hello, Ive recently found the band Concerto Moon. the guitarist in this japanese band Norifumi Shima, makes some chord progressions that make the song sound real neoclassical. Not in a malmsteen way, but in a much darker way. he doesnt rely solely on the power chord like 99% of metal bands do, and it is a satisfying melodic sound. Bad thing is theres no tabs for this band and Im not at the level that I can decipher such complex riffs by ear. Id like to know of other bands that have a similar sound and similar riff building. heres an example of the sound Im looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rbDimlAATc

any bands like this? Ive tried listening to malmsteen, but those riffs just dont hold my interest. Im looking for more metal bands that use a variety of chords to make melodic riffs. and if possible with that neoclassical sound thats so awesome.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Every prog band ever.

If you need recommendations for a certain type of metal then ask in the recommendations thread at the top of the forum.
not that I have anything against prog, but to me they all just sound too out of tune. dream theater especially. I was thinking of bands with a more obvious melody instead of one that you need a "trained ear" to enjoy. my head just doesnt want to like technical prog bands.

ill check out the recommendations thread if this closed or if I still cant find bands after.

thanks for the answers.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Yeah dude you're missing out a ton if your quick to dis prog like that. It takes a little getting used to but it is by far the most interesting and unique style of metal once you get into it, and prog metal bands like Dream Theater, Periphery, Mastodon and Animals As Leaders use a lot of unusual chords. AAL in particular have some really unique chord progressions, check them out.
I wouldnt necessarily consider them straight up metal but Rush's guitar player Alex Lifeson is very complex. I've always said that an individuals guitar playing skills are based on how many Rush songs you can play.
I find prog rock to generally be much better than prog metal tbh. Bands like Van Den Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant are far better than stuff like Dream Theater and Meshuggah. I do enjoy some Voivodvand Fates Warning though.
Hahaha you ask for bands that use complex chords, and when we name all the prog stuff you don't like them because they "sound out of tune"? You do realize that they sound out of tune because of the fact that they are using complex chords though, right? Then you say you want something you need to have a trained ear to listen to. These bands are all bands you need to have a trained ear to listen to, you're probably just too used to major and minor chords.
Quote by bustapr
not that I have anything against prog, but to me they all just sound too out of tune. dream theater especially.

..... sound out of tune...?

I don't think you have the slightest clue what you're talking about.
Quote by bustapr
not that I have anything against prog, but to me they all just sound too out of tune. dream theater especially. I was thinking of bands with a more obvious melody instead of one that you need a "trained ear" to enjoy. my head just doesnt want to like technical prog bands.

ill check out the recommendations thread if this closed or if I still cant find bands after.

thanks for the answers.

After reading this and listening to that song again, I think you may want to look at speed metal. Angel Dust and Helstar are good ones, but I'm not too knowledgeable of speed metal.

Prog bands tend to not have melodies where a trained ear is required, at least not prog metal bands. Patience is the biggest requirement for prog metal due to the bloated songs.
Probably specifically Japanese speed metal.

The Japanese tend to have a specific way of doing things.

For example, Japanese Melodic Death Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWrio6Kri5E
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 19, 2014,