I've been looking around for an electric guitar, I mainly play acoustic so I didn't want anything too expensive but I wanted something to look good next to my Gibson J-35, I eventually decided on the epi dot, so I will hopefully buy one of those soon but I am also after an amp.
Do you have any recommendations for an amp that is not too expensive (around £300) but is physically big, I'd like a half stack but I don't know if I can afford one unless I find a used one.
I will be playing some blues and quite a bit of fingerstyle (Chet Atkins, Merle Travis style stuff etc.) if that helps.
Any tips?

Thanks
Why is physical size important? It's an amp, not sex...

Many of the amps considered as premiere Blues amps aren't very big.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 19, 2014,
Quote by Arby911
Why is physical size important? It's an amp, not sex...

Many of the amps considered as premiere Blues amps aren't very big.

I just like the look of a big amp, don't know why
Fair enough.

Gonna be a trick to get a quality half stack for that money though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
And looks are your deciding factor? Don't make me go upside your head.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And looks are your deciding factor? Don't make me go upside your head.

of course not, I still want a decent amp, I just don't want something tiny that you might trip over if you don't look carefully or my sister might end up putting in her dolls house

I did see a nice Vox once, I think it was about £375, possibly 2x12" and quite large, looked great, didnt get a chance to try it but can't remember the model for the life of me.
With that budget you can't be too choosy. Ideally, I'd say Fender Bassman 4x10 but you won't get close to that. What about a used Egnater Tweaker? That will do what you want - if it's in budget, I don't know what they go for over there. Check Gumtree and/or ebay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks
I may have to look into going a bit over budget do get something better, I will have to browse around
The Laney Lionheart would probably suit too. Really nice little Class A amp. One of the better things Laney make. As you are in the UK, you might get lucky. Not a great amp if you are trying to play clean alongside a loud drummer though. Well, unless you get the 50W head of course. Depends on what you need really. If you aren't needing to play at really high volumes it is another option.
A used AC30 is another thing to watch for. Or an AC15 if, again, you don't need loud drummer volumes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Laney Lionheart would probably suit too. Really nice little Class A amp. One of the better things Laney make. As you are in the UK, you might get lucky. Not a great amp if you are trying to play clean alongside a loud drummer though. Well, unless you get the 50W head of course. Depends on what you need really. If you aren't needing to play at really high volumes it is another option.
A used AC30 is another thing to watch for. Or an AC15 if, again, you don't need loud drummer volumes.

Thanks!, I think I'll go for the vox AC30VR, that's the one I saw in the guitar shop a while ago, I've been browsing videos and it seems to be a good sounding amp
Just be aware that the VR is not a real AC30. It's a SS modeling amp with a single 12AX7 as a buffer in the power amp (ie it's a hybrid). If you like the sound of it that's what matters but just letting you know what it actually is. A real tube AC30 will kick its arse but they are a lot more expensive of course. But a used AC30 is better than a new AC30VR. If the price is comparable it's a no brainer, get the real one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I even think that the VTs are a lot better than the VRs.

Really I think the VRs only exist to trick people with smaller budgets into think they're getting an AC30.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Rather than a combo amp I've now been looking more into amp heads then I'll just get a 4x12" or 2x12" cab, it'll only really be used in my bedroom so It can't/doesn't need to be too loud, so probably under 20 watts, I was looking at the Orange micro terror amp head, small, cheap, 20 watts, valve power stage and I've heard good things about it, it will also sound good through a 4x12" but it really is tiny!
You've been tricked again - the micro terror has a tube preamp and a solid state power amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You've been tricked again - the micro terror has a tube preamp and a solid state power amp.

ah right, I don't really mind if the amp is tube or solid state to be honest , It's my first electric amp so i'm not being too fussy at the moment, as long as it sounds good .
Is the micro terror a good head? (for anyone who has played through one?)
It's not a bad practice amp I suppose. Sounds a bit brittle compared to the real Terrors. I wouldn't use it on stage unless I was desperate.

Have you done a search for a used Vyper Tube 60? Those are pretty good. Solid state preamp and tube power amp.
When on a tight budget you will normally get far better bang for your buck from a combo. That's why all the recommendations you are getting are for combos.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Have you done a search for a used Vyper Tube 60? Those are pretty good. Solid state preamp and tube power amp.

I'll have a look at it, I was also checking out the Fender Champion 100 online...
A Vyper Tube will kick its arse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The micro terror is ok, its not great by any means but its ok. I'll say a used classic 30 or a valve king over the vyper tube Tbh ts doesbt really need the distortion maybe a jet city.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Classic 30 is a good suggestion, a very good suggestion. I forgot about those. He'll never use the second channel but the clean channel is very nice on those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 20, 2014,
Check out the Epiphone Blues Custom 30 (pretty sure thats what its called). Its basically a larger Valve Jr. It'd probably work pretty well for the stuff you mentioned.

And the Vox VT series is a better amp than the VR, imo. The VR costs twice as much new for some reason.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Peavey XXX and cheap cab, then when you have more cash buy a better cab. sell what you got... unless you are like most of us and get more amps. and do it again. and again

**** i missed something. disregard XXX if you are into more blues and country. ni
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 20, 2014,
Yeah, sure. Just get a 1x12 or 2x12 to go with it. A 1x12 with a good speaker is better than a 2x12 with crappy ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This topic makes my head hurt. Get a combo. You'll end up with a better amp for what you need.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by Alex Kirtley
would the classic 30 head be good for bedroom use?

it is open-backed but I'm fairly sure you still won't get a bed inside it

sorry
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Alex Kirtley
I've been looking around for an electric guitar, I mainly play acoustic so I didn't want anything too expensive but I wanted something to look good next to my Gibson J-35, I eventually decided on the epi dot, so I will hopefully buy one of those soon but I am also after an amp.
Do you have any recommendations for an amp that is not too expensive (around £300) but is physically big, I'd like a half stack but I don't know if I can afford one unless I find a used one.

He wants a big WHAT?

Lame and Lamerer.
I'd suggest one of these (with a small combo on top):

Quote by Dave_Mc
it is open-backed but I'm fairly sure you still won't get a bed inside it

sorry

Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Classic 30 is an excellent choice. If you're mainly into cleans and bluesy sounds the Valveking will serve you well as well.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan