So, in this video look at the pedalboard. I have never seen any pedals like that, its just one long board. wtf is it? thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=InISOY3ckEU#t=1581
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
looks like some kinda midi controller to me.

it'd be connected to a rack setup that can control signal chain and parameters of effects.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Why would someone want to use a rack effect instead of using pedals?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
Why would someone want to use a rack effect instead of using pedals?

Easier to switch them all at once with the MIDI. With individual pedals you'd have to tapdance a lot to switch lots of effects.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Easier to switch them all at once with the MIDI. With individual pedals you'd have to tapdance a lot to switch lots of effects.

+1

plus you can keep them in a remote location and not have to have them on stage. some portability and consistancy issues are also resolved with a rack setup

-ae
It must be complicated to set that up though, like if you have a whole bunch of effects and make different combinations.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead
It must be complicated to set that up though, like if you have a whole bunch of effects and make different combinations.

Such is the life of a musician. Getting everything perfect takes time, but it so worth it in the end.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by 457undead

the guitar tech generally does it for higher profile bands

-ae
The thing is, with your MIDI rack setup, it may be sorta complicated to set up - but you only have to do it once. Sure you will tweak it over time, but you can have it set up for individual songs if you want to. You don't need to remember how you set a song up, you just select it and all your old settings are there ready to roll.

Plus of course, generally speaking, rack gear is better quality.

It's easy to set up at a gig if you are smart. A lot of guys go full rack once they start going rack. So the amp is in there as well. You just wheel it in, plug in your MIDI controller, your guitar and your speaker cab and you know everything is right and ready to go. All your effects dialed in perfectly, amp settings, wireless if you have it. No ****ing around, you just plug in and rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The thing is, with your MIDI rack setup, it may be sorta complicated to set up - but you only have to do it once. Sure you will tweak it over time, but you can have it set up for individual songs if you want to. You don't need to remember how you set a song up, you just select it and all your old settings are there ready to roll.

Plus of course, generally speaking, rack gear is better quality.

It's easy to set up at a gig if you are smart. A lot of guys go full rack once they start going rack. So the amp is in there as well. You just wheel it in, plug in your MIDI controller, your guitar and your speaker cab and you know everything is right and ready to go. All your effects dialed in perfectly, amp settings, wireless if you have it. No ****ing around, you just plug in and rock.

Yeah, but, you can't get all of the effects pedals have from a rack effect. There is more variety with effect pedals. For example, you can't just go and buy a tubescreamer built into a rack effect.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at Apr 20, 2014,
WTF are you talking about? Have you seen David Gilmour's rack? He has stompboxes in there on rack shelves, switched in and out via a looper (ie. MIDI switched Big Muff, etc) and all sorts of other pieces of rack gear. IIRC, he has a TS9 in there too. You can put anything in a rack, ya goose.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 20, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
WTF are you talking about? Have you seen David Gilmour's rack? He has stompboxes in there on rack shelves, switched in and out via a looper (ie. MIDI switched Big Muff, etc) and all sorts of other pieces of rack gear. You can put anything in a rack, ya goose.

how would that work with pedals? Would you have a hammer hit the pedal like a piano every time you turn it on from the midi foot switch thing? I'm serious.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
You use a looper. Not a loop recorder, a pedal looper. It basically provides programmable FX loops. You stick whatever you want in each loop and turn each loop on and off using MIDI. Some units, like the G-System (which can be either rack or floorboard) have several programmable FX loops built right in. You just program your patches to use a loop or not.

Edit: Just to be clear, you leave the pedal turned on. You switch it in and out of the signal chain, you don't turn the pedal on and off.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 20, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
You use a looper. Not a loop recorder, a pedal looper. It basically provides programmable FX loops. You stick whatever you want in each loop and turn each loop on and off using MIDI. Some units, like the G-System (which can be either rack or floorboard) have several programmable FX loops built right in. You just program your patches to use a loop or not.

Edit: Just to be clear, you leave the pedal turned on. You switch it in and out of the signal chain, you don't turn the pedal on and off.

Ohh, so you keep the pedals on 24/7 until you switch to them with the midi footswitch? Oh and I have no idea who David gilmour is.

Edit: I didn't see cathbards edit.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at Apr 20, 2014,
He's Pink Floyd's guitarist.

Yeah, and if want to switch between two different settings on the stompbox, you run two of them in different loops.
Stompboxes are easier for jamming and just fooling around, but we are talking about Pro gear. Being able to set up recallable effects configurations is invaluable if you're a working muso.
I recently went back to a pedalboard in a working band and I'm going back to a MIDI setup because a pedalboard is a pita. Nothing's ever where you want it when you need it. You've gotta bend over and adjust pedals between songs, "oh shit I kicked a pot, now my boost is a mute", "oh crap, forgot to change the delay time" - it's a PITA. Far easier to have everything pre-programmed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He's Pink Floyd's guitarist.

Yeah, and if want to switch between two different settings on the stompbox, you run two of them in different loops.
Stompboxes are easier for jamming and just fooling around, but we are talking about Pro gear. Being able to set up recallable effects configurations is invaluable if you're a working muso.
I recently went back to a pedalboard in a working band and I'm going back to a MIDI setup because a pedalboard is a pita. Nothing's ever where you want it when you need it. You've gotta bend over and adjust pedals between songs, "oh shit I kicked a pot, now my boost is a mute", "oh crap, forgot to change the delay time" - it's a PITA. Far easier to have everything pre-programmed.

Every day I realize more and more how expensive it is to be a musician.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
It's a bottomless pit that you throw money into.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
One thing that I don't like about rack gear is that a lot of it is line level. That and shit that only plays nice in serial or parallel loops make life a nightmare.

Let's just stop making parallel loops and line level gear altogether and make life easy for everyone, yes?

But yeah, MIDI is the shit. Cath has a Randall RM. This is basically how he feels with his rig:

Also another thing to note, once you get into this price range anyway, digital can replace a lot of analog effects. I have a Line 6 M9, which is relatively cheap, and really the only thing that it really lacks (besides dirt obviously) is a good flange tone that I like. Which is why I have a Mooer Eleclady (Deluxe Electric Mistress clone) which sounds fantastic and gets the tone I want. Similar vein nicer unit is something like a Strymon Mobius.

I don't like TC, I find their MFX to be way too vanilla, just really essential stuff in them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 20, 2014,
I'm just using the Quadraverb in the parallel loop on the RM now. All that old line level stuff. It sounds pretty schmick. Studio gear is line level. FX loops were invented so you could run line level studio effects. You want studio effects to all design around the possibility of some dumbass guitarist using it the wrong way?

Having MIDI on the amp as well does make everything really neat. I just have a MIDI controller, an overdrive or two and tuner on the floor. I could live without the overdrives if I had to.
And actually ..... I have a rack tuner filling a spot in the rack, not being used, so I could dump the Pitchblack too. I like its mute function though. I'll often just use it to mute the amp between sets and leave everything running. I could always do that another way though if I had to.
So in reality, all I need is the controller.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification