan based on the original circuit.

nope it's a ts10. there's very little difference between it and a ts808 too, but yeah, technically it's not an 808 despite the name.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys.

Honestly I'd be open to anything - just know the TS are very popular pedals and figure are that way for a reason.

Probably would want a bit of tone coloring as well, maybe a bit of warmer tone and enhanced distortion? Not sure if I'm in the right arena for that with an OD pedal though...

As far as bands go - would probably say G 'n R and Zeppelinesque for the dirt, and a crunchy clean for bluesy stuff (exact sound or band reference escapes me right now)
Last edited by Mole351 at Apr 18, 2014,
Just an idea, instead of buying an "808", you could buy a Bad Monkey and an SD1. That'd give you both general types of overdrive ( symmetrical vs asymmetrical?) to screw around with before you invest in a pricier pedal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
For about the same money, I'd go for a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, getting both a TS-style OD and distortion as well.

Also by VS is the (discontinued) Double Trouble, which houses 2 TS-style ODs in the same pedal, so you can have 2 different OD settings available with the tap of a toe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by lucky1978
Just an idea, instead of buying an "808", you could buy a Bad Monkey and an SD1. That'd give you both general types of overdrive ( symmetrical vs asymmetrical?) to screw around with before you invest in a pricier pedal.

yeah (or at least "both general ts-types"). or maybe the ehx east river drive, i think it's a ts clone. I think my joyo 808 clone sounds marginally better than the bad monkey (though the BM is more versatile with the bass knob) but I dunno how much I trust Joyo's reliability.

and yeah crunchier suggests to me an sd1 rather than a ts which is slightly smoother (there's the cheaper daphon sd1 clone if you just want to try it, but unless you get it from china you won't be saving much and I'd probably just get the boss version).

ts might be better for bluesier stuff.

zep is more fuzz (with guitar volume rolled down for less distorted tones) i think, at least a lot of the time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use the Digitech Bad Monkey. It's a really good overdrive, and it's 100€ less expensive than the TS !! But you should go to a music store and try those pedals before buying it. Try it all and choose the one you prefer !
I found a ts9 at a used guitar shop a few weeks back. They were asking $75, I got them down to $55. I'm loving it! It adds adds just enough crunch and seems to tighten up any existing tone (pedal or amp) also it's built very solid. I also have a Fulltone OCD that I am very fond of. I typically use the TS to boost the OCD. My boss blues driver is a great pedal as well although it doesn't seem to stack all that well with other pedals. I have heard good things about the Bad monkey and at $30 or so on ebay I'm probably gonna pick one up. I forgot I have an MXR classic overdrive that has a great Subtle classic rock drive. That may work well with your taste.
If I could only have 1 of my overdrives(I would be very sad) then I would probably pick my OCD pedal, it is a very versatile pedal and has lots of thick creamy gain on tap if you like and it also cleans up great.
Hope some of that was of help
IMO, after a recent comparison I've done, if you've played one tubescreamer then you've played them all.

Only ones I found that had real differences were ones with extra controls like the bass on the Bad Monkey and mid focuses on the Green Rhino rather than just the simple volume/tone/gain setup most tubescreamers have.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by vegetaof9
My boss blues driver is a great pedal as well although it doesn't seem to stack all that well with other pedals.

if my digitech screamin blues is anything to go by (it's a glorified bd2, far as i'm aware), it doesn't like being the second pedal in the stack, but it's fine boosting something else.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wanted soooo bad to find a cheaper alternative to an 808. I demo'd all kinds of clones and cheaper alternatives. In the end nothing had the warm sweet smoothness of the real deal to my ear. Needless to say, I ponied up the cash and bought a ts808.
I have a TS10 but usually use a Bad Monkey same Damned thing.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I kind of started collecting Ibanez TS pedals a few years back just picking them up when they were being offered at low prices on EBay. I started with my original TS9 back in 1984 and a TS10 which I bought around 1986-87. About 10 years ago I picked up two TS 10's for $30-40.00 each. That started me keeping an eye out for cheap Ibanez pedals. I now also have an Ibanez Super Tube (1985), a TS5, two TS 7's and a Distortion Charger (a TS 10 with more EQ). They are all similar in some ways but vary a bit in tone. I think the TS 10 was the best. It has a nicer upper mid than the TS 9 but they often suffer from a physical problem when Ibanez started attaching the input and output directly to the circuit board. I guess I'll never own a real 808 because the prices are ridiculous. I've seen them as high as $800.00 on EBay.
For the money I like the Bad Monkey. I got one last year and found it to be almost identical to a TS 9 or TS 10.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 7, 2015,