I do not have $10,000 dollar gear, but I like the sound I have. That being said....I have a Kustom Defender 5h 5 watt little tube head that is stock I picked up. I use it with a MG50DFX and just plug it into the speaker on the combo. It sounds ok.

I plugged it into an old 20 watt Randall with a Celestion 10" speaker, i just opened it up and attached a 1/4 inch plug with wire directly to the speaker. A friend plugged in a really nice 1972 Tele and using his fingers played some blues and WOW! The 12" MG is a really new speaker and the Randall is years old and I have cranked the heck out of it. The Randall was amazing!

There is no comparison. The little cheap Randall with really used speaker sounded fantastic. I am thinking break-in for speakers is way more important than I thought.

When people say "I have not had the amp past 4 or 5" they are missing out on the tone of a speaker that is broke-in!

Have any of you guys experienced this?
I don't know what Randall it is, but they make a lot of good amps. The reason the MG sounds poor is not because it's a new speaker, its because it's poor non stop.

You should get a new amp.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

You don't need to crank the amp to break in the speaker actually.
I mean it'll not break in if you play at low volumes all the time, but shouting volume or even mid to high TV volume would do just fine.

The problem with the MG speaker is that it sounds plain bad.
Soooo damn ****in bad.
I have had one for about 2 years, which had been used for 2 years before I got it, and it didn't sound good, for a lot of reasons.
Then I tried the speaker alone with my tube amp, comparing it to a randall 8" speaker.
The randall's blew it away for ****'s sake.
A speaker in an amp that cost half the money.

So, yeah, it's not about being broken in or not, it's about being good or not, and the custom MG speaker is in my opinion the worst part of that amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I got an ok sound out of the MG my old school had. It was damn hard work though *******
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
Pics?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Well I hooked the Randall speaker up to the MG50FX to (they are both 8 ohm) and switched back and forth to see the speaker difference. They sound different but not enough to say one really beats the other with the SS amp.

Now guys I know they are low end stuff with limitations, so I do understand it will not sound like a professional rig. I am a little scared because when I plugged in that little tube amp and the sound with the Randall speaker (closed back combo used like a speaker box) was so much better I may start wanting to buy a tube amp combo...Noooo! The damn GAS syndrome I am fighting.

I was thinking if the Randall speaker sounded better with the MG50fx plugged into it maybe a speaker break-in (not true it seems) was needed.

So it appears speaker break-in is not a case here. But the even the cheap tube amp sounds way better with a Celestion/Randall 10" than a MG 12" Celestion/stock closed back combos used like a speaker box.

I am going to try a better speaker in the new MG to see if it helps. I am not playing out and for jamming with friends it still works well enough. I do understand that the amp is the weak part of my setup.

Has anyone replaced a MG speaker and had some success? Eminence Governor or one of those line maybe?

EDIT - oops! I will post in the other forum next time about amp stuff.
Last edited by Chevywizz at Apr 20, 2014,
Why not get a decent 1x12 cab to use with the Kustom?

I would not bother upgrading the speaker in the MG.

the "old" speaker in the randall is just a better speaker for your uses it seems.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why not get a decent 1x12 cab to use with the Kustom?

I would not bother upgrading the speaker in the MG.

the "old" speaker in the randall is just a better speaker for your uses it seems.

or maybe you prefer 10" speakers to 12"s.

look at some old supro amps, ampeg maybe, i have this old ampeg that is hybrid and it has better cleans than just about any of my amps. IIRC $20 or less IIRC. realize that anything can fail, but the older amps are much cheaper and easier to fix (in general)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/