I recently picked up a stock Ibanez RG370DX and I'm going to upgrade the pickups. I have a set of Seymour Duncan Invaders that I got in a trade so I'm going to put those in. I also have a stock neck pickup from a 2012 USA Stratocaster lying around in my parts drawer. Any thoughts on putting that in the middle position between the two Invaders?

I realize it's much lower output than the SD's but I won't be switching around live mid-song so that doesn't bother me. I just want to upgrade the tonal potential of the guitar. Will the neck pup sound good in the middle spot?

Also, does anybody know if I'll need to reverse the polarity with it in the middle spot? I would normally wire it black to ground and the other wire to the switch. But will that put my 2 and 4 positions out of phase with the Invaders since it's actually a neck pickup?

Thanks, and happy Friday
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Apr 18, 2014,
should be fine in terms of sound. a lot (not all) pickup manufacturers use the same pickup in neck and middle positions.

as you suggested, though, it probably won't be RWRP, so that'd be worth bearing in mind. Don't quote me on this, but I'd have thought all that'll happen is it won't be noiseless in the in-between positions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't mind if it's not noiseless, but I want to avoid the thin out-of-phase tones. I'll find out as soon as it's installed, and it's easy enough to flip the wires around. I just wondered if anybody knew from experience...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
nope all my knowledge is theoretical
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
nope all my knowledge is theoretical

With me, it's theoretical that I have any.
Doubt they'll be out of phase. You'll know right away if it is, anyway, and then it's an easy fix.
Do you know how to do the "flick" test? I mix and match all kind of pickups, so this is normal practice for me.

You need a multimeter and a lump of iron.

Connect your pickup to a multimeter set on to its lowest amp setting.

Note which multimeter probe goes to which pickup wire.

Flick a lump of iron, eg a screwdriver, off the pickup poles, and note whether the current shows positive or negative on the multimeter. It should be between about 20 and 100mA, depending on the pickup. Repeat a few times until you are sure of the result.

Repeat with the comparator pickup. If the current is in the same direction (eg both negative), the two pickups are in phase WRT to the way you have wired them to the multimeter. If the current is in the opposite direction (eg one negative the other positive) then the two pickup are out of phase and you will need to reverse the wiring on one of them.

HTH
Quote by dspellman
With me, it's theoretical that I have any.

hehe same here
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool, thanks for the help. I found an HSH diagram on the SD website where they make a note about using Fender single coils in the middle (need to flip the green / black wires on the SD humbuckers). Not sure if it matters whether it's a Fender neck or middle pickup, but I'll just follow that and see if it works. If not I'll just flip the wires. Easy enough...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
UPDATE: Got it all wired up. I had to flip the wires for the middle pickup after all, but it wasn't a big deal. The Strat single coil actually compliments the Invaders really well (surprisingly). I was strumming some chords on the middle pickup on the dirty channel of my amp, it sounded nice and jangly. Then I flicked it down to the bridge and it was like kicking on a cranked tubescreamer. Very cool
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
yeah a lot of people don't like mixing humbuckers and singles because of the big volume difference, but (assuming you like that) you can use that to your advantage to get a wider range of overdriven tones.

glad you got it sorted
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah a lot of people don't like mixing humbuckers and singles because of the big volume difference, but (assuming you like that) you can use that to your advantage to get a wider range of overdriven tones.

glad you got it sorted

And you can always put single/series/parallel switches on the humbuckers if you want single-coil-like tones and volumes from them.
Quote by Tony Done
And you can always put single/series/parallel switches on the humbuckers if you want single-coil-like tones and volumes from them.

Its funny you mention it, I was thinking of doing that. My 2 and 4 positions aren't that useful now. And I really don't need those quack tones because I have a Strat. So I was wondering... is there a way to rewire the 2 and 4 positions on a 5-way switch so that one of them is the bridge humbucker in parallel and the other is the neck humbucker in parallel?

That way I would have positions 1 and 5 as the regular (series wiring) humbuckers, positions 2 and 4 would be each individual humbucker in parallel, and position 3 would be the middle single coil by itself. Is that possible?
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
Its funny you mention it, I was thinking of doing that. My 2 and 4 positions aren't that useful now. And I really don't need those quack tones because I have a Strat. So I was wondering... is there a way to rewire the 2 and 4 positions on a 5-way switch so that one of them is the bridge humbucker in parallel and the other is the neck humbucker in parallel?

That way I would have positions 1 and 5 as the regular (series wiring) humbuckers, positions 2 and 4 would be each individual humbucker in parallel, and position 3 would be the middle single coil by itself. Is that possible?

I don't think so, because the same hot out wire is serving the 5 and 4 positions. Maybe a superswitch (4-pole switch) will do it. A bit of Google research should find the answer to that. I just use dpdt switches, as found on push-pull pots.
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 19, 2014,
Quote by Tony Done
I don't think so, because the same hot out wire is serving the 5 and 4 positions. Maybe a superswitch (4-pole switch) will do it. A bit of Google research should find the answer to that. I just use dpdt switches, as found on push-pull pots.

Ok, that's not a problem. I might put in a 3-way switch and use a push-pull for series / parallel. I'm not in a rush to do it, I was just curious.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2