So a while back I put a thread out about a squeal on my peavey JSX amp....it was an annoying squeal it only happened when I didn't play and my guitar was up.....almost took place of feedback.....but far worse. I was encouraged to swap my for some new ones. I haven't changed them for 5 years. So I did hoping my tubes became microphonic. So I did yesterday..... People also thought it might be a ground issue in my guitar because I got synyster gates invaders and then it started doing it...got that checked out and out it through another amp.....it was find ( I have an ibanez RG series guitar). Tried a different guitar through my amp and it squealed just the same. Anybody know what is going on? Ideas? Suggestions? I love this amp just hate this squeal.....I cant seem to bring it back to life....need your expert advice. Thank you so much!
When does it squeal? What channel? If you disconnect the cable into the input will it still squeal?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
It does it on the distortion channels.....doesnt do it on the clean channel. If I disconnect the cable it doesnt do it. It squeals when I stop playing like if it was feedback but it is far worse than feedback. So lets say im playing a breakdown on every little pause in the breakdown it squeals......if im playing a riff that doesn't use a lot of sustained notes it does it in between the notes......the only way to get rid of it is turn my gain way down to like 2 or 3 and turn my highs down to about the same 2 or 3 and then turn my volume way down too. I dont know what to do.....oh and another thing....I dont know if this is common but when I turn the amp up and its on the distortion channel it has a hiss.....I assume its normal for the jsx but not sure......all this just started happening after I swapped my pickups (synyster gates invaders, which are some hot pups) in my guitar. So I tried a different guitar and it did the same..... i dont know what to do.
Quote by Jabez'Prayer
Any suggestions guys and gals?

Which tubes did you replace? Can you describe them?

The noise goes away when you unplug the guitar from the amp right?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Also does the squeal go away when you turn down your treble?

Have you tried a noise gate?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I put in some JJ 6l6's power tubes in.....with a high gain set of pre amp tubes. Yeah the noise goes away when I turn treble almost all the way down AND the gain almost all the way down AND the volume down as well.....it doesnt do it when my guitar is unplugged or when my volume on my guitar is all the way off
I wonder if the high gain 12AX7s has something to do with it. Or, very possibly one of the tubes is just bad.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well the problem happened before I changed the tubes.....this is why I even considered swapping them out. This is why it's puzzling me.

They really don't pot them???? Do you think that will solve my problems (nakedintherain)?
Quote by Offworld92
I wonder if the high gain 12AX7s has something to do with it. Or, very possibly one of the tubes is just bad.

Yeah, thats why I was asking those questions. It almost sounded like oscillation.

I'd pick up a noise gate. While it wouldn't fix the problem it might help the symptom.

This only happened after you switched guitar pick-ups? I might be confusing this thread with another one.

Have you tried a new guitar cable?

Anything else you can think of? Any other noises? When did this start happening?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
One of these threads will get locked... try to keep them on topic.

How load are you playing when this happens? Does it still make noise if you turn the guitar volume down all the way?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by NakedInTheRain
sounds like unpotted microphonic pickups. i don't think seymour duncan pot any of their pickups.

they're bound to pot them, at least the higher gain ones, surely? I'll go check. EDIT: yeah I think most of them are potted. that's not to say they still can't be microphonic since the wax can crack etc. i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 24, 2014,
TS says it happens on multiple guitars.

Bad cable somehwere in the chain has to be it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It is possible to get dodgey tubes outa da box. Tap each one with a pencil to test for microphonics. It does happen from time to time. This is why you should always have a known good one on hand for testing purposes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ or that too. I've got a dodgy preamp tube out of the box before which i suspected was microphonic. i didn't spend hours testing, i just swapped it for another one which helped a bit

Quote by Offworld92
TS says it happens on multiple guitars.

Bad cable somehwere in the chain has to be it.

yeah that could well be it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So sorry guys. The topic drifted into that of another thread. So sorry guys. But ur suggestions make sense. I will try them.