Page 1 of 2
I'm so confused.
What is the difference between them?
CFX,DFX and the rest.
Just different iterations of the same depressingly mediocre amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
C is for cat, D is for dog. It's the type of shit they're trying to sell you for your sandwich.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
C is for cat, D is for dog. It's the type of shit they're trying to sell you for your sandwich.

This.

But really, I think the C stands for "carbon fibre", DFX stands for "digital FX" and FX stands for "effects". CFX are the newest and DFX the oldest MG series amps.

They are all cheap practice amps (and some of them are just oversized practice amps).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
marshall's great when you're talking about good tube amps. when you're talking about cheap practice amps, not so much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 1966 SG
No love for Marshall huh?

I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and it is a great amp, the MG/G series is not that good. The older Valvestate and AVT amps are better but still not that great.

If you give us a budget, type of music, location, current gear, gig or practice, new or used we can help you much better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 1966 SG
No love for Marshall huh?

Marshall is not the same as Marshall MG, same as Line 6 is not the same as Line 6 Spider or Fender is not the same as Frontman or Squier. Cheap gear is cheap, no matter what brand you are talking about. And when it comes to Marshall, you need to pay a bit extra for the name.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Their called the MG series because the designers were smoking magnesium.
^ will that make an MG sound better?
Damn I gotta smoke some Mg and then play through my amp, it'd be awesome.

Anyway, yeah, I don't really like marshall in general because of some stupid ideas mr. Marshall introduced, like using jack leads as power cables, though the problem here is the MG series, not the brand.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and it is a great amp, the MG/G series is not that good. The older Valvestate and AVT amps are better but still not that great.

If you give us a budget, type of music, location, current gear, gig or practice, new or used we can help you much better

Well I already have a thread on that but, $250 is what I have to spend.
I want AC/DC and Sabbath tones and I play a 2005 SG Standard.
Save up a bit more and find yourself a used vypyr tube 60, ore save up another bit more and find yourself a used DSL401.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The dsl series is much better, but if you really don't want to save up any more, the mg hdfx aren't bad. You can find them very cheap used because of all the people online ruining their reputation.
Quote by 757ian123
The dsl series is much better, but if you really don't want to save up any more, the mg hdfx aren't bad. You can find them very cheap used because of all the people online ruining their reputation.

Or maybe because they really do suck?

Look, I've got one as well, but I'll not pretend it's anything but an overpriced monitor speaker.

TS, too many other good choices to even consider buying Marshall's Garbage.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by 757ian123

The thing you haven't seemed to notice is, most people who bash mg's...owned one. You're trying to discredit thousands of opinions that carry at least equal weight to yours, with just your single opinion. Its fine if you like the amp, but don't complain about others who do not. Post some clips to convert them.

Ts, you're not too far off a Class 5 if you want a Marshall. They're actually pretty good amps and on a good day go for $250 used. I think they usually go for $3-350.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 20, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
The thing you haven't seemed to notice is, most people who bash mg's...owned one. You're trying to discredit thousands of opinions that carry at least equal weight to yours, with just your single opinion. Its fine if you like the amp, but don't complain about others who do not. Post some clips to convert them.

Ts, you're not too far off a Class 5 if you want a Marshall. They're actually pretty good amps and on a good day go for $250 used. I think they usually go for $3-350.

Also, a Class 5 will fit AC/DC and Sabbath and other more vintage sounds a lot better than an MG. But I would suggest getting one with the low power mode because it needs to be cranked to get all the distortion out of it. And 5 watts cranked will get a bit too loud for bedroom practice. The low power mode will work perfectly for bedroom playing.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 20, 2014,
The Class 5 is great for ACDC and Sabbath. I own the head. The only thing is it has a very strong midrange.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by 757ian123
Judging from my experience only, the MG's don't suck that much when paired with good speakers.
I mean they still don't sound good for the money, but if you already have a cab I think an MG100HDFX would do fine if you wanted to use the crunch mostly.

Though unless you found one for dirt cheap, save up a bit more and get a real amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by 757ian123

haha what? we don't have that much power. look how popular jet cities are online. Look how well they sold in the "real world" and the prices they have to sell them for nowadays. That's just one example. Guitarists who are clued in to online forums are very much in the minority, I strongly suspect.

in fact in the used market i'd say stuff which goes for too cheap because it's *not* one of the well-known brandnames (rather than because of its quality) vastly outnumbers stuff like the MG (which is a brandname) going for cheap used.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 757ian123
(...) the mg hdfx aren't bad.

I agree, they aren't bad. They're utterly horrible.

Quote by 757ian123
You can find them very cheap used because of all the people online ruining their reputation.

The MGs do a great job of ruining their own reputation by themselves, it just takes a somewhat experienced ear.

Of course, if you keep eating dog food and never taste chocolate, you'll always feel satisfied eating dog food.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
^ the crunch channel doesn't even sound that bad when the amp is ran through a good set of speakers.

Though yeah, the amp'd be worth the money it costs if all of the channels were as good as the crunch and the combo came with a T75 or similar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ the crunch channel doesn't even sound that bad when the amp is ran through a good set of speakers.

Though yeah, the amp'd be worth the money it costs if all of the channels were as good as the crunch and the combo came with a T75 or similar.

That's the whole point; why consider an MG at all if you can get a better amp in the same price range?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Well you can get a big, cool half stack with "marshall" written on it for relatively cheap.

The marshall logo is the main reason actually.
I could tell you a long story about why I found myself with one, but the short version is that at 13 I was in a band and we put together some money to buy a guitar amp for a "big gig".
We went to the music store and I didn't impose myself hard enough not to let the guitarist choose the amp himself, even if I though it was too little and it didn't sound particularly good.

But then again, he was the guitarist, and even if he once asked me "well if you don't like marshall tell me, what other company makes amps this good?", I wasn't really an expert.
Then I got myself a guitar and since I paid for it too I used a bit.

I sold it 6 months ago and I had to open it up to fix stuff (opening it didn't even help actually) and I tried my tube amp with its speaker (10", I had the 30w one) ABing it with my other combo's spaker, an 8" "bad dog" in a randall RG25something I got for €55 a couple years ago.

Damn the speaker sounded sooooooo ****in bad...
So since the crunch channel didn't sound as bad as the other channels even thorugh that speaker I figured it would haven't sounded bad at all through a good speaker.

Ah well, I ended up telling you the full story

Though anyway, to summarize, all of the reasons I can think of why you should consider getting a marshall mg aren't about the sound at all.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Whoever said I should post a video, I did. It was an mg vs a jcm 2000 and they sounded very similar but everyone just denied it and said you can't judge sound in a YouTube video. The one thing I will agree with is the distortion sounds bad at high volumes, but that might be the spakers' fault.

I've tried very hard to hate my MG after playing/owning tube amps and I just can't. Sure the tube amps sound better, but people exaggerate the difference way too much. I look at sound from an unbiased perspective, I don't force myself to think something's better because it “should" be or it costs more.
Quote by 757ian123
Whoever said I should post a video, I did. It was an mg vs a jcm 2000 and they sounded very similar but everyone just denied it and said you can't judge sound in a YouTube video. The one thing I will agree with is the distortion sounds bad at high volumes, but that might be the spakers' fault.

I've tried very hard to hate my MG after playing/owning tube amps and I just can't. Sure the tube amps sound better, but people exaggerate the difference way too much. I look at sound from an unbiased perspective, I don't force myself to think something's better because it “should" be or it costs more.

Or maybe, just maybe, they actually didn't and it's you who are biased?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
No love for Marshall? I was one of the first to call the MG shit in this thread. You can hardly call me a Marshall hater, look at my sig. It's not Marshall that is hated, it's their cheap SS stuff that is hated. It's complete garbage with an inflated pricetag because of the logo on the front.
It isn't people on the net ruining Marshall's reputation, they are doing that all by themselves. They push their SS crap onto poor unsuspecting kids who don't know any better and hand over their money thinking they are getting a good amp because, well, "it says Marshall on the front, it must be good." Then they discover that it isn't and feel conned. THAT is what is destroying their reputation, not us.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 20, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020
marshall sucks.

except the fridge, that has great tone.

Pics or it's an MG
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Arby911
Or maybe, just maybe, they actually didn't and it's you who are biased?

No, people agreed they sounded almost the same. But they said it was YouTube's fault
You can do anything with a recording. The proof of the pudding is to plug into the amp yourself and actually play through it. Then the differences are night and day. MG's are lifeless pieces of crap.
This, coming from a man who is often accused of being a Marshall fanboi.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 20, 2014,
Was the thing recorded with a single SM*fiftyseven* (**** my phone) pointed towards the center of the dustcap of the speaker in an MG*four by twelve* cab?
'cause that way, odds are that my amp would sound like an mg's clean channel.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
If you give me a little time to dial it in I can make even a JTM45 sound like shit if I wanted to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 757ian123
No, people agreed they sounded almost the same. But they said it was YouTube's fault

I have played several versions of the MG, I own a JCM2000 DSL100. The MG does not sound like a JCM at all. The only thing it has in common is the Marshall name. I'm cool with people liking what ever they want in an amp, but don't say stupid things like that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I could build a better Marshall in my sleep than an MG. I swear, one day I'm gonna wake up to find a 1974X that I've built while sleepwalking.
Seriously dude, give it up. You're talking to people who know of which they speak. MG's are shit, period.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have played several versions of the MG, I own a JCM2000 DSL100. The MG dot sound like a JCM at all. The only thing it has in common is the Marshall name. I'm cool with people liking what ever they want in an amp, but don't say stupid things like that.

Post a video then and prove it. If I owned both I'd love to do a blind test and see how many people fail.
Do you not understand that there's more to the equation than how it sounds on a recording?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 757ian123
Post a video then and prove it. If I owned both I'd love to do a blind test and see how many people fail.

Sorry, I don't own a MG and I really never plan on buying one, ever

Like what you want, but trust me if the MG sounded the same as the JCM2000, they would have never sold the JCM's because of the price differences.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
honestly i don't think i would buy a single thing marshall that is in production.

MG;s are shit. if i had my recording shit set up (have an interface, monitors a sm57, and now a computer, i am just not the best with computers.

i could give a few splawn vs MG clips... i have one lying somewhere that a former student and he broke his wrist and had a few pins put in. he coudn't play and his mom said thanks and asked if i needed anything, i said no and good luck. then she leads me to the back of their SUV and gave me the marshall free. his sister got his strat.

the DSL's are alright i prefer the 50, but would probably get a 100 and pull a pair of tubes out run it at half volume (MAKE SURE to lower your impedance on your head). if it was a 16, set it at 8).

never liked a marshall hybrid.

the jcm800 900 SL-X are both nice and prevalent in music.
i like plexis,

i built a JTM45 and 1974x which are my favorite. when i get time i will do a JCM some day.

________

as everything goes in MY opinion, they have fallen short of potential and are IMO are a tad overpriced (not to say you can't find a good deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't mind the Class 5 but apart from that the only new Marshall I'd be interested in would be the reissues of the old amps - and even then, I'd just build one myself.
When I bought the RM100 I could have had any new Marshall I wanted but there was nothing on offer that I thought was worth the money and certainly nothing of the same quality as the Randall.
With my Mashall module I get a damn fine Marshall tone, far more Marshally than any of the new Marshalls. It's quite bizarre really, these days if you want a good Marshall tone, you're better off with something made by somebody else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification