I am having severe writer's block and can't come up with anything unique on a 3 or more chord progression and for the life of me strum patterns. This is the only I have that is interesting. C-D-A-EM or D-G-D-A-Em or Bm-G-Bm-E-Am-Em. OI{U_()U_)((U)(U{()*U_($)*)(U!!!!!! I play the country funk on my acoustic. I have the usual suspects down, Am-Em, C-D-Am, Em-G-Am-Em (done to death), D-Am-Em. The harder I try the more I am losing my mind.
I found that playing bits of chords on the upper strings opened up whole new ideas for me. For example, I might play an F#m using the Dm shape at the fifth fret, then play a C#m using the Bm shape moved up a whole step, then go to a B, and finally A. Second time through, I might substitute a B note at the 7th fret high E for the B chord and end on an E chord. Sounds great, and is a catchy melody.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Well, first you need to learn more of other people's songs.

Second, you could try digging up acopy of, "The Beatles Complete". Their progressions aren't altogether predictable.

And third, you need to come to the grips with the fact that, I, IV, V, pretty much outsells all other chord progressions combined...