So I am looking for my first GOOD, RESPECTABLE all tube amp. Something for around the house. Occasional jams with just friends and maybe a drummer. No gigging. I am into grunge, alternative, hard rock.... styles like hendrix, chili pepper, Janes addiction, primus, white stripes, QOTSA.

I went down to my local store and they had a few new USED amps that kind of caught my eye....

I had been looking at a Fender DeVille 1x12 new. they run about $730 on musicians friend. They had a used one. MIA (as opposed to the new ones MIM). salesman said probably early - mid 2000s. Sounded really good. no rust. But the leather wrapped around the case was a little beat up around the edges. (what do you expect for 10 years old). It was a consignment item and they were asking $469. Now I know how consignment works... so IDK how much I would be able to talk them down, but I would assume they would come down a bit.

Does this sound like a fair price? or is it over priced?
Last edited by Smigzy at Apr 18, 2014,
For the tones you want, get a Marshall not a Fender

Or look at Jet City amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Meh, not a good deal, not a bad deal. What else they got?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
They had a Jet city JCA20 combo. I believe its a little older cause arent the newer ones 22W? They also had a cab with it but the cab was extra. I believe the combo was $230. looked like new. but I didnt really spend much time on it.

They had a black heart hansom devil head and combo for 250. like new but it was only 5w I believe.

The other amp I played was a Deville 60 watt 4x10. But it was pretty beat up. a little rust around the hardware. it was 520 I believe.

These amps were all on consignment. I liked them all... but i dont think the hansome devil really meets my need.

I am willing to go out of town... just not sure... its the only guitar shop around and the prices all seem high to me.

And they did not have a single used Marshall other then an mg
give us your location and budget and we'll find you something
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Aren't you the guy near Cleveland? No worries if you're not interested, Ive mentioned It before but I have an Egnater Rebel 20 for sale ($250). I have it on Cleveland's craigslist right now. It'll do what you want quite well.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yes, Lucky1978, I am the guy near Cleveland. Not to be a jerk, I just don't know if an egnator is really condusive to my style... arent they more for metal???

I actually live in a city called Erie, PA. The city itsself sucks... and there are not many options for me to buy here in the city. Only the one guitar store and another off brand store.

HOWEVER.... i am very near 3 major cities. I live 88 miles from Buffalo, NY. 90 miles from Cleveland OH. And about 130 miles from Pittsburgh, PA. I am willing to travel to any of those 3 cities if I can find a good deal on some nice gear...

Like I said I want an all tube amp. and my budget would Ideally be under 750$.
No worries, Egnater may not be for you, nothing jerk about that. But its not a metal amp, mid gain is where it excels. Anyways, I thought you were near Cleveland, I'm sure you can find something in your area.
Quote by Smigzy

They had a black heart hansom devil head and combo for 250. like new but it was only 5w I believe.

Blackheart Handsome Devil BH15-112 1x12'' All Tube 15 watt Guitar Amp Combo

15 watt, you should try it. I have the 5w version and like it...
Drive to Cleveland, try out Lucky's Rebel, if you don't like it go to one of the 2 Guitar Centers and see what they have. Make a day of it and get what you really want. Don't settle.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Wut

Egnaters are not metal amps at all.

Keep an eye out for a Marshall DSL401. Really great general purpose amp for everything you want to do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
TS, if you are in Cleveland there is a GC near Boardman and Akron/Canton area. The Boardman doesn't have much in the way of used gear, but you can play a lot of amps at both of them, not to mention you can order through GC used which is normally full of good deals.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but what is your budget?

Off the top of my head (all of these used):
Marshall JCM DSL 401
Peavey Classic 30
Jet City 20 (I think you would be after the 22) or 50w combo
Egnater Rebel
Egnater Tweaker
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
That Jet City combo is excellent, not a bad price either. Best bang for your buck amp in the history of mankind.

I hear great things about the Blackheart and really like the way it sounds in the clips I have heard. I have got one coming in later this week, so I won't be able to vouge for it until then.